[APP] - version 3.46.+ ( 26. 5. 2020 )

Started by Menion, May 26, 2020, 13:56:44

slarti76

One more thing about the Backup:
I still think that "Back up settings only" should backup data\dashboard and data\presets directories, too. To me, they're integral settings. Right now, when I do manual backups, I always do the full backup and then delete the data\database folder from the ZIP to save space.

Žajdlík Josef

In Beta 3.46.2.4. I can't restore settings from a backup created in the PRO version.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on July 02, 2020, 14:05:59
In Beta 3.46.2.4. I can't restore settings from a backup created in the PRO version.
Yeah, had that problem, too, but wasn't sure if that's supposed to work...
  •  

Menion

The issue in backup restore found, thanks!

About content of settings-only backup: I'll think about it. Presets: right, they are some kind of settings. Dashboard are more a "content" than a setting...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on July 06, 2020, 11:48:06About content of settings-only backup: I'll think about it. Presets: right, they are some kind of settings. Dashboard are more a "content" than a setting...
I disagree, but also think that it's most important to include presets, especially as I (and most others, I presume) tinker with these regularly. Can live without including dashboards...

Andrew Heard

Quote from: slarti76 on July 01, 2020, 09:55:12
One more thing about the Backup:
I still think that "Back up settings only" should backup data\dashboard
@slarti76 - I agree.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

slarti76

Question:
At OpenAndroMaps (https://www.openandromaps.org/) they're talking about more and more HighRes SRTM data being used (to allow altitude lines with 10m resolution).
As far as I can see, Locus still downloads the same HGT files as it did years ago, at least the size hasn't changed which strongly implies the resolution didn't improve.
Is there any chance that Locus downloads higher res data, too - where available? Or is there a source for HGT files to download and manually copy into the data/srtm directory? If Locus can use that at all?!

michaelbechtold

Hi slarti76,
you can find the LIDAR based DTMs at http://data.opendataportal.at/dataset/dtm-austria
I doubt Asamm would volunteer to host the 25MB/piece data ...
Cheers
Michael
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: slarti76

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 08, 2020, 10:22:59
Hi slarti76,
you can find the LIDAR based DTMs at http://data.opendataportal.at/dataset/dtm-austria
Thx! I manually tried the Swiss ones.
Good thing is, it works flawlessly with Locus. You can see the resolution is better, especially if you turn on Slope Shading, which shows more details. Simple Map Shading is also a little more detailed, but not enough to justify 10x the size.
Mountain peaks are also still not very exact, I spot-checked some and usually saw 5-15m less than the official SwissTopo says.

So, I have to admit that it's probably not worth the hugely increased space requirement.
In the end, the better data is best used in OAM, where they now have 10m contour lines instead of 20m, which definitely improves the usefullness in the mountains and moves them closer to official maps.
  •  

michaelbechtold

•  

Tapio

Stable branch, there is still the issue we discussed earlier, save a track from route planner, enter route planner from this track again: it only remembers start and endpoint 😕
Still don't know why it happens sometimes, sometimes not.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

slarti76

Question about this changelog entry about "GPS only when app in foreground (Android 11"):
Doesn't that kinda kill all recording ability - for Locus and all GPS apps? That sounds like the end for all GPS recording apps, if I have to keep the phone on and the app open for it to record. Or do I miss something?

Sorry if that has been discussed before, but the search is not usable for searches like "Android 11"...

Menion

@slarti76
Petr periodically updates available HGT files, so they are not exactly the same. But resolution remains the same. We still do not have a mechanism for updating of these files on devices and also do not have a system to offer download more detailed elevation files. Because they are a lot bigger, it may need some "chooser" in the app UI.

Regards quality ... I think it worth it's 25MB. You may compare results on "fill elevation" over some route in mountains. The difference may be huge. And 5-15m difference on the peak? It's better than I should expect :).

And GPS stuff ... sure, it break recording, navigation atc. when the screen is turned off or the app is minimized. Unfortunately Android 10 and mainly new Android 11 hide option to use GPS always a little more, so I was forced to request "Use only when visible" at the start and "Use always" a later when any feature really needs it (like track recording).

@tapio
well, I wasn't able to simulate this problem yet ...

•  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on July 11, 2020, 12:04:32
@slarti76
Regards quality ... I think it worth it's 25MB. You may compare results on "fill elevation" over some route in mountains. The difference may be huge. And 5-15m difference on the peak? It's better than I should expect :).
What about if ZIP of HGT was supported? Then for example 25MB N49E015.hgt (Italy/ Austria) is reduced to 7MB file. Low res N49E015.hgt is 3MB, so just over double size. Or all HGTs can go into a single ZIP - maybe performance issues I guess.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

ZIP is used for the transfer, but definitely not usable for real-time usage.
  •