Geocaching - Field Notes

Started by wvb, August 12, 2011, 14:40:24

wvb

Hi menion,

I am really enjoying Locus Pro and eventually like to use it as only program for Geocaching but am currently missing some things.

You said in the other topic that you cut off the new lines in the field notes as you like to keep it short.
I on the other hand like to do everything in the app and the upload to GC.com. This way I also have a "backup" and my whole listing in my pocket for when I have no internet.
The Geocaching app I am currently using allows newlines in the field notes and uploads them to GC.com..

Some wishes regarding field notes:
- allow full field notes to be written and formatted (newlines) in Locus
- have an option in Geocaching tools menu (or similar) to get a list of all field notes
- clicking on a field note gives the option to go to the cache (waypoints)
- allow upload of field notes to GC.com from Locus (through api?)
  don't know if this should be done in Locus or if it's possible through G4L add-on...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Menion

hmm, I have nothing against improving field notes system. So let's go on it ...

- firstly, I'll ask you for some sample field notes. Please create for me one file with two multi-line field notes. I have to look how this should look-like because I disable multi-lines because of some problems with end line sigh

- menu into geocaching tools - possible. It will be second step

- upload to gc.com ... it will be, as all online communication, done in addon, We discuss about it with Arcao (author of G4L, and best should be to keep all things like this in addon)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

wvb

this is great news! :)

I will send you the file by e-mail later today or tomorrow morning..
  •  

Menion

ok, so all except uploading to gc.com is done (as I told, this will be part of G4L later). Anyway thanks to some changes, this will need some test before publishing. Because I handle directly with gcFieldNotes.txt file, it mainly have to be tested if locus now edit and delete correct field notes. I'll probably publish today testing version here on forum. Release will be probably tomorrow
  •  

wvb

wow! this is nice :)
I am out of the country for work tomorrow so can't test then.
I have some time today and in the weekend so will surely check it out when there is a new testing version :)

Thanks for adding this stuff!

•  

wvb

Just got a chance to quickly test it..
It is great to be able to access them in a list :)
2 remarks:
- the prefill field in settings doesn't allow new lines
- there seem to be many steps involved getting to the actual cache from the Field Notes list
Don't really understand why the Search step is needed as tyere should only be one cache per Field Note

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised :)
Thanks!

•  

Menion

thanks for testing ;)

1) prefill ... Ok, I'll check it ..
2) that's not correct. 1. You can import as many same geocaches as you want, so this search find them all, 2. Field notes are not stored in database but only in file, so they're "connected" to all cache by GC code, 3. you can delete geocache from database but field note can still be accessible, so searching is also needed because there is chance you don't have required cache in database anymore.

anyway I think, that searching for geocache from  field note, is not much needed and when you'll need it, few clicks more isn't such a problem ;)
  •  

wvb

1) thanks!
2) thanks for the clarification
for the times used the extra clicks are indeed no issue :)

•  

wvb

I just checked sope more and Locus seems to add a double quote " every time I edit and save a field note..

•  

Menion

OK, thanks, problem probably found ...
  •  

stebu

The new field note list looks something like:

:) Found it
some notes
 :) Found it
other notes
 :( Didn't find it
some naughty words

A more informative list (IMHO) within the same space would be:
 :) GC321KK 2011-09-01 11:30
some notes
 :) GC321LL 2011-09-02 12:45
other notes
 :( GC3322P 2011-09-03 23:44
some naughty words
  •  

Menion

good idea .. done
  •  

wvb

Hi menion,

I like the new Field Notes features :)
I am using it to store all my Field Notes now.

Would it be possible to add an option to export selected Field Notes to a seperate file?
Now it's all in one big file which makes it less easy to upload my last Field Note to the GC website..

•  

Menion

glad you like it. Why this is anyway hard to upload? You just upload whole file and then delete all field notes in Locus. Thanks to this, you'll have all field notes on web. So for what should be useful to export only part of them?
  •  

Khaytsus

Not sure this is the best place to ask, but is it possible to save Field Notes into the waypoint notes?  I'd love to have that data stored with the waypoint/geocache forever.  :)  Right now I can see it until I delete the field notes file, which I of course do after I upload it.
  •