live-tracking.locusmap.app web page

Started by Tapio, March 19, 2019, 18:29:42

lor74cas

Done: https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/live-tracking-unstable

If it was necessary to write on the help desk you could tell me on April 30th when I reported the problem.
To simulate the bug I can do nothing but activate or deactivate the phone's data connection, it would not be legal to cut down the telephone pylons and I can't even enter and exit the tunnels to simulate a disconnection, it's not my job, I have other things to do .
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: milan.cejnar on July 22, 2019, 18:26:59
As for seeing your position multiple times, are you really using the same Locus account and the same Android device? Has the device been factory reset or rooted in the meantime? Or was the subscription really the only thing that has changed? If that is the case I would like to know (by a private email or PM) the name of the group and your email address that is linked with your Locus account if possible, thank you.
thanks @milan.cejnar - 1) same Locus account 2) same Android device 3) unrooted, no factory reset 4) yes - used LT as free trial ~2 months ago then canceled, then paid for subscription last week 5) name of group as in screen cap - "AJH" 6) will PM email address.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: lor74cas on July 20, 2019, 15:38:56
The notification writes green and red results of LT but when the phone is offline there is no red add to count as I expect, there is no news from the notification seems frozen.
@lor74cas - is this the same behavior as I wrote in separate post - https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6544.new#new - for which BTW I received ZERO comments. I guess it was a long post, but my point #1 I suggest is a bug - the LT icon should not be green when there is no mobile data available. It should behave the same as the GPS icon/ button - green/ orange/ disabled.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Andrew Heard on July 23, 2019, 01:31:34
Quote from: lor74cas on July 20, 2019, 15:38:56
The notification writes green and red results of LT but when the phone is offline there is no red add to count as I expect, there is no news from the notification seems frozen.
@lor74cas - is this the same behavior as I wrote in separate post - https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6544.new#new - for which BTW I received ZERO comments. I guess it was a long post, but my point #1 I suggest is a bug - the LT icon should not be green when there is no mobile data available. It should behave the same as the GPS icon/ button - green/ orange/ disabled.
I agree, but you did not open an help desk ticket

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

milan.cejnar

@lor74cas
Hello, I did not want to bother you with the help desk unnecessarily. It is just that I kind of missed the problem previously and did not try to reproduce thoroughly which was my personal mistake. I am sorry about that. The help desk just helps me to organize problems better and resolve them separately, especially because there was a lot of confusion and various errors concerning the LT web.
Anyway I tried to replicate again while locking the phone during the connection loss and could finally reproduce with my Samsung phone. The fix should be out with the new app version in a few days.

@Andrew Heard
Hi, I have checked the backend database and I can see the problem regarding your two positions. One position was recorded by the Locus Map Free and the other one by the Locus Map Pro. They are technically two separate clients due to some implementation details even when running on the same phone and with the same account. Leaving the group LM Free should hide your old position. Alternatively I could delete both last recorded positions on the server if it bothers you.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

Andrew Heard

Quote from: milan.cejnar on July 24, 2019, 16:33:04
technically two separate clients due to some implementation details even when running on the same phone and with the same account
@milan.cejnar - maybe technically but to me not logically

I removed myself from AJH group in Locus Map beta, but then it's also gone from Locus Map pro ;-(
they must share the same settings
so I added myself back into LM pro but the two positions are still on the map
one is dated 18/7/2019 (using LM beta)
one is today 25/7/2019 (using LM pro)
Can you please delete the position dated 18/7/2019 (or even both) and I will try not to use LM beta with live tracking in future.

What is the procedure for moving from one phone to another & retaining the same private group name?

BTW I wish the date wasn't displayed as 7/25/2019 although we've had this discussion before.

Thanks for any help.
  •  

milan.cejnar

@Andrew Heard
I have deleted both positions from the DB, they should disappear from the system within an hour.
Actually to remove your position, it should be possible to just remove the group from the active groups of the profile while the LT is running (no need to delete the group completely). I am not even 100 % sure and I am the developer, so it is not something the user should be expected to come up with :)
To be honest, this is an "unexpected" side-effect of enabling the possibility for group locations to be persistent - the positions always seemingly disappeared before as each group had a timeout. Even setting the group's timeout and then switching it back to unlimited will not help.

So simply put, there is no approach to do that when you share your position to the group with unlimited position timeout, which is not exactly user friendly. There indeed should be some method to do this. Unlimited time groups are not used that much (67 so far) so you are the first one to report this logical inconvenient consequence. Sorry about that. I will write it down as an improvement/bug to be solved.

As for the date, we will not be able to help even after the fix. The date should be formatted according to your system's locale and I would expect other webs or apps to be using this format too on your device. We cannot enforce e.g. European locale on other users worldwide which might be unusual for them. There would have to be a special settings in you profile to select the prefered date/time format.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: milan.cejnar on July 25, 2019, 15:50:34
I have deleted both positions from the DB, they should disappear from the system within an hour.
Actually to remove your position, it should be possible to just remove the group from the active groups of the profile while the LT is running (no need to delete the group completely).
@milan.cejnar - both positions are still visible at least 6+ hours after your post.

Quote from: milan.cejnar on July 25, 2019, 15:50:34
The date should be formatted according to your system's locale
no, this is the only website where I see this US-style date format. My Windows 10 region settings are as attached - d/MM/yyyy.
  •  

milan.cejnar

@Andrew Heard
Hello and thank you for letting me know. So I have just double checked and your data are no longer in the DB but are still available through our web API. That means one of our caching layers have failed to evict the data after the internal timeout for some unknown reason. The fix is not trivial and I will not be able to fix this right away (I will create bug report though). That means, that unlimited session time option is buggy right now, in a way that old unwanted data from old devices or LM versions get stuck and the system was not designed to be able to remove them in any simple manner.
I am very sorry about this, we wanted to add the feature but did not think through all implications when using for long time in a single stable group.
In the meantime you could create a new group or set the group session timeout to some of the available limited values. Of course we still confirm with the GDPR regulations and I could delete your LT data if you requested but that would mean deleting all your groups and your internal LT profile as well, which would make the data inaccessible,  but that is probably not very helpful right now.

As for the locale, I must admit that there is something wrong there then. Our locales work ok and we expected that the front-end framework will handle locales correctly out of the box. I will have to report this to the company doing the front-end for us. Thank you.

Andrew Heard

Quote from: milan.cejnar on July 26, 2019, 10:26:47
In the meantime you could create a new group or set the group session timeout to some of the available limited values
@milan.cejnar - I tried this but still the two positions remain ;-(

I ran Locus Free, I changed the group session timeout to a small value, ensured that a live tracking fix was displayed, then exited Locus Free. I then ran Locus Pro, ensured I had the group session set to never timeout , ensured that a live tracking fix was displayed, then exited Locus Pro. But I still find the two positions.

The unlimited time allows non-Locus friends to see my last position at their convenience, which may be days later. It is often just for their interest, and no accuracy or immediacy is important to them. But having a 2nd zombi position is going to be really confusing.

PS. I next removed the group AJH, then re-added the group. This worked! Only a few friends had the old URL/ access code.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: lor74cas on July 22, 2019, 22:08:50
Done: https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/live-tracking-unstable

If it was necessary to write on the help desk you could tell me on April 30th when I reported the problem.
To simulate the bug I can do nothing but activate or deactivate the phone's data connection, it would not be legal to cut down the telephone pylons and I can't even enter and exit the tunnels to simulate a disconnection, it's not my job, I have other things to do .
No news ?

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

milan.cejnar

@lor74cas
Hello, I wrote you an email through help desk 2 weeks ago (I hope it got through to you?). But it might be a good idea to share it here for others as well.
I tried once more after your report and finally hopefully found the cause of the problem. It should be fixed in the current version of LM Pro and the LT service should wake up correctly after connectivity state change.

Regarding unlimited session timeout usability problems we will probably limit upper bound to some more sensible limit like 1 or 2 weeks, at least until more mature group management is in place.

And by the way, web is still not fixed the way we would like to. We unfortunately have to find somebody else to fix it, since our current contractor is apparently not up for the task.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

Andrew Heard

Is this another bug, or a feature: I live in Australia, so how come my private live tracking position is shown in Paris - https://live-tracking.locusmap.app/online-trackers/?uid=IK2V-B6UG? Yes, I was looking at that location in Locus, but the GPS position was not set/ enabled.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: milan.cejnar on August 12, 2019, 08:48:48
@lor74cas
Hello, I wrote you an email through help desk 2 weeks ago (I hope it got through to you?). But it might be a good idea to share it here for others as well.
I tried once more after your report and finally hopefully found the cause of the problem. It should be fixed in the current version of LM Pro and the LT service should wake up correctly after connectivity state change.
I do not know if you are talking about this:
QuoteMilan Cejnar
Hello Lorenzo,

thank you, I checked it one more time and I finally found the bug which I missed last time.

Sorry for all the problems, it should be fixed in the next version.

Best regards

Milan

But as a new beta was released without the LT fix I asked you news.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

milan.cejnar

@lor74cas The fix should be there and it should work correctly now, does it not?

@Andrew Heard Is it possible that you have been running some kind of simulation or using some kind of "fake" GPS provider?
Also if the GPS was disabled, it is possible that Locus tried to use your position based on Network provider e.i. your IP address and/or WLANs in your surrounding. If you use some kind of VPN or network proxy it could theoretically mess with your network location.
If you communicated with the server, it got some kind of position from your phone anyway. We have never supported any kind of "spectator" mode on the Android client, which seems to be what you are missing and what you attempted to do.
  •