Automatic Display activation

Started by jusc, August 13, 2013, 19:32:50

Menion

hmm, yes I want .. bad idea you say? Fine, I'll keep this in my mind ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

I understand it would be good to see the actual position as well (or as an alternative to the magnetic behaviour).

@Joachim: if you record a track in parallel to navigation you can see the actual position as the current end point of the track (provided recording strings for an accurate track).
  •  

Joachim Buhl

Hello Tommi

Lets discuss it further in this thread to keep this one clean.
http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3372.new;topicseen#new

Thanks
  •  

Christian

Quote from: menion on October 23, 2013, 17:21:42
ok, thanks so ...

1) your track is some recorded track, so it contains quite a lot of points. In this case isn't best using "notification on next point".
2) there is currently no way how to enable exact voice instructions on this track, because locus do not support OFFLINE routing.
3) anyway you may try to use new feature available in testing version "Navigation generator". Here is discussion about this topic http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3372.0
4) if you want to use public version, you may try to enable "notification on next point" and enable TTS support. This feature will be removed in time, "Navigation generator" will be published in public version anyway it's usable now

->1) lot of WP are usual for all of my (downloaded) tracks. turning off  "notification on next point" means no notification at all .-)

->2) beeping instead of TTS would be enough (btw: different sounds for "right" or "left" would be great in one of the upcoming versions)

->3) nice that you working on this and other related problems. I will be a faithful user but not a beta tester. Sorry - there is no time left.

->4) i will try this setting again and read the other thread carefully

Thanx for your effort,
Christian
  •  

Max

Sorry for posting in this old thread. Is there anything new concerning this topic?

I want to use Locus for the same purpose as Christian: Downloading mountainbike gpx tracks and following them. I bought Locus because I was told Locus was able to turn on the display when there is a significant change in direction of the track. However... either there are no notifications at all, or it is beeping all the time.

What I had in mind was that maybe the Guiding algorithm could evaluate the angle between the the lines connection the previous and current track point and the current and the upcoming point. And when the angle between those lines is significantly smaller than 180 degrees, this is considered a turn and the user could be notified. But I am absolutely no expert on this...

So another question: I used the website gpsies.com to edit tracks. There is an option to add "turning notifications" to the track. Is there a way to let Locus use those notifications? I tried exporting the track with added turning notifications as GPX route file. But it did not seemed that Locus did not use those notifcations. Is there maybe a way to let Locus use them. This would be a workaround for me and probably for a lot of other mountainbikers who want to follow tracks.
  •  

Christian

Max is faster in posting than me.
I have been wanting to describe the same problem again because its still alive. Using the guiding feature in most of the cases the display remains dark when a junction is ahead. Only the notification "away from track" works, often better then needed (depends on GPS signal strength).
So i don't remember very well but have in mind that guiding should be improved by menion. Am i wrong?
Another problem is that guiding consumes a lot of power. My Galaxy Note needs ~60% more power when guiding than without guiding. Without notification i have to activate the display manually and have to scroll around to have a look where to go. Needs even more power.
That means guiding become useless :(
Any hints for this?
Enjoy the holidays and let the rabbit run :)
Christian

*posting in this "old" forum via Tapatalk is very nice compared to the new one 8)

edit
There are some news regarding guiding feature?
  •  

Menion

@max: You wrote about need to compute possible angles and notify about them. It's already possible. Just tap on track on map and at bottom panel choose "Navigate". You should see screen called "Navigation generator", that allows you to generate navigation for whole track. So Locus will work as an "real" voice navigator.

@christian: no news here. To be true, I'm little bit lost in this topic. I tried to read it one, but same :)

So what is wrong and what is expected?

Just two notes

- turn on screen during guiding should work for notification "Too far from track", but also for a notify on next point. It won't work for you?

- power consumption - you wrote 60% more, but more compare to what? To situation without guiding? If Locus do not need GPS, for example for guiding, then GPS is turned off when you hide locus or turn off the screen. Because 'Guiding' needs GPS, it will consume quite a lot more power.

•  

Christian

Hi menion,
Notification works only for "away from track" and "next point".  Display wake up before next turn / junction does'nt work :(
So i have to turn on display manually each time when guiding.  Guiding consumes a lot of power (last 5h) compared to use Locus with GPS always on and automatic display dimming (last 12h).
I dont need navigation generator. Cannot hear the voice while on bike and display is always on :(
The guiding feature is a really nice function if it works... Is the most used feature in Locus by me. Please make it work!
Thanx,
Christian
  •  

Menion

Quote from: Christian on May 01, 2014, 22:49:51
Notification works only for "away from track" and "next point".  Display wake up before next turn / junction does'nt work :(

Sorry, I still do not understand. "Next turn / junction" during guiding? There is no such feature now.
  •  

Christian

Is there a misunderstanding (of the software)?
I expect that Locus wake up the display automatically when a turn or a junction or a major changing in direction is ahead - even without any waypoint.
Am i wrong?
  •  

jusc

Quote from: Christian on May 02, 2014, 11:37:49
I expect that Locus wake up the display automatically when a turn or a junction or a major changing in direction is ahead - even without any waypoint.

+1
You are right. ;D  That´s the best way between saving battery and being informed on the route while cycling or hiking.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

yes you are wrong. Locus has no idea about roads, junctions etc. that are on your way. It's same as if you remove map and see only track on white background. Active track contains everything Locus knows. No more.

So if you enable "Navigation", then Locus should turn on screen on every navigation order (junction/...) that is in navigation itinenary. If you use "Guiding", then Locus should turn on screen when you leave track (if you have enabled notification on leaving a track) or on notification on next point (if you have enabled this notification).

If my answer is not precise, feel free to specify question better. I'll gladly answer.
  •  

Christian

Ooops, thats the first time in my life that i  wrong in my expectations ;)
Your answer is very clear and straight. Thanx for that.
My expectations were forced by Joachim in this post http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3377.msg23577.msg#23577

He described that an algorithm computes angles between trackpoints and generates  notifications.

Ok, this feature does not exist yet.
So i will do a feature request in the new forum in this way:
Please @menion, make a "navigation light" feature with display dimmed but automatically wake up, no computed voice notifications (not only deactivated), and notifications when junction, turn or major changes in directions are ahead!

Any further suggestions?

Btw: why are navigation and guiding features are separated?
It seems guiding is a (simple) part of navigation.

Christian

Edit: thanx @jusc for supporting the idea.
  •  

Menion

No, it exists :)

Imagine you have own recorded track, or track imported from GPX, right? So simple track that has no idea where are any crosses, junctions etc. Display this track on map, tap on any of it's point and on new bottom panel tap on "Navigation", not "Guiding"! You should now see new small screen with title "Generate navigation" and after you confirm it, Locus generates navigation order for a whole track!
  •  

Christian

I know the navigation feature. But its a over engineering for wake up the display...
I don't need any navigational orders.
  •