POI Import - can't see files in browser

Started by mx5tim, May 31, 2011, 01:15:01

mx5tim

Hi :)

Newbie user so this is highly likely to be me missing a setting somewhere! I'm running a Galaxy Tab, Andriod 2.2 and Locus Pro.

Locus is just what I'm looking for and it works superbly so far. Just trying to import my Google Earth kmz files but when I get to browsing for the file on the sd card the browser just shows directorires, not files. I've checked in My Files and the file is clearly there. I've even copied it to a directory but upon opening the browser again there are no files.

Any ideas what I may be inadvertently be doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!
tim
  •  

Menion

hi,
  simply answer. Kmz files aren't directly supported (looks I'll have to add support for this also). Anyway you can rename kmz file to *.zip. Extract file and you get KML file which you can normally import to Locus. Try it and let me know. Should work anyway ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mx5tim

Hi Menion,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've tried this but the file still remains invisible... I may well be doing something wrong though so I'll list what I've done ;)

File zipped on my Tab using AndroZip and then saved in the same temporary directory.
File unzipped from that directory and saved in the same place.
Locus opened and import tried but the file still can't be found.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong so if you have a moment could you please do a step by step guide and then I'm sure I'll get it!!
Many thanks.
tim
  •  

Menion

file will be visible if it will be any of supported formats, so "GPX", "KML", "ZIP" and "LOC" (not sure if LOC works fine, probably not). If you do not have some of these files on card, it will be still "invisible". If you can, attach your file here and I'll look at it ...
  •  

fencepost

If you add KMZ support to this app, I believe it will make this the best android mapping app on the planet!  It's pretty close right now, but that would put it over the top.   :D
  •  

Menion

oki, added :). Will be in next version ...
  •  

fencepost

Very nice! Thanks!  Can't wait to test it out.
  •  

mx5tim

Thanks for the info. I could see the zip file through the Locus browser and it allowed me to choose it and import. It then came up with '0 POIs added' so I assumed it was because it was a zip file.
I'll sort out a smaller version of the file as it's about 700kb and a bit big to upload just for testing!
Obviously kmz support would be superb  :D
  •  

Menion

it's already on market version so you can try! But expect that I import only data from KMZ, not informations about ... you know ... look from here on this points under this angle, etc...

If you'll have some troubles with importing of any file, best should be when you send me this file on email
  •  

mx5tim

At last I've found some time to check this out and it works!! KMZ files imported straight away and once switched on, they appear :)

Next question now though is they are not appearing in the same places as on Google Earth!
I've got the ArcGIS Satellite map on and at the maximum zoom available they are about 12mm to the left / west. I've checked the coordinates and they are slightly different due to the number of places available in GE but not enough (I hope) to make them this out. North / south they appear to be right.

Quick update:
The imported POI marker has coordinates at N 50 55'54.950'' E 01 45'26.091''
When I put the crosshairs on the actual location it should be at it's reading N 50 55'55.234'' (so close it doesn't matter) E 01 45' 28.860 (this is the where the error is).

Any thoughts anyone please?
  •  

rijackson741

I looked at one POI I imported from KML (sorry, since this one worked, I'm too lazy to look at others  :) ). Locus and GE agree exactly, to the third decimal place in the minutes. I believe KMZ is just a zipped KML, so this is not consistent with what you see. Can you post the KMZ file?
  •  

mx5tim

Hi ri,

Thanks for trying that, here's the file I imported. For some reason it didn't let me upload the file with extension .kmz so I've renamed it .zip

Would there be enough of a difference between kmz and kml to cause this?
  •  

rijackson741

Well, I only looked at one of them: "Hospital Bunker". I renamed the file to kmz, and also unzipped it to get a kml file. I imported both in Locus and looked at both in GE. I get 50 degrees, 58.499 minutes and 01 degrees 54.077 minutes in all four cases. If I overlay the POIs on a Google satellite map in Locus they appear in exactly the same place as they do in GE. So everything appears to work perfectly.

What map are you using?

BTW, if anyone is looking for a set of POIs for WWII fortification around Calais, this is a nice set  :)
  •  

rijackson741

I also just looked at "Observation Post" (the one you looked at). I get 50 degrees 55.916 minute, and 01 degrees 45.435 minutes in all 4 cases. Again, a prefect match. And it's not a format conversion problem. In degrees, minutes, seconds I get I get N 50 55'54.950'' E 01 45'26.091' in Locus and in GE.

When you say "When I put the crosshairs on the actual location it should be at", what do you mean? If you look at the information for the POI what does it say? If this doesn't appear to match the map, which map are you using?
  •  

mx5tim

Hi ri,

I'm using the ArcGIS Satellite map at the max zoom level. This is very strange!

The crosshairs thing was moving the little red crosshairs in Locus to the point on the map image that the Google Earth POI pin is exactly at.
I wonder what the problem is but will run some more tests as it was very late when I did the initial import. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help so far.
  •