Jerky and non-smooth progress on the map when navigating

Started by DIDYM13, August 26, 2023, 09:56:23

DIDYM13

Hello everyone.
I bought Locus map Classic quite a while ago and I'm really having a hard time using it properly.
Let me explain: I use the application in offline mode.
My maps are stored in main memory.
So no latency for viewing.
When I launch a navigation with the map setting in the direction of driving, the progress is made by sudden and not in a fluid way, like on my other applications (osmand, magic earth, mappy cz).
So my question is; is this a normal operation with locus map classic? where did I miss something?
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Just one last clarification: I encounter this phenomenon on my two devices (Samsung tab active 3 and Doogee S86 pro).
  •  

Tapio

I think you mean the map centering while travelling. Yes, I think LM never emulated some fake, but smooth map movement. I guess not many people noticed this, because ideally we only sporadically check screen.
The frequency of map centering can be set in expert settings (to include them, longtap hamburger menu). Then in settings, search "map centering".
I'm referring to LM4 but should be the same in LMC.
Long story short: NORMAL.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: DIDYM13

Menion

Not sure what do you mean by "The frequency of map centering" @Tapio. Correct of course is, that the app does not make a fluent movement between received GPS locations. This is to save some power. Most of devices receive location once per second, so the map should also move/refresh once per second. Is this what you are talking about "non-smooth progress" @DIDYM13 ?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tapio

Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

Understand, but this defines the time after which the map screen center returns to the current GPS location (center map) after you move with the map to a different place. It does not affect the movement of the map when centered (so during navigation etc.).

My explanation is probably too complicated, sorry  :)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

freischneider

Maybe you turn off the GPS when the screen is off. When you turn it on, the map moves to the current location.
Start a recording parallel to the navigation. After that save. Look at the track then. does it have straight lines ?
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

DIDYM13

Quite Menion !!
When I'm in navigation mode, I feel like "the map is on a turntable" and some guy is kicking it with a quick spin on direction changes.
This is why I say that the movement is not fluid.
I use Locus map classic with my motorcycle and it's not easy to have jerky movements, whereas with osmand or magic earth the progress of the position cursor advances smoothly.
I reduced the "MAP MOVEMENT STEP" to 5.0px , but it doesn't change anything.
I specify that I have the Map hardware acceleration checked and the hold map center timeout set to 5s.
I also have the card which is set "in the direction of movement" .... which of course makes it turn and that I understand well .... but in fits and starts.
As for turning off the screen: I never turn off the screen!!!
I have a 3A power connection directly on the motorcycle and my devices have quite long battery life... So I don't need to save any energy and I use the screens at maximum brightness.
  •  

DIDYM13

This is exactly what you explain Menion in your answer:
Correct of course is, that the app does not make a fluent movement between received GPS locations. This is to save some power. Most of devices receive location once per second, so the map should also move/refresh once per second. Is this what you are talking about "non-smooth progress"

If the app works like this for all users, is there a way to have an option to increase or decrease the "refresh" value of the GPS signal?
Because there for me the use of Locus map is just not possible on a motorcycle .... unless you are driving at 20 km/h.

It would be a shame if I couldn't use Locus map correctly, because the work that has been done on this application is just huge!
And I love all the customization possibilities and the amount of possible settings.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: DIDYM13 on August 27, 2023, 17:32:00Quite Menion !!
When I'm in navigation mode, I feel like "the map is on a turntable" and some guy is kicking it with a quick spin on direction changes.
@Menion @DIDYM13 - is this a compass smoothing issue? I have config.cfg hardware_compass_filter=50 which is the maximum value and I recall a long time ago this worked well, but when walking these days, or stopped as a cyclist, the map rotates far less smoothly than I remember/ expect/ hope-for with filter=50.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: DIDYM13 on August 27, 2023, 17:44:54Wenn die App für alle Benutzer so funktioniert, gibt es dann eine Möglichkeit, den ,,Aktualisierungswert" des GPS-Signals zu erhöhen oder zu verringern?
Denn für mich ist die Nutzung der Locus-Karte auf einem Motorrad einfach nicht möglich ... es sei denn, man fährt mit 20 km/h.
I am against increasing this value. It is good enough for cycling and hiking. The battery has to last the whole day.
Morrad or car is not an application for Locus Map (in any case not since). If more people come here who use it for motorcycle and car, you should provide a special setting for it. This then also immediately in presets.
This setting would then optimize Locus Map for faster speeds. Furthermore, one would not have to pay so much attention to the battery consumption, since there is a power supply on the vehicle.
  •  

DIDYM13

It's a real shame to confine Locup map to hiking and cycling activities.
So much work done for all these years to use only 50% of the possibilities of this application !!!
Competing applications manage many activities very well and without draining the battery of the device used.
I can take examples: Magic Earth or Mapycz.
it would be so simple to put this setting in the experimental zone with a warning about higher battery consumption.
It would also be nice to ask the right question: why aren't more motorcycle and car users using Locus map?
The answer seems obvious to me.
  •  

Menion

There are no such settings that may increase GPS frequency. There exist external devices, like Garmin GLO and some other, that allows increasing frequency to 10x per second.

Anyway, if the problem you "feel" is really only a movement that is not fluent ... in other apps, they most probably do transition between two locations with map animation. It does not give any extra accuracy or more frequent location > it "only" polishes usability a little.

I was already thinking about it some time ago and decided, that battery is priority no 1.

---

Let's try a quite simple attempt ... next (Beta) version, Expert settings, a new option "Fluent movement". It changes a simple jump between coordinates, to a small 1/4 sec long animation. A one second-long animation does not make sense, because in the end of animation, the location will be almost one second old. So 1/4s is a good compromise and it looks quite good.

---

And usage ... 25% of users use Locus Map for cars & motorcycles. So it is not so simple. We try to focus on hike & bike > This means that when I have to decide something, I optimize the app for the hike & bike rather than for the cars, but ...  :)

freischneider

Why don't you make a video so that we can see how good or bad it is with them at the moment?
  •  

DIDYM13

It's not even necessary to make a short video to compare with other applications so well Menion explained the phenomenon and the solution.
It is indeed a search for visual comfort that seems interesting.
Just something that slightly brakes the abrupt rotation of the map .... for example when passing a roundabout in a straight line.
The map begins to spin abruptly giving a headache.
Just a small clarification on the other apps I use: they are in 2.5D for Osmand and for the others all in 3D.
This tends to visually attenuate this phenomenon of sudden rotation.
I just did a navigation test in demo mode with Magic Earth with the view set to 2D and the result is that changes in direction are still smoother than in Locus map.
So I think Menion has captured what I've been talking about.

Currently I use the Locus Map classic version.
In order to be able to take advantage of all the new functions, I have just subscribed to the Locus Map 4 silver version. ;D
  •  

Steffen_MK

In Version 4.19.0 I have tested the feature "Fluent Movement" in the "Expert settings" while riding my motor bike. The movement of the map looks very, very good! No more annoying stuttering to be seen!

However, the map screen cursor moves with the map and jumps back to the original position every second. This looks funny, but it is a bit annoying. It would be nicer if the map screen cursor stayed in its place.

For information my settings:
- Map aligned in direction of travel
- Position arrow shifted to 1/4 of the map
Locus Map 4, User-ID: 07e0fc852e
  •