[Theme] "Settler"

Started by settler, April 10, 2023, 20:24:40

Tapio

Quote from: settler on April 20, 2023, 13:30:30I think we don't understand each other. You wanted display=always for place=town and I made it optional, enabled via the menu. And as far as I checked, it works. Or do you want something else?
We're talking about the same. I checked it, and it doesn't work for https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?msg=71108 (it's with the full OAM Germany map) - The Town is Lüdinghausen, it's not displayed on level 12 so this cannot be "display=always".
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 20, 2023, 13:41:01We're talking about the same. I checked it, and it doesn't work for https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?msg=71108 (it's with the full OAM Germany map) - The Town is Lüdinghausen, it's not displayed on level 12 so this cannot be "display=always".

As you can see for yourself, the option (display=always) is there, but it doesn't always work. Maybe someone knows the solution, but I do not.
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: settler on April 20, 2023, 15:20:47As you can see for yourself, the option (display=always) is there, but it doesn't always work. Maybe someone knows the solution, but I do not.
The rule doesn't apply at all (I tested with some ridiculous font sizes), but I don't know why.
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 20, 2023, 16:21:45The rule doesn't apply at all (I tested with some ridiculous font sizes), but I don't know why.

display=always doesn't help, the name of the river removes the name of the city. Now the name of the rivers will be shown from level 13 and in a smaller font.

version 2.0.19
https://github.com/andrey-nekrasov/oam_theme_settler/releases/
  •  

michaelbechtold

It could be that in full Germany map this settlement is not included at all, while the Germany_<region> maps include objects already at a lower zoom level. COULD be. not sure, though.
If that is true, you can play with themes for ages without desired result ...
Just looked up the object in OSM: 29397363, place=town. So above should not apply.
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: settler on April 20, 2023, 19:12:35
Quote from: Tapio on April 20, 2023, 16:21:45The rule doesn't apply at all (I tested with some ridiculous font sizes), but I don't know why.
display=always doesn't help, the name of the river removes the name of the city.
I disagree, it's the whole option you added, that had no effect. I added display=always in all your recent versions to towns, and it worked. The town name got written on top of the river.
As in my attachment.
IMO it should be added to place=capital?, town, city and village.
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 20, 2023, 21:15:11I disagree, it's the whole option you added, that had no effect. I added display=always in all your recent versions to towns, and it worked. The town name got written on top of the river.
As in my attachment.
IMO it should be added to place=capital?, town, city and village.

I'll take a look, but for now, I won't always use display=always. I like my variant so far. The name of the town is now shown at level 12, IMHO this is enough and I have not seen such a glitch anywhere else.
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: settler on April 21, 2023, 06:58:55I'll take a look, but for now, I won't always use display=always. I like my variant so far. The name of the town is now shown at level 12, IMHO this is enough and I have not seen such a glitch anywhere else.
OK. I personally don't see a problem in display=always on town names, for me it solves problems... but I can always edit myself then.
  •  

john_percy

If you have a reasonably big town or city you get a zoom level where either the town name is off screen (if you are not looking at the exact centre of the town) or the name obscures other detail you might want to see. At that zoom level, you probably know what town you are looking at anyway. So my thoughts are there should be a maximum zoom level at which the names of cities, towns, suburbs appear.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

T-mo

missing city-/town-names:
see below 2.0.19
same with 2.0.13

maybe it's due to priorities, or missing tags (display="always"), or a rare case pointing to sth. further

(just a sidenote reg. appearance if yours is slightly different: generally using Maps>Adv.Features>125% magnify all maps and Maps>Offline>125% Text size)
edit: added tag-description
  •  

john_percy

I think @settler may be correct about the river name taking unwanted priority. If I recollect correctly, I found pathtexts didn't  respect display priorities I had set. But I can't remember the details.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: settler

settler

At this level, the name of the city is definitely not needed.
  •  

Tapio

But my main point is not, if city names are shown until a high zoom level. It's personal preference.
My point is, there's some uncertainty of them not showing up as in the example @ZL12 OAM Germany.

I mean I can handle it now. I want perfection here, which is possible and oh, how I hate the old days, where cities/towns sporadically showed up. Endless priority tinkering and still a local Kindergarten name was shown instead of Berlin.

Quote from: settler on April 21, 2023, 14:42:54At this level, the name of the city is definitely not needed.

I prefer it. Paper map vibes, where the town name is on top. For detailed POI analysis I may zoom in more or use database anyway.
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on April 21, 2023, 15:23:53Endless priority tinkering and still a local Kindergarten name was shown instead of Berlin.

A good description when you make a theme :))
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Hi Andrey, I created a fork of it, I hope this is OK. But still I'm a bit clueless about Github though, wasn't even sure if forking is the right thing to do.

I have some different preferences. Tamed peaks a bit, gave weight to city/town/village/neighborhood names, also to parking/shelters/picnic_sites/viewpoints.

Wanted to have friendlier greens, it's a difficult affair, probably due to partial transparency and layering. What I wanted to achieve is what I now have in ZL14+. But lower ZL are different. Didn't find the issue yet.

Code: https://github.com/tortuosit/oam_theme_tapiola
Release: https://github.com/tortuosit/oam_theme_tapiola/releases/tag/Theme
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: settler