Locus Map 4, discussion (pre-release)

Started by Menion, March 18, 2021, 13:00:40

Menion

The final phase in creating Locus Map, version 4.

Today/tomorrow will be published a final version of LM4 into the public Beta channel on Google Play of Locus Map (Free) app. All systems are now up and ready.

Because I've not yet decided how Beta versions will be published, for now, this will be a regular public version that requires an active subscription. So no features will be unlocked like it was till now.

Final status
Locus Map Free > will be renamed to Locus Map (version 4+)
Locus Map Pro > name remains for now as is (for a month or two) till we will be 100% sure, LM4 is stable and perfectly working. Then it will be rename to Locus Classic. Version continue in 3.5+ row.

Final prices and comparison of functionality if you are interested: here. Silver tier is close to the current Locus Map Pro, but gives few bonuses, so something like the "Pro+" version.

Pro users
Locus Map 4 = Locus Map Free - so it remains like before, you may have both apps installed at once (Locus Map, Locus Classic). If data are stored in the root of the internal memory, data will be shared without any worry (for now, in September 2021 things starts to be more complicated, thanks to Google)

Pro users anyway receive one year of the Silver for free or Gold with a 50% discount, which both compensate the price of the Pro version.

FAQ

How to use Beta versions
- how to. The text is old but the bottom part with "What to do to become a tester" is perfectly valid.
- latest version wins, so a new regular update will update your Beta version and opposite
- settings, data, subscription, all remain untouched no matter which version you use!

Discount on the purchase as Pro user
- essential is, to use the Pro version logged into Locus Store with the same account you will use in the LM4
- steps: open in Locus Map Pro > menu > Locus Store. Check in the side panel account
- start Locus Map 4 > menu > Locus Store and check, the account is the same
- if you do not see the "Exclusive" offer, immediately send me PM with your email, I'll check it

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

francisco

I´ve one question: I have Locus at my Samsung phone and also at Garmin Overlander (pro version from Amazon); but Garmin Overlander has no Google Services.
The new Locus 4, to sync between devices, needs Google services, or there will be an Amazon option, or it is not possible at all?
  •  

Menion

Hmm good question. And to be true, I'm not 100% sure. Google Play services are currently necessary for push notifications > so for automatic sync between web and devices (this still may be done manually). Anyway, I'm not sure about the license as it is currently bound to the Google system.

To sum this: allow Google-free system was not a priority for V1. Anyway, even more than with the Pro version, we would like to create a system that will be Google independent as soon as possible.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: francisco

Diddi

Do I understand right?

I'm a Locus Pro user and am currently using the Beta of V4 from Google Drive.
If I want to use the new "official" Beta from Play store, I have to subscript the Beta channel for the "old" Locus Map "free" and will get the new LM4 (where I have to select which subscription model (base, silver, gold) will fit best for me)?
After installing the Beta, I can delete Pro and Google drive Beta versions, without getting any data loss?

Menion

Diddi, good questions, thanks!

I've improved first post which should now give you all the necessary answers. Your expectation is correct except "deleting Pro & Beta (from Drive)".
a) keep Pro, maybe it will be useful
b) Beta from Google Play simply overwrite Beta from Google Drive. Also, new final versions from Google Play simply overwrite Beta from Google Play. There should not be any problem (I hope).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Diddi

Diddi

Question to subscription (not clear to me)
Will I get Gold as current Pro user all the time für half the price (12€) or even just one year like the free silver year?
  •  

Menion

The point of this discount is to give users who paid for Locus Map Pro, their money "back". So in the case of Silver it is 10€ back (Silver for one year for Free), in the case of Gold it is 12€ back (50% discount for the first year only).
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on March 18, 2021, 13:00:40
Silver tier is close to the current Locus Map Pro, but gives few bonuses
@Menion, but also appears to take some routing features away?
LM3.50Pro can use offline BRouter or LM "inner", but LM4 silver can't?
LM3.50Pro can generate alternate routes (recalculate route), but LM4 silver can't?

Quote from: lor74cas on March 18, 2021, 16:38:05
I have seen the annual prices: 0/10/24.
Gold tier EU24 --> ~$A40 per year AND no family subscription, that is a disappointing  jump from current LM3 Pro pricing ;-(

I'll be the 1st to admit I've had extremely good value from Locus over the years with one app purchase, a few months of live tracking, and very cheap LoMaps. But if our family currently has say 2 phones, 2 tablets, does that mean 4 x ~$A40 each year? 99% of the time just one phone is used. It's a massive increase on the current situation.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

@Andrew Heard
nope.
- LM Pro never had "inner" Brouter. If you talk about using an external BRouter app from Google Play, it remains possible no matter what version/premium plan you use.
- alternative routes were also not part of the Pro version.

Maybe you used some beta versions where this was enabled? But never in official production.

Family subscription: look, we almost two months computed expected cost on our servers etc. For a very long time we worked with only a single subscription. But it looks that running servers, LoMaps, LoPoints, all these stuff are so expensive, that the price can't be lower to be safe on our side. So increase? Yes it is. On our side, as well, a huge. Because of the price, we decided maybe a month ago, to create also a Silver tier. This is quite a cheap alternative for users without the need for cloud services and also a big risk for us.

Žajdlík Josef

I have a subscription query. If LM4 Gold is installed on a tablet and phone with the same account. Will one Gold License will be enough in this case?
  •  

Frivold

I just want to say that I'm looking forward to a new version of Locus Map. I have been using LM4 for a while (demo) and I am very happy.

When it comes to pricing the app, I think you have been quite generous considering that Locus Pro can still be used, and will be maintained further.

I bought the Pro several years back, pretty cheap. And when I think about how much I have enjoyed the app, I think I have paid too little. (Once I even bought some LoCoins that I did not need, just to contribute a little). I understand that it costs to develop the app, and I happily pay some euros a year, in exchange for the program beeing continuously improved and developed.

Thank you for the work you do, and congratulations on the new launch!  :)

fraben

I have been using your app with great pleasure for several years and for a ridiculous price !

The subscription you are asking to pay, for me, is just a thank you for all these years and for those that come, thanks to the result of your wonderful work.

François

Quoterunning servers, LoMaps, LoPoints, all these stuff are so expensive
So go radically for maximum efficiency on transfers.

- Database sync of multiple devices over the internet,? For me personally undesirable.
- Limit data traffic by the web planner. Only export as a compressed file.
- Zipped gpx by extension .gpz like gpx viewer app, no .zip rather meant for unzipper apps.
- Easy link the .gpz extension to Locus app and so avoid unexpected unzipper entries.

Navigation instructions in track points, no need to merge track with navwaypoints.
Allows multiple (colorised) tracks inclusive nearby poi wpt's in a single file.
Mutliple tracks do transfer into the track database. Poi wpt's into points database.
Thereby NOT damaging the navigation.

Regular gpx version: 6,280 bytes bytes. Zipped: 1,324 bytes. Outperforms even .fit

Find 2 alternative tracks this including 2 normal poi waypoints. For actual Locus by zip ;-)
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Menion

@Žajdlík Josef
sure it will. This is the point > to have the same data on ALL devices and on the web > for this, a single paid account is needed.

@Frivold, @fraben
appreciate it, thanks guys!

@0709
Willy, this is not about GPX format :). We have currently 4 servers for online LoRouter, separate huge servers for LoMaps, for LoPoints and one monster for an online database with backups and some for testing environment. Together with the five developers we currently work on this project (how this happen last year? Hmm) + 4 other people, zipped export cause a probably 0.00001% difference in expenses.

And I repeat it again: nobody will be forced to leave Pro version, so if you do not care about recent change or web stuff, do not use it. I've decided to publish new updates for Locus Map Pro every month together with Locus Map 4, so IT WILL BE correctly updated = fully working.

slarti76

I agree with Frivold and fraben: Finally I'm able to regularly contribute to the development of my favorite app! :) The business case behind "pay once, use forever" was always fishy, this is not sustainable, and people I think have been getting too used to this. But things are changing, and I really hope your calculations and assumptions pan out!
I'm a software engineer myself, but employed by a big company and only dabbled with mobile apps so far. I am quite intimidated at the thought of having my income depend on this. So very very good luck with this - I'll be getting my Gold as soon as I can 8)