Locus Map 4, discussion (pre-release)

Started by Menion, March 18, 2021, 13:00:40

sbouju

I gave a try yesterday to the live tracking fonction from Locus "Gold"...
Is it something which particularily drain the phone battery ?
  •  

Axel D

Yesterday I changed from V14 beta to 4.0.0 Gold. Sync tested, it works. Thank you to all Beta testers for this excellent version.
@Menion Very good job.

Axel

Gesendet von meinem XZ2C mit Tapatalk

Axel

Locus 4 Gold
  •  

janaton

@michaelbechtold Thank you for your feedback. I am already looking into your synced data that I have on the server. I can see a lot of points uploaded but no tracks so I am just guessing that synchronization process did not start sending tracks, yet. That is the reason why you can not see any tracks in the web planner.

Regarding battery drain - yes, there is constant http communication and also a lot of operation to the local LM database so I would not be surprised by more power consumption ... but I am not Android developer so rather wait for @menion for his opinion. It is fore sure possible something not optimal is happening there ...   
  •  

Menion

New version 4.0.0 - RC2 available on Google Play in the Beta channel.

The main changes are related to the subscription system. Hope that all current Pro users will correctly see better prices and subscription flow will work correctly.

@michaelbechtold
I still owe you one answer over email, so I'll write you there.

About sync overwrite (as you wrote with @slarti76) > if the system will be 99.9% reliable, something like this won't be needed. And I believe, it won't take long. Hmm ... I'll think about it. "Keep it simple" is the core idea here. Any complicated info or tools that allows deleting device or server data are a big risk when used incorrectly, so I want(ed) to avoid them if possible ...

@Andrew Heard
I know I know ... I'm trying to push Michal a little bit, he will love me :)

@T-mo
seems your "Premium" does not work at all. Please try this new version once it will be available. Maybe re-login (over Locus Store for now) if no change after the display of the "My subscriptions" screen in the app.

@sbouju
I do not see a reason, why this feature should consume extra power. Well, be aware that it: keeps the device awake, use your GPS and use network connection. These features are really hungry ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: janaton on March 25, 2021, 10:05:47
@michaelbechtold Thank you for your feedback. I am already looking into your synced data that I have on the server. I can see a lot of points uploaded but no tracks so I am just guessing that synchronization process did not start sending tracks, yet. That is the reason why you can not see any tracks in the web planner.

Regarding battery drain - yes, there is constant http communication and also a lot of operation to the local LM database so I would not be surprised by more power consumption ... but I am not Android developer so rather wait for @menion for his opinion. It is fore sure possible something not optimal is happening there ...   

Hi Janaton and Menion,
as it seems the amok already starts with the waypoint DB (6 MB originally), and sync did not reach the track DB work before it broke in the morning.

As the numbers are massive, I am well aware that transferring would take time and energy. I observed and mentioned the drain, but not as a complaint.

Good luck with the data that I uploaded as per Menions PM.
Cheers
Michael
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Jochen

@menion: Everything is fine now :-) . I bought the Gold Version for 11.99 Euro.

Good luck for you and your team.

Kind regards

Jochen
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Menion on March 25, 2021, 10:36:52
@michaelbechtold
I still owe you one answer over email, so I'll write you there.

About sync overwrite (as you wrote with @slarti76) > if the system will be 99.9% reliable, something like this won't be needed. And I believe, it won't take long. Hmm ... I'll think about it. "Keep it simple" is the core idea here. Any complicated info or tools that allows deleting device or server data are a big risk when used incorrectly, so I want(ed) to avoid them if possible ...
Thank you Menion for the PM - answer and data provided via PM.
Simplicity versus power is the battlefield Locus lives in since day 1, right?
And the principle answer has always "advanced mode", full text search in settings and alike, not cutting down Locus to Google Maps level.
So, why deviate here? Just offer a detail mode as described - the necessary data you all have.
And by de-selecting planned actions you would not delete things, right?
If so (things getting deleted somehow, on other device e.g.), then the sync concept itself would be highly dangerous - inherently - anyway. And again such detail mode would help to prevent distruction. Because you would see entries in the tree like
==================
Sync Plan:
Folder/Group         Uploads      Downloads         Deletions
- Africa                         100              20                          5    (plus, if expanded)
-- Morocco                    80              15                          1
-- South Africa              20                5                          4
- Europe                          0                 0                          0
                                        [ ]                [ ]                          [ ]   
==================
The brackets would allow a user to de-select a type of actions completely, without going through dozens or 100s of lines :-)
It's the deletions I am scared of, too, ...

Some good news (with a bit of salt, though): the new version recognized the Gold status on two additional device now. BUT LM4 started as free version with Ads and only after selecting a silver/gold function and running through the subscription process LM4 would work as gold without ads and with the features.
Also: while the Google box shows the subscription data correctly, LM4 offers to subscribe again with the button just 1 cm below.

Cheers
Michael
  •  

Frivold

The upgrade to Gold works for me to! Thanks.

But there is another case: When I try to download elevation-data in Norway, i get this message:
"Sorry, can't download such a big area. Please select a smaller one or zoom the map in."

Isn't it possible to download elevetion-data for whole Norway, when I can download the map for whole Norway? How can i zoom in or select smaller area?

•  

Tapio

Upgrade to Gold worked.

A serious export/import problem? I export multiple tracks to single gpx. Tracks have embedded waypoints.

On import this gpx, LM3 and LM4 do only offer to save the waypoints in a points folder. So their link to the track gets lost. This is crucial for me, my embedded WPs are only interesting in a track/tour context!

Recognized it, because I was reorganizing my LM3/LM4 dbs in order to use sync.

Lomaps and themes, is it planned to make them Mapsforge V4 maps?
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

michaelbechtold

Tapio's post made me look at a LoMap and I noticed that the zoom level indicator is two different from the OAM vector map. Just switch between the two. Happens with overlays and without.

@janaton: can you pls. clean up my sync map data on your server? I have deleted the orphan entries in the waypoint DB, but there are still 30k valid ones left. Many of them with turn instructions, though.
Are they used by Locus somehow, somewhere? For sure I did not enter them manually :-)
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Hi.  Just did some sofa-testing of the pre-release version.  Using it in free mode for now.

I looked at a geocache I'd loaded via GPX.  It didn't show the favorite points (shown as "-", likely because not included in GPX), so I went Update.  Now, I couldn't find the section showing favorite points, the top of the scrolling panel I guess.  Had to exit that view and re-tap the geocache to see it.  A bug?
  •  

Diddi

Quote from: Viajero Perdido on March 25, 2021, 15:12:35
Hi.  Just did some sofa-testing of the pre-release version.

I looked at a geocache I'd loaded via GPX.  It didn't show the favorite points (shown as "-", likely because not included in GPX), so I went Update.  Now, I couldn't find the section showing favorite points, the top of the scrolling panel I guess.  Had to exit that view and re-tap the geocache to see it.  A bug?

It's a known bug. Somebody reported it before. unfortunately Menion couldn't simulate it. I have it, too.

Axel D

I also found a bug in the dashboard. I use the dark mode in locus since it is possible. Now I wanted to add a new icon to the dashboard, this was white, the available ones are black. The text inside the icon is not visible and a white icon can be seen bad in the map.
Could it be, that the color of the icons are complementary to the dark mode?

Axel

Gesendet von meinem XZ2C mit Tapatalk
Axel

Locus 4 Gold
  •  

balloni55

QuoteHmm, now what I do differently?
- log a cache offline
- later tap on the log and choose "edit"
- pick an existing photo and tap on save

exactly my process, I'll test it next week and report back.

Question:
i own a temporary disabeled geocache, after cache maintenance i want to enable it again with locus but this option is not available to me ?! yes i´m logged in ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: 0709 on March 25, 2021, 17:58:22
@ tapio
QuoteTracks have embedded waypoints/
= Navigation Waypoints ?
No. All others. Nav wp, if existed, filtered out on export.
If it's a multi gpx file, wpts are existing in the file, they are just not re-embedded  into the track on db side.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •