[APP] - version 3.11.x (9. 8. 2015)

Started by Menion, August 09, 2015, 16:40:15

Menion

1. yes, you understand correctly what I wants achieve. And?

2. and how custom icon solve problem no. 1? Problem for balloni55 and others is, that Locus merge all maps in "Germany" folder into single item. Which is what I wants. So to prevent this, I have separated maps from Store and other maps. So all users that use only maps from Store, will see nicely looking structure. All others that use some alternative map sources, will see maps divided as you see.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

@menion: My point 2 was a response to your point 2 (logical?). A custom icon for the map removes the need to separate the folders and give them custom icons. And all the maps can appear in the same structure.
But I'm not sure what you mean by merging all the Germany maps into a single item. My Locus England and Locus Wales maps still appear as two items. Or is this only for new maps?
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jusc

Quote from: menion on September 17, 2015, 08:01:02
1. yes, you understand correctly what I wants achieve. And?

2. and how custom icon solve problem no. 1? Problem for balloni55 and others is, that Locus merge all maps in "Germany" folder into single item. Which is what I wants. So to prevent this, I have separated maps from Store and other maps. So all users that use only maps from Store, will see nicely looking structure. All others that use some alternative map sources, will see maps divided as you see.
Ok, it's time to say thank you for the fish.
For me, most updates didn't make sense since for years.
But why getting excited? ;) So what, I'll delete Locus free (beta test) and stop updating Locus yet.
CU
Regards J.
  •  

Christian

Quote from: menion on September 16, 2015, 22:47:28
Guys, you are probably missing a point of this new sorting.

1. Please check this topic once more: http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/stop-showing-multiple-vector-maps-for-a-single-country-and-the-world-maps-into-a-separate-folder . Because I agreed with popescu idea, that is why this happen.
A request without one vote.
A lot of investment....

Auto update for Locus is disabled since the second last mess with publishing versions not working properly. I am a common user not a beta tester in the wild.
Sorry menion. But i am not happy with things going on...

•  

Menion

"Updates didn't make sense for years", "Not happy with things going on"

Am I missing something guys? It is of course Your choice anyway I'm sure, that you probably noticed, that during five years I'm working on Locus, I'm usually listening to users here on forum in cases, they gives me useful feedback.

If only problem here is new sorting for offline maps, then I'm quite sad that such small change brings such emotions. Change that should just make Locus more user-friendly. Or You think that layout in second screenshot is worst in terms of usability then in first?

Btw. you probably do not noticed, but just for you here (because no one other from 300 beta testers complain), I've added option to sort by previous method (top sorting menu > Directories).

Hmm, I do not know what to say. I still do not see a problem. If some maps sort incorrectly for you, I just need to simulate that problem, so description like "download this map, place it here, download that map, place it here ..." is really required.

And if there is nothing more to say, than guys really thanks for years You were part of quite amazing group of people that stay behind Locus. I'm well aware, that without this forum and people here, Locus remains just "one of many". So thanks! If you will need any older version, feel free to write me, I'll gladly upload it.

EDIT: I still do not understand ... expect that when "updates do not make sense" means that most of changes are from you not-logical, right? When I look on latest version http://help.locusmap.eu/announcement/version-3-11-1-10-7-2015 , I can't imagine that most changes is useless, sorry. Maybe from your users point of view is useless new page with latest blogpost (because this is mostly self-propagation of Michal work on our homepage), but the rest? Hmm :(
  •  

Christian

My post was related to the missed quality assurance and to the pseudo-democratic system introduced by you (requests with the most votes will be implemented at first).

It happend many times to me in the last months that Locus itself or functions within not worked properly (black display on start, guidance a.s.o). And thats outdoor. So i left the one and only tool for planing and navigating i carried with me. Thats not funny an should not happen at all.
And then i have to read that already implemented functions in beta and new final versions not working properly and at the same time you are working on stuff not really needed....
It seems to me that updates of Locus with new functions are forced every four weeks. Its not nessecary.
And...You should better talk with your longterm users instead of say good bye.
  •  

Menion

I can not say anything to my defense if we talk about problematic releases last months. Problem at start were unfortunately made by problems with 3rd party security mechanism, rest was caused by incorrect testing of all possibilities. Sometimes I regret, I'm not creating Locus to iOS, where life is usually a lot easier :).

Anyway really sorry for this. Hope that now all is fixed and no such problems happen. Not sure if you are aware, but such problems are much worst for me. Long night in stress, when I try to find a working solutions on crazy problem together with responses to tenths of emails "why it do not work". I really do not like these evenings, trust me.

"Pseudo-democratic" system - well. Locus active users - around 600.000. Most voted topic - 96 votes. So yes, it is democratic, but number of votes is far away from "most users wants this ...".

"You should better talk with your longterm users instead of say good bye" ... do I really need to defense myself here? Hmm, interesting. Thanks for opinions.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Christian on September 18, 2015, 09:12:10
My post was related to the missed quality assurance and to the pseudo-democratic system introduced by you (requests with the most votes will be implemented at first).
I agree about quality assurance, but apart from that the voting system is better than any other system. And if you have a look, not all highly voted requests are implemented. ;)

Quote from: Christian on September 18, 2015, 09:12:10You should better talk with your longterm users instead of say good bye.
If someone feels pushed to write a terminal "so long and thanks for all the fish" here, what else should he answer?

My two cents here:
I didn't really read the story about the map sorting because it didn't affect me and it sounded rather unimportant to me. I still don't quite get why emotions are running wild about this.
Anyway, as a regular user who doesn't try beta versions, I only experienced vast improvements in Locus since I started using it (ca. 1.5 years). Sure, not all my personal complaints and ideas are tackled. But I understand that. If there's ever a real problem, I always experienced Menion fixing it asap, or at least trying hard to reproduce it. I'm a programmer myself (even though not Android), so I know how exhausting this can be.
And from all I hear about Android I can very well imagine that you can easily get some code in that makes your app fail on startup for a number of devices. I experienced this with other apps (not Locus, fortunately), and most developers reacted much slower on these kinds of problems - if at all. With Locus, you can always be sure that if you report a severe crash with a new version, an update will be there within a day or two at most.

Bottom line:
To me it seems that some people are complaining on a very high level and are not giving due credit where credit's due.
  •  

stebu

Re "pseudo democratic"...
I think that most happy Locus users do not read the forums, therefore the votes are from a small minority.

How to catch the majority?
When a function breaks, is removed or is changed, then the majority might notice it (if they are using that function).

My idea (free to use/discard):
Locus (in the application) could have a feedback form:
-automatically fetches the Android version and device name
-has tick boxes for changed/new/removed features: "I like", "I dislike", "I don't care"
-a comment field for describing what the user thinks about the new version.
-reward a few LoCoins (or fractions) when the form is filled and sent
  •  

john_percy

All I can say with regard to the most recent posts is that I still think Locus is great and Menion responds well (generally) to comments and requests! I just didn't like what I saw in the new beta and commented accordingly...

Anyway, to move on:
In full screen mode, tapping on a point popup gives the point info screen (first screen shot) with the buttons along the bottom. Tapping on either of the two rightmost buttons makes an option menu slide up and the system buttons replace the Locus buttons (second screenshot). Tapping elsewhere (or returning, where possible) leaves the system buttons.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: john_percy on September 18, 2015, 12:35:59
All I can say with regard to the most recent posts is that I still think Locus is great and Menion responds well (generally) to comments and requests!

+1

menion should continue his great work for (most of) us :-)
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

silvermapper

I learnt of Locus Map just two months ago.  I remain in awe of its features.  More than that, though, I have not experienced previously a forum with so much immediate interaction and assistance, which has been of great value to me, nor of a product that receives so much attention. Here, Menion has played his full part.
  •  

jajaballard

@John_Percy,
can not confirm this on my SM-G900F with Andriod 5.0
  •  

Menion

guys, thanks for Your comments, appreciate. Now not all seems to be so bad, thanks!

So based on previous discussion, I think main problem is sorting of maps. Here I suggest two things for these, who are interested - 1) new version today for a test (so we all have same version), 2) special topic here on forum, where you may give me list and source for maps I download and set and test. If there will be anything I should improve it, I'll do it. Rest - please change sorting in "offline tab" to old style - I did this settings for you in latest 3.11.3.4, thanks!

@john_percy and @jajaballard - I'm aware of this problem. Well not exactly this, but similar - I was discussed and not yet fully solved on help desk.  It happen only in fullscreen mode. Damn ...
  •  

Christian

Guys, stay cool and read the details of my post carefully please.
Menion introcuded the voting system and set up the rules. He should stay with his own rules.
And investment of time should make sense. So new sorting of maps with option of switching back to unsorting old system is not effective. Developing weeks on this and have delayed beta and final version means wasted time. And this without a single vote... and a lit of other requests are still waiting.

Imagin' - if you are the guide of the crowd in the wild and the automatic update has installed in the night a version not working properly. What do you think, how many times can you do this before you left alone with this piece of software?
Most of you are younger people used to use buggy software with and without updates. Me not. Publishing a new version is not the beginning of a new developing time by users.
So menion please think about the priorities and QA and keep Locus as the reliable software we know.
  •