Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

Menion

Base topic to discuss slowly coming Locus Map 4 version.

Why?
We wrote about Locus Map 4 here: https://www.locusmap.eu/locus-map-lets-talk-future/

When?
We planned this already a few months ago. Then we rather decided to do it more carefully, so next more realistic date is in the middle of 2020.

Anything change to me?
Locus Map Free > will be changed to Locus Map and actively developed. Changes in this topic will be included only in this version.
Locus Map Pro > will be changed to Locus Classic and will be in permanent maintenance mode. What it means? Still updated mostly every month with fixes and minor improvements to keep it fully working & stable. Ideal for users who like current solution and don't like changes or planned subscription model. I believe, more than fair offer ;).

How to help?
Currently best to watch this topic and help with some major decisions. Alpha version for field testing will come soon.

Latest version for download.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Menion

Maybe I'll get too much feedback ... but I'll still try it :).

Here is how look my Locus Map now for private testing ... what you think? I won't give you any explanation or extra description, just a quick "feel" (and you may, of course, note "what you may miss on this layout most"), thanks ;)

EDIT: main moto: 1. usable outside (not just on couch), 2. simple for new users

•  

Tapio

My thought: "erm, wut? no pls. and too white" - Looks like Locus for Apple users. I'm saying that in a polite manner 😋
Cannot be seen here. But just saying: Double tap and show/hide bars is essential.
I rethink if what you do is a special, basic edition.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

poutnikl

I miss the upper status bar. And I agree with "too white".

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 9, via Tapatalk

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on December 06, 2019, 18:37:27
I assume for experienced users/ old users that don't like change ;-) it will be possible to change layout to what they currently prefer eg. with side panel buttons? For cycling I prefer the zoom/ main dashboard buttons to be large & along the screen edge to minimize false taps.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: 0709

Menion

Hehe, something close to this will probably come (for Locus Map 4).

- right side buttons will be there, just hidden by default
- top toolbar with status (coordinates, time etc) will be also available and also by default hidden. Because it won't contain any action buttons, I'm thinking about its usage for some "Running services" (like a shortcut to track recording, parking etc. when this service is active).
  •  

poutnikl

I hope the left side selectors like for theme switch/config and similar will be hidden by default=available for opt-in.

Menion

We discussed this quite a lot and nope. In this case, I need to figure out a useful-enough solution and replace them with something more consistent with the rest of UI.

I personally find "track recording" left button super useful as informative button > clearly see if the recording is running. Anyway on the bike or even during a walk, tap on these buttons is something really horrible experience. At least for me. And now with Android 10 and it is new "Gesture navigation", it sometimes ends with the completely closed app (because of two failed attempts that very recognized as "back" gesture).

I think in worst case, most of functions may be created as "Action". It means function that may be placed into functions panels or the main menu.

poutnikl

I agree with the GUI consistence.

Left bar could  pop up with consistent elements  by the same way as right bar can ( which I have already full, hidden by default and popping up by map double tap).

Tapio

Quote from: poutnikl on December 07, 2019, 10:26:26Left bar could  pop up with consistent elements  by the same way as right bar can ( which I have already full, hidden by default and popping up by map double tap).
Agreed and same here.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: menion on December 06, 2019, 18:37:27

Here is how look my Locus Map now for private testing ... what you think? I won't give you any explanation or extra description, just a quick "feel" (and you may, of course, note "what you may miss on this layout most"), thanks ;)

EDIT: main moto: 1. usable outside (not just on couch), 2. simple for new users
Hi,
for my taste there is too much white space wasted as a frame around the bottom panel icons.  I think it is better to reduce it to increase the visibility of the map or enlarge the icons to improve their visibility.
With the two-finger zoom now default in any app I don't think the zoom buttons are needed except in particular use cases.
In this mockup I do not understand if the upper bar will be visible and with which infos.

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: lor74cas on December 08, 2019, 18:28:07
With the two-finger zoom now default in any app I don't think the zoom buttons are needed except in particular use cases.
for me while cycling, gloves, maybe cold hands, two large zoom buttons are more reliable, vive la difference
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a

lor74cas

Quote from: Andrew Heard on December 08, 2019, 21:56:15
for me while cycling, gloves, maybe cold hands, two large zoom buttons are more reliable, vive la difference
As I wrote this is a use case, there are also the physical volume up and down buttons that activate the zoom.
For me there must be a clean basic user interface that everyone can customize for their own purposes.

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Disagree totally, sorry.

Two-finger zoom is a pain in the butt!  So is finding the hardware buttons.

If the on-screen zoom buttons ever disappear, I'll use an old version of the app in perpetuity.

Viajero Perdido

PS, I had to think about why that prototype screenshot was bugging me...  Now I know.

There are things covering up parts of the map.  Four round things.  The map to me is #1, it's the reason for the app.  I have Locus set up to show a clean map rectangle, and all the cruft is outside of it, in panels where it belongs.  (Other than scale and invisible [!] copyright, but close enough.)

Also, I like BIG targets for the + and - buttons.  They're quite big now, but those fat round circles in the prototype look smaller and harder to hit, certainly harder with the left thumb.

My two euro-cents...  :)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: tramp20, 0709