Locus Map for Garmin

Started by Jan Čapek, April 17, 2019, 10:14:43

Papaluna

Hello Jan,
i buied and installed premium version onto my Fenix 3HR.
I have made first navigations and didn't encountered any crash.
Pretty good.
Howsoever i'm missing really the optio to import tracks/routes.
Is it caused by the limited memory.?
Might it be an option to serve a second app with this function?
Kind regards
Gert
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi Gert,

thanks for feedback. Unfortunately Fenix 3 doesn't support to import track via Connect IQ app, because of missing functionalities in its old CIQ version. Honestly, I was also surprised by this limitation.

So unfortunately, it is not possible to provide this feature on this model.

Jan

•  

Papaluna

Hi Jan,
thats really strange.
I just exported a track from Locus.
I than opened the track with 'open with' option.
This offers me to choose Garmin Connect.
After this the track was imported into GC.
And from GC i can transfer the track to my Fenix 3.
So in general it is possible to transfer.
But it is really not user friendly.

2.no deviation alarm
Today navigating a track in Locus i could hear deviation alarm voice from Locus(fortunately i had forgotten to mute sounds otherwise i had missed this alarm) but doesn't see a hint on Fenix.
Bug or missing function?
Kind regards
Gert
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi Papaluna,

yes, this import works and I agree it is not really user-friendly. But I talked about importing via Connect IQ app like Locus Map. And that is not possible on Fenix 3 (unlike newer models which allows you to import track with two clicks via our app).

We have lots of planned features and some alert via Garmin before changing direction is one of them. The only question is how much we will be able to squeeze to already fully used memory limit on Fenix 3.

Jan
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Kalti94

sbouju

Garmin fenix 6 is available now, Christmas is coming soon, Locus Map for Garmin is already paid, so... ;)

Concerning the fenix 6, can have the 6x version (with cartography) any interest over le 6 version (without cartography), for using it mainly with LocusMap, for that purpose? Not speaking here of its screen (a little larger,) nor the music related fonctions.
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi Sbouju,

Fenix 6 is already supported, so why don't you install it? Broken maps on Fenix 6 will be fixed in next few days with new version.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't understand your answer at first.
Yes, with Fenix 6 PRO, you will have in Locus Map additional screen with Garmin maps. But with version 2.0.0, which will come in just few days, you will get another map screen in Locus Map regardless Fenix 6 model you choose to buy, so this might ease your decision. ;)

Jan
  •  

sbouju

Quote from: Jan Čapek - WearSoft on October 08, 2019, 16:30:56
Fenix 6 is already supported, so why don't you install it?
Good idea! I just need to make the (good!) choice for buying one of its numerous models, before this installation...  ;)
  •  

sbouju

I have another question: on a fenix 6 (Connect IQ compatible) but which is not "Pro" or "X" (without any Garmin original cartography), can the watch show my smartphone LoMaps current map on its screen, as can do my Sony SmartWatch 3 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWDjzbVQf8w

Viewing the under picture and reading the documentation tends to answer "yes", but I want to be sure, because the purchase of a fenix 6X (with cartography) is something heavy, and not so really useful if one can do quite the same things with a "standard" fenix 6 or 6S *AND* "Locus Map for Garmin"  ;)

On an other hand, seing what can already bring the WearOS compatibility of LocuMap, I can even consider buying a (cheaper...) Casio Pro Trek Smart WSD-F30 or WSD-F21 sport and connected watch, in place of a Garmin one...

And in the same spirit, another (full) Locus wrist solution under, tested, but abandoned, mainly for the poor GPS reception of the Jelly Pro  :(

•  

lor74cas

Hello,
I'm an old Locus user (and beta tester) and I'm happy to see the development of Locus for Garmin.
I have a Samsung A5 2017 and a Gramin Forerunner 235.
As you suggested some post ago I tried this case of use:
track recording and navigation on the phone that receives the heart rate data from the watch and it works.
I think it's not very user friendly but the problem is from Gramin side, I need to go on Garmin options start and stop transmission of heart data if I do not use it for too much time (the smartwatch not the heart  ;D ).

Are the fields of track recording's watch-face customizable?
Now I see TIME - DISTANCE - TIME FROM START - CURRENT ALTITUDE.
For my experience  TIME needs an own watch-face (as other Garmin apps and watch-faces do) and the 4 fields need to be customizable.
How about to choose the first 4 from the config of locus map recording panel ?
In this way every one can choose  the best that fits his habits.
In my case I'd like to see HEART RATE - POSITIVE GAIN instead of TIME and CURRENT ALTITUDE.

Just another suggestion: you did a good job with the data field on the DEVICES watch-face but it's graphically horrible.What about:

Phone ------ Watch
OFF     REC     OFF
OFF     GPS      FIX
62%     BAT      81%

With Phone column withe, middle coloured, Watch column black.
I also suggest a bold font to increase readability.

Good job I think you did a nice app to make our life easier.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Jan Čapek

Quote from: sbouju on October 13, 2019, 12:39:45
I have another question: on a fenix 6 (Connect IQ compatible) but which is not "Pro" or "X" (without any Garmin original cartography), can the watch show my smartphone LoMaps current map on its screen, as can do my Sony SmartWatch 3 ?
Hi, I missed your question, sorry. Yes, now you can even with natively non-map garmin models (except the oldest one)!   :)

EDIT: But one thing to add here: Fenix 6 PRO and other Garmin music or map models can utilise more memory for the app which Locus uses for better map caching when changing the screens and ability to activate enhanced map colors mode. Nothing fancy, but just want to point out, that although both F6 and F6 PRO can render maps via Locus, F6 PRO can do it a LITTLE bit better. Sorry to complicate your decisions a little. :)

Quote from: lor74cas on October 25, 2019, 16:45:19Hello
Datafields are not yet customisable but it is of course one of the feature which we want to bring in some future versions.
Thank you for the feedback! The app must supports lots of screen sizes and layout configurations, so its not easy to fine tunes fonts/pixels on all models. We will try to improve it in the future. :)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: sbouju

fera

Hey Jan!

I really like this activity app, I have used your implementation for Sony Smartwatch 2 and for Android Wear in the past, but this is the right way, I think. I am a proud owner of a Forerunner 645 Music for 3 whole days now, so this came just in time for me.

I would be glad too if the data screens would be customizable, but as a quick fix, if this bigger change requires more effort, it would be enough for me if I could see the current (pedal) cadence in the watch-side data screens.

Oh and also, if someone pairs the sensors with the phone app, and start recording there, do you plan to just mirror out the measured values to the phone data screens in the Garmin app? So no broadcasting or duality, only the already measured values would be indicated like with the distance for example.
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi fera,

first for all, I am not author of apps on Wear OS and Tizen.  These were done by Locus team. :) 

Not sure if I will be able to squeeze cadence somewhere until I release version with customised datascreen, but lets leave it open now. :)

As for the sensors connected to the phone, we may apply similar customisation to even phone recording screen for the future, but there are some technical challenges here, so can't promise anything yet.
  •  

lor74cas

Today I have to report a crash.
Last Locus Version, last plugin version, last connect version.
Garmin forerunner 235 and Samsung A5 2017

I was recording a track with locus, ant heart monitor active from the garmin, the app watch alert me for lost connection after 1 hour of recording.

On the watch I tried to restart the app, but at restart the watch rebooted not only the app.
On the phone I noted that the bluetooth was disabled (without any action from me), no way to restart the service. I stopped locus but no way ti restart bluetooth. I noted that after the locus stop the plugin was active in the notification bar, no way to stop it.
So i restarted the phone, this solved the issue and I was able to restart locus, garmin app and connection.

I think this is a serious bug becouse I had to reboot the phone.
What I need is something to set and forget, I do not need something I have to set up during a 4 hours of trailrunning.

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi,

thanks for your report. So based on your description, something in your phone crashed during your activity resulting mallfunction of Bluetooth service. I am afraid I can't affect stability of Android OS, the app doesn't do any control of Bluetooth connectivity. You are first to report such issue.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Jan Čapek - WearSoft on December 08, 2019, 15:12:36
Hi,

thanks for your report. So based on your description, something in your phone crashed during your activity resulting mallfunction of Bluetooth service. I am afraid I can't affect stability of Android OS, the app doesn't do any control of Bluetooth connectivity. You are first to report such issue.
I wear the watch every day, with bt active and devices connected just for have phone notifications, this never happened before.
And ... there is always someone or something that arrives first, in my races is always someone else

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •