[Theme] "Settler"

Started by settler, April 10, 2023, 20:24:40

settler

A theme that I have been making for the second year and now use with OAM all the time.

Once upon a time it was an "active RT5" theme. Then I needed playgrounds, mountains, via ferrata, other colors, etc... and I began to change a lot for myself. Maybe someone will like the theme.

Download - https://github.com/andrey-nekrasov/oam_theme_settler/

ps. The description may not be very good, because google translate :)

Viajero Perdido

Thank you!  First impressions are, I like it.

Oddly, I can't get it to appear in the themes list on my Android 13 tablet.  This is with Locus configured to use the /media/ path, and I even tried unzipping, also tried putting a copy in the /data/ path, even through that folder is otherwise empty and unused.

But it does work on my Android 9 phone, which is set to use the /data/ path, by simply dropping the same .zip into the usual place there.

That might be a Locus issue.  I can't see anything wrong with your theme, and other zipped themes adjacent to this one are showing up in the list just fine.  I tried restarting Locus, clearing cache, nothing helped.  But on the phone, it just worked, instantly.  Both devices are running the current non-beta Locus 4, with the same current OAM V5 maps.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: settler

Tapio

Very good first impression. I like the many options. Display priorities seem pretty much how I like them.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: settler

Andrew Heard

Your theme is working nicely for me with an v5 OAM as a ZIP - thanks. The LM4 validation works. It's quite interesting you have a contours checkbox, I don't recall other themes with this. Karl Chick was asking a question about contours in themes a few days ago, maybe of interest to Karl?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

I know it's an issue of permanent tinkering, but can you have a look?

Lüdinghausen town name disappears at Locus ZL12, re-appears at 13.

You cannot view this attachment.

Just out of interest because I speak a bit RU: Nekrasov, sounds like it means "not beautiful"? 😜
  •  

Tapio

I see, peaks of hills have a high priority for you. Can you consider making them/their text, optional?

51.25468878, 8.05232526
On ZL14, all features are unchecked, there are those lines... we already discussed in Voluntary UK thread, many themes have those...

•  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 11, 2023, 09:14:00Just out of interest because I speak a bit RU: Nekrasov, sounds like it means "not beautiful"? 😜

It sounds like a "famous russian writer" :)
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 11, 2023, 09:14:0051.76810943,7.43945101
Lüdinghausen town name disappears at Locus ZL12, re-appears at 13.

Don't see this, LocusMap normally shows the name.
Version LocusMap 4.15.2.4 beta.

•  

Tapio

Quote from: settler on April 11, 2023, 20:37:31Don't see this, LocusMap normally shows the name.
Interesting. I found it does happen with Germany full, not with Germany North.
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 12, 2023, 21:26:08
Quote from: settler on April 11, 2023, 20:37:31Don't see this, LocusMap normally shows the name.
Interesting. I found it does happen with Germany full, not with Germany North.

The disappearance of certain elements at certain levels in OAM is a constant problem. But I always thought the problem was with LocusMap, not the OAM maps themselves. But maybe there are problems and errors in OAM? On a computer in the Cruiser, there are also such, but less often.
  •  

michaelbechtold

There are two possible root causes I am aware of:
1) if an app does not employ the separate "label layer" from the MapsForge library (Cruiser does, at least has a mode that does), any labels can randomly be cut at tile borders or even disappear. Only @Menion could tell what Locus does or not.
2) with each zoom level new labels can appear (from the underlying map file, or by the rules of the theme). Depending on the priorities of those objects, the new object may supersede the one from a zoom level lower. And if you go up one level, there is 4 times the space, and if lucky, no cometing objects popping up ...
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on April 13, 2023, 10:55:242) with each zoom level new labels can appear (from the underlying map file, or by the rules of the theme). Depending on the priorities of those objects, the new object may supersede the one from a zoom level lower. And if you go up one level, there is 4 times the space, and if lucky, no cometing objects popping up ...

Not really related to this theme, I think. IDK. I now tested those:

Map: OAM Germany @ ZL12
Theme: Elevate
Details ON: [Hiking], Settlement Names, Landscape features
City name Lüdinghausen is off because of that river "Osten-Stever"

Map: OAM Germany North @ ZL12
Theme: Elevate
Details ON: [Hiking], Settlement Names, Landscape features
City name Lüdinghausen stays on, because "Osten-Stever" text is not displayed

To me it seems a settlement name should have priority over a small river...
  •  

michaelbechtold

I think your test shows that #2 is the reason.
And I agree a settlement should "win" against a river. This is controlled by the theme (and the MapsForge library). Did you check the priorities in the theme? And there is the option to set display=always in the theme (for settlements in this case), to take objects out of the priority game.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on April 14, 2023, 00:41:14Did you check the priorities in the theme?

I'm not too much into theming business, but I had a look.

https://github.com/andrey-nekrasov/oam_theme_settler/blob/main/settler.xml

<rule e="node" k="place" v="town" zoom-min="10" zoom-max="13">
<caption k="name" font-family="sans_serif" font-style="bold" font-size="14" fill="#000000" stroke="#ffffff" stroke-width="2.0" text-wrap-width="145" />
</rule>

Extending the 2nd line (caption tag) with 'display="always"' solves the problem for towns of that not big небольшой size. @settler
  •  

Tapio

What is "Show place=locality" about?
  •