POI Import - can't see files in browser

Started by mx5tim, May 31, 2011, 01:15:01

rijackson741

The problem is the ArcGIS Satellite map. It is miscalibrated. This is not true everywhere, because it is correct where I live, but it is wrong at this location. It is in fact miscalibrated even when compared to the arcGIS street map. This is not a Locus problem. I checked the maps in MOBAC, and Google Satellite, Google Maps, OSM, and ArcGIS street map all agree. ArcGIS Satellite is shifted. I suggest you switch to Google Satellite. Do you know how to do this?

This makes me think of a suggestion for Menion. We can already enter an altitude adjustment. Would it be possible to also enter latitude and longitude adjustments? Further, I would like very much to be able to store these sets of adjustments and recall them later. In addition to the offset problem of the arcGIS satellite maps in this location, I have also noticed in MOBAC that the Cloudmade rendering of the OSM maps has an offset. This is a pity, because I really like that rendering, but the offset makes the maps rather useless once brought into Locus. Then of course there is China, which has been discussed before. Different cities have different (and large!) offsets. If we could store sets of adjustments it would not be an ideal solution to these problems, but it would be a solution. I could figure out the offsets for Beijing, Shanghai, Cloudmade maps in the UK, etc, and store them. Then when using certain maps at the given locations I could recall them so the map matches the GPS.
  •  

mx5tim

Aha!! :o
We;; I did start to wonder especially as you mentioned GE maps. This is a great shame as the main reason for using this was for exploring and being able to 'see' the aerial view offline. You ask if I know how to use Google Satellite, can these be used offline then? If so, please explain as this would be much better!!

You're request to Menion sound very useful too and I'd like to see that but of course if it's OK in your area it's going to be interesting to work out what areas need what shifts. However, I'd be happy to do the checking as I need certain areas of France and Germany at the moment and can reasonably easily check them out. I'll do that for my Germany areas anyway to let you know. Maybe we can find a pattern?!

Many thanks for your help again, it really makes a massive difference when new to these things to have such a helpful community!
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "mx5tim"Aha!! :o
We;; I did start to wonder especially as you mentioned GE maps. This is a great shame as the main reason for using this was for exploring and being able to 'see' the aerial view offline. You ask if I know how to use Google Satellite, can these be used offline then? If so, please explain as this would be much better!!

For Locus, install and run this app:
//https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mjk.locusmaptweak&feature=search_result
You will then have a lot more online maps available.

A better way of building offline maps is to install MOBAC. See this thread:
//http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4&p=3145&hilit=MOBAC#p4
Read down the thread! Note that you need version 1.9 beta 1. Versions later than this do not have all the maps available, due to licensing issues. Offline satellite maps require horrendous amounts of space because they don't compress well, but MOBAC can help with this. You can select a large area (say the entire north of France, the Channel, and Dover), and only a few wide zoom levels, and "Add selection" Then select a smaller area, say the region that includes all the fortifications, select some higher zoom levels, and "Add selection". Then select a region that includes one fortification area, and select the highest zoom levels, and "Add selection". Repeat that step for each fortification area. This will give you a map that has the highest zoom levels where you need them, but still allows you to have a complete overview that puts everything in the perspective of the entire English Channel. And it will be a reasonable size  :)

Note that if you install the app above or use this version of MOBAC you are likely to violate the licensing rules of map providers such as Google. If you choose to do that, it's your responsibility. I think Google may have recently put a choke on the map downloading too. If you download a lot and it grinds to an almost complete stop, cancel the map building. Make sure MOBAC has the tile store enabled, wait a while (i.e. maybe until the next day!) and build the map again. It will use the cached tiles, and then add some more. Then it may grind to a standstill again, so repeat as necessary. I recently went through this to build a map of Boston. It took a long time, but I got there in the end  :)

Quote from: "mx5tim"You're request to Menion sound very useful too and I'd like to see that but of course if it's OK in your area it's going to be interesting to work out what areas need what shifts. However, I'd be happy to do the checking as I need certain areas of France and Germany at the moment and can reasonably easily check them out. I'll do that for my Germany areas anyway to let you know. Maybe we can find a pattern?!

I don't think there is a pattern. I am sure the arcGIS problem is just a mistake. I have no idea why the Cloudmade renderings of the OSM maps have a small offset. In China it is a deliberate policy of the Chinese government, and the offsets vary all over the country. Only the government and certain Chinese mapping companies have the offset information. If you want to see this, look at Google maps and switch between the Satellite images (which are correct) and the maps (which are not).

Quote from: "mx5tim"Many thanks for your help again, it really makes a massive difference when new to these things to have such a helpful community!
I am a great believer in forums and communities for products. As you say, they can make a massive difference to the usability of the product.  I contribute to and/or rely on several :)
  •  

mx5tim

Hi ri,

Sorry, work keeps getting in the way of testing and replying!

What an excellent answer, many thanks! I can confirm that I've now loaded the tweak app and tested google and others and the pois are spot on.
I've tested downloading for offline mapping and that works too so I think we're there now!
I'll have a play with MOBAC just to see if there are any advantages, etc., violations noted  ;)
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "mx5tim"I'll have a play with MOBAC just to see if there are any advantages, etc.)

Well, you are working on a much bigger screen. You can also create maps with different zoom levels from different mapping sources. Most importantly for me, you can create maps with different coverage at different zoom levels, which means you can have a map which is useful both as an overview and as a detailed map in selected areas, and is still a reasonable size (as an example, I have a map of the whole of China, with selected cites included at full zoom).
  •  

Menion

same can be done in locus. Check "Set type" button on screen where you define zooms to download ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Ahh! I've been caught!  :oops:   Now I am forced to admit that I am so used to using MOBAC that I had never actually downloaded a map in Locus  :D

Now I have tried it, and I see what you mean. I still think it's easier in MOBAC though, because I can add all the zoom selections and then build the map, rather than iteratively adding to an existing map.

But, thanks very much for pointing it out, because one thing I do not think is possible in MOBAC is to add to an existing map (at least, not in the version I use). Now I know how I can do this in Locus, and I know for sure I will use it. For example, if I know I am going to go to a particular city in China I can add it to my existing map. I have one question though. When I add to an existing map it gives me a warning that the map must be of the same type. Does this mean I can't add, for example, some zoom levels created from OSM maps to an existing map that was created from Google maps? If not, what does it mean?
  •  

Menion

is there really ... "map must be"? I think there is only a suggestuin, and it mean as you wrote. You can combine more map types into one package. It's just on you. This warning is mainly for unexperienced users ..
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"is there really ... "map must be"? I think there is only a suggestuin, and it mean as you wrote.

Strange. I wanted to get the exact message, so I just tried it again. I can't get the message though, not even a suggestion. I tried several times. I really did see a message though. I don't have enough imagination to make something like that up  :)
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"is there really ... "map must be"?

I knew I wasn't going completely mad! A couple of neurons just misfired, that's all. Somehow I got it fixed in my head that the warning was a pop-up message, and that's why I missed it when I looked again. If you go to "Change Type" one of the options is "External Map (SQL type)", and it says "WARNING: Ensure the database you are downloading data to contains the same map type!!".

No worries though. I'll just ignore the warning  :D
  •  

rijackson741

A thought: does "same type" perhaps mean "same type as SQL"? If it does, then "Ensure the database you are downloading data to contains the SQL map type!" would be clearer.
  •