Author Topic: [APP] - version 3.21.x (21. 12. 2016+)  (Read 54695 times)

Offline john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: MotoG
Re: [APP] - version 3.21.x (21. 12. 2016+)
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2017, 16:05:20 »
"Share with" Locus Maps from apps such as Google maps or GPSies seems just to share the title of a point or track with the search dialogue in Locus rather than pass on the actual point or track, which would be much more useful. I've not done an exhaustive trial but these two apps are indicative.

Offline lor74cas

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung A5 2017
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2017, 17:56:00 »

@balloni55: no problem :)

@Žajdlík Josef : thanks both issues fixed. I've removed "Dynamic elevations" from possible options, but remained in list. I've also prepared probably final version of "Presets", for now.

System used in Garmin is nice, but is not technically and practically possible to use complete! save/restore of all settings in Locus Map. Some of you use this already over backup manager, but it always needs a restart, so not the best solution.

So for now, let's start with list of options, that cannot be modified.
Content: fullscreen, shift map center, map resolution, map autozoom, auto-recalculate, map centering, map rotation, vector themes and dashboard.

When there will be need for another settings, we may discuss if list has still usable size or if we need introduce "advanced edit mode", that allows edit content of presets.

But you can use the Garmin method only for the settings you put in your preset.
You can write this settings in a different colour in the menu we are used to find them, then you save their state in a preset, change them and save for another preset, in this way it's easy also to store basic profile and you have not to replicate all settings for each profile and every setting is always at its place.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.asamm.com
  • Device: SGS7
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2017, 18:17:24 »
I was thinking about it, but for me it looks like really complicated to say, what activation of preset will do. You will have to remember, which settings are included into preset based on some "color difference" in big settings screen? Hmm quite complicated.

I may simplify current system even little more to be closer (but not exact) to this.

Current system:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
3. set it's icon & name and tap save
4. you are in list of preferences. Preferences are even now set based on current value in app and you may modify them
5. back button returns to list of "Presets"

We may simplify it little bit to:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
4. you are back in list of "Presets" with new preset added to start

5. (optional) advanced users may modify it's values by "edit" button in context menu

So for basic users, this will look like Garmin style and option to modify it's content without need to create new preset will remain. Should it be better?
Ideas, wishes, problems
Advanced topics, public discussion, sharing of knowledges, testing beta versions: you're here!

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2017, 18:19:35 »
"Share with" Locus Maps from apps such as Google maps or GPSies seems just to share the title of a point or track with the search dialogue in Locus rather than pass on the actual point or track, which would be much more useful. I've not done an exhaustive trial but these two apps are indicative.

This highly depends on how application is sharing it's data. I remember that Google Maps share really just an address. Locus tries to detect coordinates in shared text and if there is none, "Address search" is used.
What you see in "address search" in Locus? Are there also coordinates? Because you wrote "share the title", I think it will be this problem .. unfortunately.
Ideas, wishes, problems
Advanced topics, public discussion, sharing of knowledges, testing beta versions: you're here!

Offline john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2017, 18:42:28 »
Unfortunately that explains it. Google gives (as text) the title and a map short URL. I think just the title is used in the Locus address search.

Offline Žajdlík Josef

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Xperia M, Alcatel One Touch II, Samsung A3 (2017)
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2017, 19:19:59 »
Some of you use this already over backup manager, but it always needs a restart, so not the best solution.

So far I have used this method too - aware of all the disadvantages that brings - and I am convinced that with the new presets will no longer be necessary. Still, if you should somehow modernize, then I would suggest the possibility of launching Locus clicking on a shortcut created from a "backup". This would not need to restart Locus, but immediately would run from backup presets. But I'm convinced that "the way is not the way."

CZ: Doposud jsem tento způsob taky používal - vědom si všech nevýhod, které přináší - a jsem přesvědčen, že s novými presety už nebude třeba. Přesto, pokud by se měl nějak modernizovat, pak bych doporučil možnost spuštění Locusu klepnutím na nějakého zástupce vytvořeného ze "zálohy". Tím by nebylo potřeba restartovat Locus, ale rovnou by se spustil s předvolbami ze zálohy. Ale stejně jsem přesvědčený, že "tudy cesta nevede".

Offline lor74cas

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung A5 2017
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2017, 20:50:36 »
I was thinking about it, but for me it looks like really complicated to say, what activation of preset will do. You will have to remember, which settings are included into preset based on some "color difference" in big settings screen? Hmm quite complicated.

I may simplify current system even little more to be closer (but not exact) to this.

Current system:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
4. you are in list of preferences. Preferences are even now set based on current value in app and you may modify them
5. back button returns to list of "Presets"

1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new

5. (optional) advanced users may modify it's values by "edit" button in context menu

So for basic users, this will look like Garmin style and option to modify it's content without need to create new preset will remain. Should it be better?

The second one the better, your method is what I badly tried to explain but what you create, with the list of settings, is better preset editing.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 23:01:44 by lor74cas »

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy A5 Oreo/8, Lenovo Note 4 Nougat/7.1
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2017, 23:48:57 »
not technically and practically possible to use complete! save/restore of all settings
@menion - I thought it could save you considerable development time not having to maintain these complex settings forms, and the UX is much easier for a typical user to understand & use - the Garmin user manual section on "Profiles" is so short, but in fact a complete description of function. You could save/restore exactly the same set of settings that are in the current beta, certainly not expecting all settings, that would be crazy. Am happy with any solution you decide, because the feature will save me much time switching settings.

1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new

your suggestion looks very similar to (my interpretation of) Garmin style...and if you eliminate (optional) step 5 you save yourself a heap of maintenance of this complex form(s). Two options (compared to Garmin): A) if user now modifies any global setting, then active Preset is no longer active B) if user now modifies any global setting, then relevant setting change is saved into the active Preset (and remains active). I like option B, but user could also just delete active preset and tap + to save new settings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 23:59:51 by Andrew Heard »

Offline john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:12 »
Andrew's Option A sounds more logical and workable. With Option B I can see myself losing preset without meaning to.

Offline zossebart

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Sony Z1 Compact
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2017, 21:48:07 »
Hi,

I just played around a little bit with 3.21.1.17.
How are we supposed to disable a setting in a preset in this version? For example, I don't want to change the map theme when applying a preset. In the previous versions, this was possible by not including the theme setting into the preset. How to do it in the current implementation? The edit screen of a preset doesn't seem to offer a possibility to remove a setting, only to change it. The same with dashboards, the only options are to disable the dashboard and enable a specific one, but no "don't change current dashboard status"...
I also discovered that "display always on" and "display activation" settings are not changeable by presets (anymore)? I thought this was possible in the earlier BETAs?

And another question: why did you remove "selection of activity" in the recording profiles?

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2017, 08:24:41 »
Hello zossebart,
what you see in latest version is solution based on discussion here, that should make this function as simple as possible. So it really is not possible to define if settings will be applied or now.

If I remember correctly (and I confirm this by checking a code), "display always on" and "display activation" were never in presets.

Selection of activity: how often did you changed this settings? I personally never. When you create a new profile for track recording, you choose activity. It should not be needed to change it later or is there any serious reason I miss? Thanks
Ideas, wishes, problems

Offline Žajdlík Josef

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Xperia M, Alcatel One Touch II, Samsung A3 (2017)
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2017, 15:46:09 »
Today, for the first time in practice with version 3.21.1.17. Everything works smoothly, presets are now clearer and more consistent behavior.
But this much I asked for a refund elections hiding panels to presets. For small phones, this option proved very practical. It's very addictive whenever necessary to hide everything and have the whole map for display only. So that those elections were not many, it would possibly hiding all panels put under one item.

CZ: Dnes poprvé v praxi s verzí 3.21.1.17. Vše funguje bez problémů, presety jsou nyní srozumitelnější a chování logičtější.
Moc bych ale poprosil o vrácení volby skrývání panelů do presetů. Pro malé telefony se tato volba ukázala velmi praktická. Je to velmi návykové kdykoliv v případě potřeby vše skrýt a mít celý display jen pro mapu. Aby těch voleb nebylo mnoho, šlo by případně skrývání všech panelů dát pod jednu položku.

Offline zossebart

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Sony Z1 Compact
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2017, 17:30:20 »
Hello zossebart,
what you see in latest version is solution based on discussion here, that should make this function as simple as possible. So it really is not possible to define if settings will be applied or now.
Yes, I'm aware of the efforts to simplify preset creation. I hope by "or now" you mean "for now" and this will be possible in a later version?

If I remember correctly (and I confirm this by checking a code), "display always on" and "display activation" were never in presets.
Ok, sorry, I thought so. So maybe you can add this settings (possibly later)?

Selection of activity: how often did you changed this settings? I personally never. When you create a new profile for track recording, you choose activity. It should not be needed to change it later or is there any serious reason I miss? Thanks
No, you are right, I thought setting the activity for a recording profile isn't possible at all in the new version, but setting it when creating the profile should be ok...

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:08 »
For example, I don't want to change the map theme when applying a preset. In the previous versions
@zossebart - with the simplified Garmin model that I proposed, you would just have same map theme for each of the presets. Agree not as good for power user, but simple & easy to use for ordinary user (hopefully).

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2017, 04:43:02 »
But this much I asked for a refund elections hiding panels to presets. For small phones, this option proved very practical. It's very addictive whenever necessary to hide everything and have the whole map for display only. So that those elections were not many, it would possibly hiding all panels put under one item.
@menion - fully agree with @Žajdlík Josef - most disappointed to see that hiding panels has been removed as a preset setting - I had a cycling profile with hiding right/ bottom panel (to maximize map visibility of course), and mapping profile with visible right/ bottom panel (for more onscreen functionality). Now it takes 9 extra taps to toggle these panels - menu > settings > maps > panels > bottom+right > back > back > back.

I like the black question mark icon to list settings in the preset.

Good to see in 3.21.1.17 (big jump of version) that Hold Map Center button state is restored even when no valid position. Thanks.