Update of map core (2019)

Started by Menion, February 16, 2019, 13:05:25

Menion

V3 maps always use custom V3 renderer no matter which theme is selected. Change this should be really really complicated, so I would like to stick with this system.

So what I need to know to make (almost) all happy:
- V3 maps always use custom V3 renderer: which themes offer?
- V4 maps always use official latest (currently 0.11.0 version of MF) renderer: which themes offer?

Thanks for patience with me :).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tobias

As I wrote above backward compatibilty of the render engine is great, so you can throw any theme or map version at 0.11 (except locus extended), old V1 themes will also be scaled according to dpi etc.

But there's no "forward" compatibilty, so it makes no sense using a render engine 0.3 (locus ext.) with maps higher than V3 and themes higher than V1 (whatever happened to V2 and V3?).

So only the proposal above (using a renderer according to theme version, when V3 maps are used) would work properly.
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Andrew Heard

3.37.2.6: map shading fixed; truncation of LHS of theme settings fixed
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

zossebart

tested 3.37.2.6 ...crash in theme chooser with vector overlay map still present, see my screenshot here:
https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6471.msg54842#msg54842

Therefore, my question again: is it intended that you get to chose the theme you want to change (base or overlay map) if a vector map is overlayed with a vector map?
In current pro, you can only change the theme of the base map and no crash happens.
  •  

flyingman_ch

Locus (alpha) shows a GPS track, although I did not activate track tracking.

Is this new?  Is it possible to deactivate it?
  •  

zossebart

I dicovered that 3.37.2.6 seems not be able to display WMS maps!? Maybe it's just the map I tried, but current pro displays it just fine (although with very tiny text). Is this to be expected in the Alpha or is it a bug?
  •  

Menion

Sorry for a delay, quite a lot of other work over week.

So back to the problem with themes. I do not have the best solution. Rewriting the whole system and do it "theme-centric" (renderer selected based on the version of the theme) instead of "map-centric" (renderer selected based on the version of the map) is quite a big change. And because everything slowly moves to use new engine & new themes, it looks to me like a waste of time.

SO new setup of system:
V3 maps: offer V3 (basic + locus-extended) themes
V4+ maps: offer V4+ themes

I belive this won't be a big problem. Users that use LoMaps, usually use internal themes or themes with "locus-extended" system. Users who wants to use OpenAndroMaps, usually use themes for these maps.

@zossebart
hmm two same theme selectors in one view do not make too sense, agree. The crash is weird anyway in the next version will be only one button to select the theme, so hopefully, it will help.

WMS maps: any map for test?
EDIT: wms sample not needed, I see one big problem, thanks!

@flyingman_ch
only a side effect of horizontal GPS filter you have enabled in settings > GPS. This thin line only displays real GPS coordinates received by Locus Map and may be used for comparing with tracks recorded with Track recording. I'll leave it there for a while for testing and remove it later. But do not worry about it, it has no effect on anything.

john_percy

Quote from: menion on April 19, 2019, 08:19:59
SO new setup of system:
V3 maps: offer V3 (basic + locus-extended) themes
V4+ maps: offer V4+ themes
Isn't that exactly what we have on the current (Pro) release?
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Yes, should be. Because I see no other clear suggestion here. Except the suggestion from Tobias here

Quote from: Tobias on April 12, 2019, 21:15:50
So only the proposal above (using a renderer according to theme version, when V3 maps are used) would work properly.

which is too complicated to create (as I wrote before).
Themes optimized for V3 maps does not work correctly in new system when tiles are scaled in new MapsForge renderer and oposite.
  •  

john_percy

There appears to be a 3d perspective view in the new alpha. I don't know how I turned it on, nor how to turn it off.

•  

Menion

in test, but not well working.

Simply swipe with two fingers up and down.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on April 19, 2019, 15:15:53
Yes, should be. Because I see no other clear suggestion here. Except the suggestion from Tobias here

Quote from: Tobias on April 12, 2019, 21:15:50

which is too complicated to create (as I wrote before).
Themes optimized for V3 maps does not work correctly in new system when tiles are scaled in new MapsForge renderer and oposite.
I'm fine with that, at least there's finally full V4-theme compatibility that is correctly rendered (with V4-maps), this is way more important than full backwards compatibility, which would be just the icing on the cake.
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Menion

I see it the same.
It may be a little confusing for some users. In the worst case, I add some info message directly into the app. Anyway, standard MF4 system is supported and mainly united across all apps that use this new version of the library, which is perfect for all of you, who create themes etc.

And the new version for tests in the second topic.
  •  

john_percy

Now:
- Only offers v3 themes if LoMaps or MF v3 map is chosen - OK
- Offers v4 themes PLUS "ghost" themes if MF v4 map is chosen - as posted before at https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6471.msg54862#msg54862.
I'm referring to the external themes with the ghosted map icon. They appear to be duplicates in some way.
  •  

Menion

Hmm Locus Map now displays all! xml files found in "_themes" directory. Are you sure you do not have two XML files with the same name?

Because I see the similar list to you and as I see, I have two "Elevate" and two "Elements" themes in app.

•