[Theme] OS Map

Started by karlchick, May 29, 2020, 17:45:48

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on January 18, 2024, 22:18:51having a super boring theme showing no points, names or features than other roads, would allow those searched points to be highly visible.
You probably know this is possible in Tapiola ("Basic features without POI" has this use case in mind). And I had a related suggestion, but IIRC Menion disagreed: Add Offline/Online Lopoi setting to presets. Because then you can easily a) turn on the theme (which displays no poi at all) + b) turn on lopoi.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

den def

I know this theme is focused on hiking, ... But would it be possible to add an option to dash and/or emphasise water elements like rivers, lakes,... With a more contrasting for ewample: dark Blue colour?
Or even dark blue arrows to point in direction of flow?
I prefer to use this with LoMaps
Thank you
Jef
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: den def on July 21, 2024, 08:57:05I know this theme is focused on hiking, ... But would it be possible to add an option to dash and/or emphasise water elements like rivers, lakes,... With a more contrasting for ewample: dark Blue colour?
Or even dark blue arrows to point in direction of flow?
I prefer to use this with LoMaps
Thank you
Jef

Hi Jef,

I'm guessing you're a river user, canoeing etc? I think it would ve a great idea to add support for river usages of the map.

As an experiment I reused the oneway symbol for roads on rivers/streams/canals from zoom level 15 to see what it would look like, see attached screenshots.

There is also support in the tags to indicate rapids, perhaps this would also be useful? Although they don't seem to render for some reason...

Karl

User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: den def

den def

Maybe have a survey or brainstorm for river users or other water related options.

-a selectable more contrasting outline or darker blue, like emphasising roads would be my priority
-direction of flow, like in your screenshots would also be nice

Optionally:
-possible enter and exit points for canoing, danger zones, rapids, shallow zones, waterfall, hydro powerstations, wind shelters like in Sweden Vindskydd (i have these as personal POI for hiking and canoeing), other
-estimate lines for high and low tides?

Maybe there are other requests from different water users, i believe this could be well appreciated extra selectable options.

Jef
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick

karlchick

Obviously we can only show what tags are supported by the maps...

..and I'd like to keep the style OS map oriented...

Thinking of adding a new category for river symbols with highlighting options etc... Will look at what tags are supported...
DiscussDownload
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: den def on July 21, 2024, 13:09:29Maybe have a survey or brainstorm for river users or other water related options.

-a selectable more contrasting outline or darker blue, like emphasising roads would be my priority
-direction of flow, like in your screenshots would also be nice

Optionally:
-possible enter and exit points for canoing, danger zones, rapids, shallow zones, waterfall, hydro powerstations, wind shelters like in Sweden Vindskydd (i have these as personal POI for hiking and canoeing), other
-estimate lines for high and low tides?

Maybe there are other requests from different water users, i believe this could be well appreciated extra selectable options.

Jef

Jef,

Can I ask what map(s) you are using for river activities? The OS Map theme is set up to support LoMap and OpenAndroMap maps, but neither of these have many tags supporting river based activities, e.g. canoe=put_in.

Perhaps they are all covered with whitewater=put_in|egree...
Karl.
DiscussDownload
  •  

den def

•  

karlchick

Quote from: den def on July 21, 2024, 20:33:43I am using Lomaps

Hmm, you might want to switch to OpenAndroMap maps as they support put-in and egress points. I added circles to highlight where these are: green = put in, red = egress (take out) and cyan = both.

As you can see, lomaps doesn't show these.

Will have to come up with some icons for these.

Wondering how to address your other request of higher contrast for Rivers... is it all waterways? I could add an emphasise outline to all waterways? Or (maybe) change the colour of water (but this might be difficult due to large amount if code involved...)
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: den def

den def

The main thing is more contrast, highlighting, all waterways.
Changing colour in basemap is not necessary, i think most people are ok with it, so a selectable option, if it is possible to have a rather solid (not very transparant) outline to waterways in order to make waterways stand out a little more.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick

karlchick

Hi Jef,

Mocked up highlighting waterways, attached. I propose to not highlight ditches, drains or streams, left to right is: all, streams only, none... 

Wondering if streams need highlighting?

Karl
DiscussDownload
  •  

karlchick

Here's the R.Leven example with emphasised waterways. Left is navigable waterways (Rivers, canals, docks, waters etc) and right included streams (or becks as they call them in the lake district).
DiscussDownload
  •  

karlchick

Trying out some new icons for rapids, put in, egress and water points...

I think having an option to highlight these icons is useful, as they can be hard to notice otherwise...

Top is normal, bottom is with emphasised rivers and highlighted icons.

Any feedback welcome.
DiscussDownload
  •  

Tapio

Since either/or is sadly not really possible in xml, I guess you just added additional lines and icons, correct?
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

karlchick

The icon highlights are indeed circles drawn under the icons, selecting green for putin as this is a go point for canoing, red for egress as this is a stop point for canoing and yellow for when both are set.

River highlights (as per suggestion) are similar to how the bicycle routes are highlighted using wider lines before drawing them.
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio