[APP] - version 4.26.+ ( 9/2024 )

Started by Menion, September 23, 2024, 15:48:41

Andrew Heard

@tapio - it's a ticking timebomb. I had a similar experience with a PC program 10 years ago - tried to migrate to a new PC but the activation was tied to a phone # that no longer existed. Completely destroyed my investment.
LM4.26.2 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on October 12, 2024, 22:12:59@tapio - it's a ticking timebomb. I had a similar experience with a PC program 10 years ago - tried to migrate to a new PC but the activation was tied to a phone # that no longer existed. Completely destroyed my investment.
Related, in gaming: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/eci

It's just that some devs don't have end of their product support in mind (they're human beings, they can even die, no shit Sherlock), or don't care, or whatever. That's not right.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Andrew Heard

LM4.26.2 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Graf Geo

Small error in the track statistics panel in the German language setting:

For average speed (in movement) the word "Bewegung" (movement) is displayed twice. See screenshot:
SG S10, Android 12, LM 4 Gold (last Release version or Beta)
  •  

joeloc

I know you can set Languages for vector maps. That doesn't help a lot though, since nobody in Greece gives a sh... about adding latin names.

It would be great if Locus had a
"Always force latin letters"
option somewhere. When a name only has greek or cyrillic writing, you would simply render a 1:1 replacement with latin letters instead. That would be a great help in Greece and other funky non-latin countries.

•  

Menion

@Tapio
problem with exiting search > not happen to me. Hopefully, it has already been fixed :)

Is Locus Map working without our servers? Hmm, probably no, sorry. Verification is necessary at least once. Then, years without the internet should not be a problem. Even if app knows that Premium expired, it still keeps premium functionality enabled till internet access will be available again. Anyway, what happens with the app functionality when our team ends completely? Sorry, I have no idea as I still do not expect it happens soon.

@Andrew Heard
1-stop-shop > it is probably not possible for 100%, but we would like to go as close to this goal as possible. The main problem is currently offline address search that uses a completely different system. Anyway, give us a little time and we will come with some solutions  :)

@joeloc
interesting idea, thanks. Not sure, how technically complex this is. @voldapet ?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

slarti76

Quote from: joeloc on October 16, 2024, 14:42:35It would be great if Locus had a
option somewhere. When a name only has greek or cyrillic writing, you would simply render a 1:1 replacement with latin letters instead. That would be a great help in Greece and other funky non-latin countries.
Sorry to say, but there is no such thing as a 1:1 replacement for different scripts. Not even within Latin - did you know that the English "sh" is written in German as "sch", in Polish as "sz", in Hungarian as simple "s" and in some other Slavic languages as "š"? Or that the pronunciation of Oslo would be best approximated in English as "Ooshloo"? Greek may be reasonably doable, as afaik only one major language uses that script. But Cyrillic already has the same problem as Latin scripts: Special variants that have different transliterations depending on the country or even dialect.
This is a topic that linguists spent years on - I don't think it's helpful if Locus on its own implements some simplified (or "half-a**ed") solution...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

slarti76

Question about the "Pre-load Global Map":
Is it possible to use that only for vector maps?

I'm using the bitmap world map from OpenAndroMaps because we all know that vector maps look sh** in low ZLs. However, Locus also uses it for other bitmap maps, which seems wrong to me: If a bitmap map provides those ZL, why replace them? Would be nice to at least make that optional...
  •  

michaelbechtold

This already works the way you wish - for ONLINE maps.
Good news: the mechanics already exists.
Bas news: it needs Menion's time - but not too much, I suppse :-)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: slarti76

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on Yesterday at 12:10:18This already works the way you wish - for ONLINE maps.
Good news: the mechanics already exists.
Bas news: it needs Menion's time - but not too much, I suppse :-)
Thx, yeah, I should've mentioned that - I know that the pre-load function only affects offline maps anyway.
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: slarti76 on Yesterday at 11:11:29
Quote from: joeloc on October 16, 2024, 14:42:35It would be great if Locus had a
Sorry to say, but there is no such thing as a 1:1 replacement for different scripts. Not even within Latin - did you know that the English "sh" is written in German as "sch", in Polish as "sz", in Hungarian as simple "s" and in some other Slavic languages as "š"? Or that the pronunciation of Oslo would be best approximated in English as "Ooshloo"? Greek may be reasonably doable, as afaik only one major language uses that script. But Cyrillic already has the same problem as Latin scripts: Special variants that have different transliterations depending on the country or even dialect.
This is a topic that linguists spent years on - I don't think it's helpful if Locus on its own implements some simplified (or "half-a**ed") solution...
Greek would be super easy and not "half-arsed"... almost everything translates exactly 1:1, letter by letter. It's quite pointless to expect the Greek OSM contributors to add "translations" for every single language with latin letters. I understand this is nothing with priority, just annoying. Also, a somewhat readable map is *always* better than gibberish, even if it fails on all your linguistics specialties. But since nobody but me travels in Greece with Locus anyway, never mind. I rest my case :-).

It reminds me a bit of buddy tracking and sharing functions. Apparently Locus users travel alone in general, so nothing ever gets fixed. And even in 2024, we call each other with "where are you now?" and "where are you going?" and "your point is not updating!". And we transfer points and tracks via WhatsApp plenty times every single day.

•