Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

john_percy

I successfully connected my maps with both LoMaps and OAM databases (one at a time), which seems OK for me.
The LoMaps database serves a number of purposes:
- offline address search
- offline poi search
- poi overlay on maps
- reverse geocoding (address lookup pop up)

I think I am still unable to select which online/offline source to use for the address lookup pop up, which would be really helpful.
- Online, Google is excellent and includes postcodes but depends on a data connection. Currently I can choose which of the online sources is used if there is no offline database available, which is good. (Btw Graphhopper look up is flawed and returns an address in USA for a town with the same name as mine in the UK.)
- Offline, LoMaps database is generally good-ish but returns a neighbouring town frequently. I would like to be able to turn this off in normal use. However I would like to be able to select it if there is no data connection.
- Offline, OAM databases have no addresses and therefore don't work for this function and effectively block reverse geocoding. I would like to be able to choose not the use OAM databases for reverse geocoding.

Maybe that's too much to ask but I thought I'd set it all out here.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

freischneider

for me the LoPoint is also going well. Of course it would be nice if you could choose which category you want to display and which not.
Ideally for each activity extra (preset)
Maybe you can combine that with the theme. The question is of course whether it is also possible with OAM Theme.
Similar selection fields already exist in the OAM theme.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Tapio

Lopoints, it's a beginning. I hope there will be reworks to the Lopoints window (scroll, scroll, 100, scroll scroll scroll, 200... just saying) 😊
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

@Žajdlík Josef
hope this helps you and also some others who struggle with the custom POI database.

Currently, SQLite address/poi database has to be attached to any vector map. This is done simply by name, where the database has to have a name by this scheme:
- map: <<name>>.osm.map
- db: <<name>>.poi.db or <<name>>.osm.db

Loading of POIs in the recent Alpha version is anyway different. Previously, the app picked POI db based on the selected vector map. Now it is completely independent and the app checks automatically the visible area and load/unload DB(s) automatically. So flexible & independent on the map.

@john_percy
I've noticed an idea about online/offline sources for addresses at the help desk. This is currently not possible. If exists an offline address database for required coordinates, it is always used. Otherwise is used as an online source that is defined in settings > misc.

I believe that problems with offline addresses were not known to Petr (who take care of this) and he will look at it.

If DB contains pois or addresses is define inside this database by versiondbaddress and versiondbpoi keys in MetaData table.

@freischneider
more specific setup ... we will see. Not for now, but probably later. I now have to wait on Radim (wrote about in here) for a final version of new POI database.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

poutnikl

When I have tried direct OAM map Locus download via Locus action link on OpenAndroMaps.org site:

locus-actions://https/www.openandromaps.org/wp-content/library/xmlV4/Czech_Republic.xml

the download immediately fails (but it says it was successful as @johnpercy says below).  The same for UK_Saint_Helene ( 1 MB only on mobile data)  as a test case.

Doing so in LM3 Pro is OK.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

john_percy

True for me too. Locus very quickly says the process is successful but no map is downloaded when using the alpha. Ok with Locus Pro.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

T-mo

• LM4 3.45.1.2 crash: Share > Text Message > close panel via upper-right-window-cross
  • LoPoints: still at the beginning to use it..as the screen completely hides the map and does not reduce to lower-half e.g., I am sometimes a bit lost..and start to switch back and forth. Attached a design-draft about the appearance. I already switched on Cinema (> 100 POI) and Theatre (> 100 POI), so these are the 200 POI shown. Going through the list and you might not recognise what's already shown and what's not. Draft: light-grey for submenu (the intent is very small, so submenus are hard to differ IMHO) & additional buttons
  • LoPoints: the general conflict: map-theme and shown points here, and separate overlay-POIs: do you think some kind of overlay-style is possible, to better recognise the POIs - maybe the map-layer as greyscale or dimmed or sth. (adjustable like overlay-modes), while POI-overlay is shown, or a flashing button where the POIs (Icons) go blinking (normal<>white). Maybe just the POI-Icons need some contrast-edge like the scale..? Just ideas, dont know..

Always made a circle around the dashboard-thing, thought of it about being 'another topic to dig in'.. ;D Well, with the Editor it's so damn easy and awesome, love it 8) Thanks for making Locus that nice!

P.S. sorry, missed it to mark the image with DRAFT to not confuse others - next time

edit: layout..
  •  

poutnikl

Try LM4 3.45.1.4 form Apr 30

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

T-mo

Quote from: poutnikl on May 08, 2020, 12:07:01
Try LM4 3.45.1.4 form Apr 30
Thanks. Must have been a silent release (?), haven't found any notes on that..
Also .2, that I used, and .3, if went public, no more available - which is still ok to me, let's stick to future  :D

• LM4 3.45.1.4 crash: Share > Text Message > close panel via upper-right-window-cross
  •  

balloni55

what means green dot down left?
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Andrew Heard

@balloni55 - green dot indicates unviewed notifications.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55

Menion

@T-mo
thanks for the feedback related to the LoPoins system (and crash in "Share dialog" as well > fixed).

The general idea of these points is that they are permanently visible on the map screen, with a different setup for various zoom levels (defined by the current vector V3 theme!). This method to display 100 points from a single category should be used only rarely for cases, you want to display certain points on the map permanently.

Btw. these floating active LoPoins already have a small white border, maybe just not so visible :).

Anyway, what I currently made in LM4, is just an ability to enable this overlay for every map, not just for vector maps. There is anyway need for some usability improvements like you wrote and it will come a little later.
  •  

Menion

Aaaand new Alpha 3.45.1.4 LM4
(sorry for the same name, important is code 930. Name now matches the "same" Locus Map Free/Beta version just published on Google Play).

EDIT: sorry, Michal found some technical problems ... I'm working on it.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

T-mo

LM4 930:
nah, LoPoint-feature doesn't work as expected, bugs appearing. Switching it on via eye-symbol and without any LoPoints selected/activated several POIs are still shown, automagically (so LoPoints everything is 0 but on the map symbols are shown after layer-activation via eye-smybol). Seems to be cafes etc. Eye-status and LoPoints-menu>'display on map' often does not match.
But great next step.

ideas for the future

• integrate OSM-alternative for sharing location as text message: maybe https://www.openstreetmap.org and right-click>show adress/panel left side or right side share-menu. Sharing via long/lat as https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=zoom/latitude/longitude Maybe this is a sort of reference https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Browsing#Sharing_a_link_to_the_maps.
  • see attached pics: I kicked around with my Mibo Mastr 8) In my opinion from longtime-usage: honestly I mostly dislike the graph as it is missing some smooting/interpolation. I question that sometimes the shown drops in the graph (speed) are worth the space of drawn lines and their width  :D I  still have to optimise my rec-settings. Maybe - one day - the line is smoothed and there is a drop-down, somewhere close, where someone can select the smooting/interpolation - none (current state, raw, point > point via line), simple, etc)
  •  

Tapio

Map content panel, the top map/theme entry. While I understand the logic, another approach would be more convenient maybe.

A new row just for the theme. If you tap left, you could pick a theme. If you tap right, the properties of the currently selected theme would appear. Currently, I think, theme properties are too far away, but are important, need regular fiddling.
Another advantage would be, the chosen theme is displayed in that new row in the content panel.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •