live-tracking.locusmap.app web page

Started by Tapio, March 19, 2019, 18:29:42

milan.cejnar

Hi,

@tapio
Yes, agreed. Regarding the mobile web interface the decision to show download button in this way was probably not exactly the best decision by our web designer.

@Andrew Heard
- mobile web AND PC web page?
Just the mobile version of the web I think. PC version seems fine, there is a lot of space at the top and we do want to have a download button in the menu because we want people to use the Locus Map client primarily and to obtain it easily, even though there is not any "spectator" mode in the LM at the moment, so technically the web page has a little different use case from the mobile client for now. But in the future the web will probably offer simply just a subset of Live Tracking features offered by the Locus Map itself.

- public group timeout
Maybe I could increase it to 15 minutes, but why more? There might be quite a lot of people in public
group and with relatively high fluctuation, so we prefer not to keep the positions in the public group that long which also helps to save the data traffic of other people following the public group.
As said, timeout in private groups can then be set to some predefined amounts of time or make it indefinite and people can share their position to both public and private group at the same time so I think that leaving the session timeout time shorter in public group is preferable.

- date format
Point taken, thank you. We will propose to the designer that we could use "DD MON YYYY hh:mm:ss" with moth name abbreviation.
  •  

Tapio

Livetracking web page should be attractive. In most cases, I guess, it is used between outdoor enthusiasts and friends and relatives (at home). The enthusiast buys LT as for closed group, the web page visitors have at least heard about Locus. I don't think they buy Locus just for watching other peoples LT.

Non mobile Web page: I'd prefer a layout with stuff to the left, because of aspect ratios like 16:9 or thinner.
As in
https://maps.openrouteservice.org
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: milan.cejnar on March 27, 2019, 11:29:59
- date format
Point taken, thank you. We will propose to the designer that we could use "DD MON YYYY hh:mm:ss" with moth name abbreviation.
If you use abbreviation you need to translate them in all languages, what about instead to use dd/mm/yyyy format and add the function of a explanation of the used format with a link on an ( Info link ) or a mouse hovering function over the date?
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: milan.cejnar on March 27, 2019, 11:29:59
Maybe I could increase it to 15 minutes, but why more?
@milan.cejnar - my use-case is friends & family tracking my progress. For a bunch of reasons;

• sometimes no wireless/ mobile reception,
  • sometimes stopped for sleeping etc.,
  • high battery consumption with LT (double consumption of only record tracking), I will be experimenting with flight mode most of the time;
  • Locus LT update interval is only max. 5 minutes.
To minimize battery consumption I intend to block LT most of time; just enable each 30 minutes say. That resolution of position is good enough for family & friends; they don't care what street I'm on, just which town/ region I'm recently visiting. Maybe checking once per day; not watching minute by minute. So, most of the time this 10 minute server side timeout means my position won't even be on the webpage, or otherwise I need to incur a large battery hit.

I'll investigate private groups further.

Copyright 2014 at the bottom of https://live-tracking.locusmap.app/manuals/ needs updating?

Link from Creating a new group > Live Tracking Premium @ https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:functions:live_tracking#creating_a_new_group leads to PC web browser page saying "Your connection is not private" + NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID + "You cannot visit link.locusmap.eu right now because the website uses HSTS"? I tried a few searches via https://docs.locusmap.eu Locus knowledge base but my web browser (Vivaldi) blocks access to the live tracking premium. When I attempt the same from Chrome > Live Tracking > Creating a new group > Live Tracking Premium, the browser gets redirected to https://www.locusmap.eu/.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 27, 2019, 23:05:51To minimize battery consumption I intend to block LT most of time; just enable each 30 minutes say. [...] or otherwise I need to incur a large battery hit.
So now your experience is this bad? I have not enough experience with it yet, but I was thinking, there's just some sort of sleep() loop which should not cost much and then a http connect, some data, boom... not much battery impact, I was thinking.
BTW, at least on my device, LTE/4G costs a lot of battery, I always turn it off when hiking.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: tapio on March 29, 2019, 07:44:50
Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 27, 2019, 23:05:51To minimize battery consumption I intend to block LT most of time; just enable each 30 minutes say. [...] or otherwise I need to incur a large battery hit.
So now your experience is this bad? I have not enough experience with it yet, but I was thinking, there's just some sort of sleep() loop which should not cost much and then a http connect, some data, boom... not much battery impact, I was thinking.
BTW, at least on my device, LTE/4G costs a lot of battery, I always turn it off when hiking.
I use LT and I do not notice so much battery consumption.
I usually downgrade the data connection from 4g to 3g or 2g to save the battery.
The problem is not the type of connection but phone always searching for the best speed so when you are not at top speed the phone searches for a better connection consuming battery charge. Here 4g doesn't have good coverage so I prefer a slower connection.
For LT 4g 3g 2g doesn't matter, it works because uses just few byte at every update.

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: tapio on March 29, 2019, 07:44:50
So now your experience is this bad?
@tapio - it's not a bad experience; it's impressive functionality; I'm just reporting my battery consumption. I've been using the app "No Root Firewall" and the mobile data traffic is surprisingly high with Locus sending my LT data & Google responding with other LT users each minute even though the update setting is 5 minutes. Yesterday over 5 hours I just disabled flight mode each hour for ~3 minutes, and the battery consumption returned to ~2%/hour. I did find the LT lost/ LT found notifications didn't work reliably. I'll report more later...
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: lor74cas on March 29, 2019, 08:04:17
For LT 4g 3g 2g doesn't matter, it works because uses just few byte at every update.
@lor74cas - how do you know it is just few bytes at every update? I have monitored the data using the excellent app GlassWire and it showed consistently over many hours ~294KB download/ 86KB upload per hour. This was LT data going up/ down each minute. For me (294+86)/60 = 6KB/minute. Yes, not a lot of data per minute but it appears to keep the phone working far more than simple offline track recording, and my experience is double the battery consumption which on multi day rides I cannot really afford.
  •  

Tapio

They hopefully have "as few data as possible in mind". @Andrew, well of course "bad experience" in terms of battery consumption, which a factor 2 is :D

I see you also have a friends/relatives usecase and I think it is a common one. I was thinking, Locus could become more state of the art as for emergency (or: phone lost)  warning/support. I had some lose ideas like:

- Send position to Live tracking Web server if user may be in need. E.g., after a user defined time of "no movement".
- User may get an audio warning, before position is sent and could turn the next send off with one tap
- Send position with SMS, also user defined timer
- A privacy mode which only sends in case of (assumed) emergency.

But well, should go to helpdesk.
  •  

Andrew Heard

+1

maybe all features for premium LT so these hard working Locus guys can make a few $'s; delicate balance ;)
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 29, 2019, 10:47:43
Quote from: lor74cas on March 29, 2019, 08:04:17
@lor74cas - how do you know it is just few bytes at every update? I have monitored the data using the excellent app GlassWire and it showed consistently over many hours ~294KB download/ 86KB upload per hour. This was LT data going up/ down each minute. For me (294+86)/60 = 6KB/minute. Yes, not a lot of data per minute but it appears to keep the phone working far more than simple offline track recording, and my experience is double the battery consumption which on multi day rides I cannot really afford.
Adjust the update frequency in the LT settings to a greater value of seconds so you have less update for hour and less battery consumption.
I use 300 sec for trail running so I have a 5 min update, for my case of use it's enough.
Walking 600 sec it's also a good value.

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

@lor74cas - I already have set the max 5 minute update. I have suggested/ questioned here & elsewhere why this limit is so low. For my described use-case I would prefer 1 hour update. Even with this 5 minute update as you can read from my previous posts, Locus is exchanging LT mobile data every minute. BTW there is a bug - if you set more than 5 minutes, then tap Back, the setting is not saved and there is no warning/ error.
  •  

lor74cas

LT not working properly:
in the last few times I used LT during my runs, after a while the LT position disappeared and no longer reappeared on LT web or LocusPro.
The last time occurred last Sunday during a race so I investigate, you can follow this steps to reproduce the issue:

• Activate Public LT on LocusPro(no track recording)
  • Wait to see you are detected on LT web site or on another phone with locuspro
  • Disable the data from the LT transmitting device
  • You'll notice that after sometime the position on LT web obviously  disappears, but on the trasmitting LT device I have only green feedback and no red ones of wrong trasmission
  • Now turn on data on the transmitting device, wait ... wait ... wait, but I never have back my position detected on LT web site
This simulates something frequently occurs when the signal is lost, or when, in the border areas, a roaming operator is switched, but when the device hangs up the network, LT should work again.

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

milan.cejnar

@lor74cas
Hello,
thank you for the report, this is indeed not wanted behaviour, your position should reappear as soon as you enable the data again and send the position update. I will try it out.
By the way the time limit in the public group before disappearing should be around 10 minutes. For private groups this time limit can be changed by the group owner.
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: milan.cejnar on April 30, 2019, 14:54:48
@lor74cas
Hello,
thank you for the report, this is indeed not wanted behaviour, your position should reappear as soon as you enable the data again and send the position update. I will try it out.
By the way the time limit in the public group before disappearing should be around 10 minutes. For private groups this time limit can be changed by the group owner.
My update freq is set to 300 so after two missed transmission it's normal I disappear from LT, what's wrong is that the transmitting device does not report any wrong transmission and when the signal came back, LT does not restart showing the position on the map
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •