[APP] - version 3.42.+ ( 5. 12. 2019 )

Started by Menion, December 05, 2019, 13:54:23

Menion

Oki, I was thinking about it a little more ... the current system is used for years and it almost looks here, that I'm the only one who has a problem with it :).

So I've changed it and in the next app version, it will work as years before. Changes I try to make here will be included for testing in LM4 together with a few suggestions and improvements. Anyway, this may be discussed in topic related to this special version.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on January 05, 2020, 14:19:39
- move map two screens towards the top of the display (to the top)
- and now ... rotate by compass. What is the usage of this, just imagine it.
When you hold your device and turn by 90% (so the top of the display is pointing to the south), you see a map that is far away to the east and you can't say "this is what I will see when looking to the south".

So my main question: what is the use-case to rotate map that is not centered on your current location based on the compass?
@menion - thanks for taking the time to further explain. I agree with your explanation...but if the user wants to enable map rotation (around the center of the map screen) based on their compass, and the GPS is not enabled or they are not centered on your current location, is that their decision? They see the compass icon rotate, they see the map rotate, they see the Rotation button is blue. They tap (disable) the Rotation button, the compass is hidden, the map doesn't rotate. It is simple to explain & intuitive. There is no complication, no special rules, almost no need to document,  nothing to undo or warn about. When I sit inside or GPS is disabled but I am on a bus or train, I know the compass & map rotation will still be working. If the user pans the map, maybe rotation could be automatically disabled like you suggest, but still don't prevent the user from re-enabling - I think they are the best to judge if rotation makes sense to them.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Oki Andrew, but I still ask why this may be useful ... you try to keep this functionality, but how many times you find this useful, to just rotate a map with disabled GPS?

I may in the worst case, do this as expert settings, but still, need to know that at least a few users find this really useful. We have a company meeting on Tuesday so I'll for sure open this.

You never had a problem that you tried to look along the navigated route a few km forward and map still rotated under fingers? I have this issue almost always :)
  •  

Tapio

I rarely use map rotation and if I do, mostly for one use case:

If i am at a complicated junction, eg with many tracks and I am not sure which is the right track to go. Having the map in same rotation as the real world helps for understanding.

I very rarely turn it on while walking. In any case, rotation centered around me.

I have no 100% opinion on this, but turning gps on if user turns rotation on feels like too much. I'd expect it to rotate around map center, whatever the use case may be. I'd leave it as it is, but I admit I always see the "options are good" side of things. Does not go well with Menions goal to streamline the Locus Monster.  ;D
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Andrew Heard

I wasn't planning on writing more on this matter. I've already written too much & by evidence of only a few other comments, no one has a strong preference.

Quote from: menion on January 05, 2020, 23:08:45
Oki Andrew, but I still ask why this may be useful ... you try to keep this functionality, but how many times you find this useful, to just rotate a map with disabled GPS?
To save phone power I have GPS disabled by default, and only enable it when recording my track. And only then for noteworthy tracks. So, with all my route planning the GPS is generally disabled, which therefore means the compass is disabled when trying to orientate the map. Probably an atypical user.

My main point: it just seems counterintuitive to me, to intentionally prevent the user from enabling compass/ rotation behavior.

Quote from: menion on January 05, 2020, 23:08:45
You never had a problem that you tried to look along the navigated route a few km forward and map still rotated under fingers? I have this issue almost always :)
No. I would simply tap to disable rotation. My suggestion is to auto-disable rotation when map is panned by the user, but not to prevent tap to enable.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

•  

Žajdlík Josef

Personally, I like the rotation lock when moving the map. For tourism, this is practical. I often mind when I searched for a path on the map that the map is constantly rotating. Cycling is no longer practical, couldn't this feature be user-selectable?
  •  

poutnikl

I like the Andrew's suggestion to have rotation disabled when map is user panned, but with option to tap-overrule it.

As I understand GPS OFF approach, because on long expeditions the battery energy can be an issue,as wall or solar charging is not always applicable.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 9, via Tapatalk

freischneider

For me there is no point in turning on when the card is moved. When I move the card I always turn turning off. If this happens automatically, it is a great advantage.
But I can understand Andrew if he has GPS off. But it is a special case. Maybe expert setting!
I think Menion wants to change that because of Locus Map 4. It is already there and he can do everything with one button.
Suggestion Locus Map 4: Standard (turning turns off when moving) and for experts you can make a button in the bar. If this is activated in the expert settings you can turn on and off only with this button and the automatic is switched off. This button only appears if it has been activated in Expert Setting. Other users don't see them.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Menion

Thanks for the feedback. In the end, because there is little harder to find a compromise, functionality will remain in Locus Map Pro the same as before. Alpha version is an ideal place for experiments :).
  •