Automatic Display activation

Started by jusc, August 13, 2013, 19:32:50

jusc

Quote from: Max on April 20, 2014, 12:08:21
I want to use Locus for the same purpose as Christian: Downloading mountainbike gpx tracks and following them. I bought Locus because I was told Locus was able to turn on the display when there is a significant change in direction of the track. However... either there are no notifications at all, or it is beeping all the time.

@menion,
most of cyclists want to get an information (with a beep that can be switched off) but that draws attention to the display that switched on if you leave the track and if there are significant changes in direction of the track.
Wasn´t it already implemented with Willys navigation orders? I have in mind, that it should be possible to get navigation instructions depending of the degrees the way differs from "straight"

Regards J.
  •  

Menion

maybe I finally got it.

Simply say - you need to turn on Navigation on track, but this navigation won't say any texts, but will only notify by beep or vibrate, right?

Son imagine you use new system of "Navigation generator", but instead of "Voice orders", you get only notifications. Rest remain same, like turn on screen etc. It's what you both talk about? Maybe I finally understand :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ppiter

Hi Christian,

yes, this feature already exists. Feature is desciped in 'Brouter and Locus' from Tommi on a question from me. It works fine on all tracks generated by yourself, by Brouter or for downloaded tracks.

You need aTTS engine to generate voice navigation. As result you get navigation hints like 'turn right in 50m'. I have had no hints in mobile phone until I updates Google Text to speech. But now feature works fine. Perfekt for riding MTB in unknown terrain.
  •  

jusc

The question is, does Locus switch on the display at all "route" changes, like "turn right" too, if the display was off before?
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

in this case, so i you use 'Navigation generator', then yes. It should turn on display on all places, where is generated any navigation command.
  •  

Christian

Quote from: menion on May 02, 2014, 15:10:54
maybe I finally got it.

Simply say - you need to turn on Navigation on track, but this navigation won't say any texts, but will only notify by beep or vibrate, right?

Son imagine you use new system of "Navigation generator", but instead of "Voice orders", you get only notifications. Rest remain same, like turn on screen etc. It's what you both talk about? Maybe I finally understand :)

Yes, you got it! :)
Can you make it work? (without the overkill of the navigation generator?

@ppiter: please read my posts more carefully otherwise the mess is completed...  :'(

Have a nice weekend,
Christian
  •  

Menion

navigation generator will be required in all cases. Only possibility I see in some settings, that say if navigation notification should be done with Text-to-speech (voice commands) or by simple notification ...
  •  

Christian

i played around with the navigation gen and noticed that the fallback of the navigation is a kind of guiding very similar to my request. see attachement.

It seems the functions exists but it can be more useful ;D
I don't need the icons and the track should have the color and line style of the folder where the track is called from.
The commands - simultanously with waked up display - can be beeps. Different beeps for left, right and straight  or configurable sound would be very nice.
The arrow line to the next trackpoint (not in screenshot) should be kept 'cause its very helpful.
Filter like in navigation (hight, medium, low) shoud be kept also.
The battery consumtion should be similar to pure guiding.

Lets call this "guiding with navigational points".
dreaming,
Christian

•  

Joachim Buhl

Hello All

Nice to see that more and more mountainbiker find their way to Locus.

I agree with Christian, that the the "Navigation generator" is overkill and in my opinion totally useless, sorry.
Generating turn instructions by the angle of the track will never be precise enough.

I also agree with Christian, that there should be the opportunity to choose between TTS turn instructions and simple beep for the next turn (different beeps for different directions is not needed in my opinion, but anyway).

This leads me to the following scenario:
If I want to follow a track with the mountainbike I choose openandromap with MTB theme in Locus.
Than I add an new route within Locus following the loaded GPX track. This is 20min additional work, but I get a clean track on the paths and I get turn instructions only when I need them.
Afterwards I'm starting navigation on this route. Automatic display off is working, the screen wakes up before turns, you get notification when you are off the track and with a feature of beeping you could choose between TTS and beeping.
Right now you have also the opportunity to delete turn instructions single by single, for example for a piece of the tour which you really know well and where you do not need any instructions.

I think for the "perfect" navigation for mountainbiking three things are missing right now:
Short term:
1. Beep notification instead of TTS
2. Adding manual turn instructions, because sometimes Mapquest missed some. This could be done by introducing text to speech feature to points where I can note "turn right..." in a specific field.
Long term:
3. Automatic rerouting of a GPX file so I do not have to reroute it with Mapquest manually.

Thanks

•  

Christian

Quote from: Joachim Buhl on May 04, 2014, 11:56:35
Nice to see that more and more mountainbiker find their way to Locus.
Joachim, you are right. The bikers - and hikers also - should establish a strong lobby here in forum because the Geocachers becoming more and more. And Locus changes more to a geocache tool i'm not interested in.  :o

Than I add an new route within Locus following the loaded GPX track. This is 20min additional work, but I get a clean track on the paths and I get turn instructions only when I need them.
I don't understand how do you prepare for your trip... Can you please explain this more detailed?

Afterwards I'm starting navigation on this route. Automatic display off is working, the screen wakes up before turns, you get notification when you are off the track and with a feature of beeping you could choose between TTS and beeping.
Right now you have also the opportunity to delete turn instructions single by single, for example for a piece of the tour which you really know well and where you do not need any instructions.

I think for the "perfect" navigation for mountainbiking three things are missing right now:
Short term:
1. Beep notification instead of TTS
2. Adding manual turn instructions, because sometimes Mapquest missed some. This could be done by introducing text to speech feature to points where I can note "turn right..." in a specific field.
Long term:
3. Automatic rerouting of a GPX file so I do not have to reroute it with Mapquest manually.

Thanks

This is a lot of work to prepare a trip... Sometimes i'm in the middle of nowhere and have to change my trip due to weather or time issues. So i load a track from within the track manager and let Locus guiding me to the next target. So 20min preparation of something and edit nav points manually is a little bit... over engineering..

But your items 1 and 3 are absolutely right.
Different beeps for left and right are very useful. If you are pedaling in a road biking group / peloton, everbody can listen to the sound coming out of th leader's garmin device and knows to turn left or right in 100 meters. Its a matter of speed and safety.

Any further suggestions? Should we open a new thread for avanced guiding / giuding with navigational points?
Christian
  •  

szebenyib

Quote from: Christian on May 06, 2014, 12:24:56
Different beeps for left and right are very useful.
Christian

Another biker checking in :-)
That sounds like a great idea!

Ui: I'm also a hiker, geocacher, so these things are not against each other but rather complementary ;-)
  •  

Christian

After that heavy brainstorming and collection of ideas should i do a feature request for a "navigation generator light" with all the simple guiding features described above?
What do you think folks?
Enjoy the Schafskälte ;)
Christian
  •  

Max

I have the perfect solution: I bought another mount for my additional 5200 mAh Battery and this way I can keep the display on all of the time :D

@menion:
I agree with Joachim that the Navigation feature is not really applicable for mountainbike purpose because it does not recognize turns in the right way.

However, I think that a small change to the Guiding feature could make it useful for mountainbikers who want to follow a track. There are are websites like the german gpsies.com. They let you create/modify gpx files and you can add "turning notifications" at certain points. So if the guiding feature could recognize those "turning notifications" and just wake the display up/beep on those points and not on all waypoints, this would probably satisfy most mountainbikers.
To implement such a feature, the track format will somehow have to support different type of waypoints or some additional data, to distinguish regular waypoints and turning points. I have no clue, if gpx supports that kind of information.

This way, you would have to modify the downloaded gpx tracks before following them. But I guess an automatic navigation based on the angle between waypoints will never get satisfactory results for the kind of tracks you follow by mountainbike.

@Joachim:
This leads me to the following scenario:
If I want to follow a track with the mountainbike I choose openandromap with MTB theme in Locus.

I am also interested in what you mean by that. Probably a similar thing that I described... modifying a gpx track by adding manual turn notifications.. just in locus and not on a third party website. But its just a fictional scenario, so you cannot do that by now, right?
  •  

jusc

Quote from: Christian on June 22, 2014, 17:56:44
After that heavy brainstorming and collection of ideas should i do a feature request for a "navigation generator light" with all the simple guiding features described above?
What do you think folks?

Nice idea, I would support it.
Regards J.
  •  

szebenyib

+1, put it on the help site :-)
  •