Important links
- blog post
- list of news of public versions
- Beta versions

Versions
30. 3. 2021 - Locus 4.0.0
8. 4. 2021 - Locus 4.0.1

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

slarti76

First of all: Great work, so happy it's finally out. Wish you good luck with the subscription model!

One weird thing I noticed:
I installed LM4 for the first time on a phone where I didn't use the betas. Trying to populate my "Floating menu", I can't find "Routing data updater". So I checked my other phone where that button is already in the Floating menu: It's still there, but the long-click list also doesn't contain it - so if I replace it, I wouldn't be able to get it back...
Additional: What is in the list, though, is the Floating Menu again, which makes no sense (down the rabbit hole ;) )
  •  

sbouju

Quote from: slarti76 on March 30, 2021, 09:25:04
First of all: Great work, so happy it's finally out. Wish you good luck with the subscription model!

Same fore me !  :)

And a first question...
Is there an easy way to navigate again to a recently used waypoint of its own library(ies)?
  •  

balloni55

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) THAAAAANKs 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

and it goes on ;)

#138 from pre-release thread > solved
#149 from pre-release thread > furthermore FC > log just send
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Bernard P.

Great job !

I have two questions, may be FAQ...

- Is it possible to have installed and use both Locus Pro and Locus 4, without conflict (and what about common files, tracks, ...) ?

- I'm a little bit confused between the three versions... Can you publish a table with all differences ? (three columns, free, silver and gold, and functionality yes/no) ?

Best regards
  •  

Menion

@slarti76
Thanks  :). We are really curious after a month or two, if this system will work ...

"Routing data updater" > it was moved under the routing menu. Choose "Internal LoRouter" in the settings navigation and tap on the side settings menu. The best is to set up more frequent automatic updates and forget on this ... it works quite well as 4 days or weekly updates are really small. I see currently only missing option and it's a method to remove un-needed segments. This later ...

@sbouju
Hmm, probably not. There is no list of recently used points ... an interesting idea ...

@balloni55
And the show must go on  :)

Thanks for the bug report. It happens only with caches right? I believe I've found a reason (and fixed it now)!

@Bernard P.
1. if you have main "Locus" folder in the root of internal memory, most content will be shared. No problem with this setup for now. Later this year, it will have to change, but more about it later ...

2. https://www.locusmap.app/premium/
  •  

lor74cas

Offline locus map, north Italy.
The names overlap creating confusion and are bigger than the places they represent

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

lor74cas

I found some differences between the locus map of northern Italy online and the one downloadable from the locus store. The offline map dates back to 2021.01.18, how often are updated?
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on March 30, 2021, 12:02:54
@slarti76
Thanks  :). We are really curious after a month or two, if this system will work ...

"Routing data updater" > it was moved under the routing menu. Choose "Internal LoRouter" in the settings navigation and tap on the side settings menu. The best is to set up more frequent automatic updates and forget on this ... it works quite well as 4 days or weekly updates are really small. I see currently only missing option and it's a method to remove un-needed segments. This later ...
Well, I only saw the new auto-update now, that's nice - but it's missing a "WiFi only" option. Or, if that's the case anyway, a note saying that. Even if it's small, when roaming it might be a problem.
Secondly, I don't see why cleaning up a long list by one option has any use. If a list has <10 items, then yeah. But this is a "all Locus can do on one tap" list, so why leave it out if someone likes it there? (not necessarily me)

@Bernard P.
1. if you have main "Locus" folder in the root of internal memory, most content will be shared. No problem with this setup for now. Later this year, it will have to change, but more about it later ...
I actually have to pour a little salt in here. While it's true that everything is shared - and I didn't experience any problems - some data that is shared would have better been separated. I know, should've mentioned that earlier, but I think presets and dashboards should've gotten their own directories ("presets4"/"dashboards4"?). I had to do new dashboards because the old ones didn't play along well with the new design. For presets, the main problem is the setup of the function panels - there also some stuff doesn't make sense anymore with the new layout and functions (e.g. I had to re-add "Lock Zoom" in my function panels, but don't need it in LM3).
Personally, I don't care, because I intend to drop LM3 completely. But I think it should be mentioned.
  •  

sbouju

@sbouju
Hmm, probably not. There is no list of recently used points ... an interesting idea ...

Not *my" idea !  Such a feature figure in many other navigation software I used (and probaly others), as those from Garmin, TomTom, etc...
  •  

Menion

@lor74cas
this is more a task on @voldapet , anyway please be aware that maps are not 100% identical and most probably, offline LoMaps will be always a little more detailed.

@slarti76
Downloader works only for "Unmetered" connections, so usually wi-fi (general connections where you have no limit).

The selection of individual items is there partially for historical reasons. Anyway as I wrote, it will needs improvements. I have something in my mind, but because it is not extra important now, it will have to wait a while ...

Shared content > not everything is shared! Anyway as I already mentioned few times, since September 2021, this will no longer works and data will have to be unique for both apps. Till then, I have to prepare system that will copy data from internal memory to app private folders ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion, did you try to convince Google that Locus falls under the category of file managers and alike (which get privileges to access file systems broadly).
And this is not a lie anyway!!
1) Many people use more than one geo app.
2) geo apps deal with huge amounts of data in general, be it maps, SRTM and other data
3) which typically should be shared rather than duplicated, enforced by a silly Google ideology
Worth trying I'd say!
Good luck and kind regards
Michael
  •  

Menion

Hi, I've not yet tried. I firstly need to spend huge amount of time studying little overcomplicated system how app work with file system since A11 and after that, I'll decide if something like this is needed.

Anyway, I expect it won't be necessary. The app will simply live in the own private directory in the internal memory/SD card. Some read-only data should be still accessible from external sources like vector maps or SRTM data now. The big risk is data loss ... automatic backups to the cloud + Premium Gold are savers. There also should not be a need for two app versions (Free/Pro) so life should be a little easier ...

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on March 30, 2021, 13:22:13
Downloader works only for "Unmetered" connections, so usually wi-fi (general connections where you have no limit).
Ok, fine with me, just better mention it in the dialog or people might not use it for fear of costs.

Quote from: Menion on March 30, 2021, 13:22:13The selection of individual items is there partially for historical reasons. Anyway as I wrote, it will needs improvements. I have something in my mind, but because it is not extra important now, it will have to wait a while ...
Sure, not that important, looking forward to what you have in mind ;)

Quote from: Menion on March 30, 2021, 13:22:13Shared content > not everything is shared! Anyway as I already mentioned few times, since September 2021, this will no longer works and data will have to be unique for both apps. Till then, I have to prepare system that will copy data from internal memory to app private folders ...
I know. Still, having to edit mark my dashboards with "LM4" manually to tell them apart is a bit of a workaround.
  •  

luce

@sbouju

Maybe this could be what you mean:
– long click on plus in the route planner
– top right "recently used"

Best, Lucas
  •