Update of map core (2019)

Started by Menion, February 16, 2019, 13:05:25

john_percy

@menion. Understood now. However I think that means that the minimum zoom at which items appear in my themes will need changing for v4 maps. If you are looking at a remote area with few items to display it makes no difference. In a densely populated area it makes a lot of difference.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on April 07, 2019, 15:00:18
- shading is not working? Please, double check it's settings because I see no problem here.
@menion - double checked - see 2 maps - alpha & pro, both Hike & Bike theme, both same LoMap, both Hill Shading, scale as identical as I can make them. I note other subtle differences between the maps - is that to be expected? For example horizontal & vertical dashes green lines near "Wellington Park" only displayed with Pro.

Quote from: menion on April 07, 2019, 15:00:18
- interesting with the side panel, I'll check it thanks
Of course this at present means I cannot change the theme checkboxes. I saw another "alpha" test user with truncated side panel too; can't remember his name.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

zossebart

I also gave the alpha a try...

Automatic Map switching works for v4-Maps now - nice! However, the map which was switched to is neither displayed in top bar maps display, nor in maps manager. There's always displayed the originally selected map.

Another thing: if I configure a vector map as an overly of another (or the same) vector map, the theme switcher shows a selection of which map's theme to change (nice!), but Locus crashes if I tap either of them.

Overall, great progress! I definitely think it's the right way to go, especially with the dpi-independend maps display!
  •  

john_percy

When I go to the store I get a red toast "Unknown problem 43" and the Store opens normally. If I then try to download a map I get the same red toast and the download aborts.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

@jonny.blue
where I may download "Outdoor HD" theme to test the mentioned problem with LoMaps?

Problem with "staging server": login to normal geocaching server works correctly to you? What about at top of "Geocaching tools" screen, do you see there you avatar with a name and "right arrow" icon that allows to logout? Weird problem, indeed.

@john_percy
right, in case you will want to use your theme optimized for V3 maps, in new V4 maps system, then you may see a difference in how soon certain items appear. To be true, I'm not 100% sure how this affect real usage so best to give it a try and you will see yourself.

Problem 43: will be solved in next version, thanks.

@Andrew Heard
thank for "double check". I'll have to play with it little bit, because for me it works correctly. Anyway one more user confirmed same issue, so there have to be something ...

@zossebart
right, autoloading works this way. First selected map is something like "base map" and all other "autoloaded maps"  are just added into some kind of inner container. So you will still see first selected map. Which, as I though about it, is correct ... highlighted and also restored after restart, is still the map you selected.

Two vector maps at once as overlay: do not expect too much from it. If both maps will be V3 or V4, they use same single instance of map theme so cannot choose different themes for them. Anyway I do not get any crash so I'll need a log here, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

And one separate answer for @michaelbechtold

World map was limited to "zoom 8". I've moved this hardcoded limit up to "zoom 10" inclusive.

Zoom level indicator at top panel improved so in case, currently draw map will be this selected "world map" it will correctly reflect this.

Switching between LoMaps and OAM (or other V4 maps) was mentioned earlier in this topic and it's correct behavior.

Raster maps too big: all of them or just your world maps? Because here I agree, but it looks like you optimized your world maps to the good old Locus rendering system,  right? As you may see on the screenshot from my Pixel2 device, online maps are quite useless on this device in Pro version and little blurred, but usable in alpha version. Same should happen with your world maps.

If you see them tooo big, maybe you have enabled rescale in settings > maps > Advanced features > Increase map resolution?

•  

LocusUser#1

@Hillshading

I use only mapfsforge maps, at V4 I also have problems with the hillshading.

1.) Only a hillshading will be displayed if checked in the settings "Online maps", only "LoMaps & other Vector maps" will not work.

2.) When the hillshading is turned on, there are always sections without hillshading.

There is no problem with V3 maps
  •  

Menion

Ah amazing, this is the key. Only settings that have an effect is "online maps". Other were used incorrectly. Perfect, thanks, fixed!!

And some spaced and incorrect shading: I know about, but I see similar problems from time to time also in public version. Have to invest some more time into this.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion,
I just compared same offline SQLITE map (which is a world map, but regardless ...) between Pro and alpha version: same map, world map and overlay disabled, the SQLITE map being the chosen one, no vector map in play..
In Pro you need a 350% map resolution to show the same scope as the alpha version with 100% for same ZL.
Any idea ?
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Tobias on April 07, 2019, 08:44:41

Quote from: lor74cas on April 07, 2019, 07:57:15
Quote from: Tobias on April 06, 2019, 19:32:00
Are you using an OpenAndroMap V4?
http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/v4/
Italy.map
And
Slovenja.map
Those maps don't contain contour lines. Only OpenAndroMaps contain all the data Elevate needs to work properly.
Thanks now with v4 from OAM I see contour lines.

For me shadows are ok

At wide scale 30km locus crashed

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

michaelbechtold

Getting late ...
The difference is the dpi effect.
But then there needs to be resolution control down to mayve 25% ...
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on April 09, 2019, 13:28:14
thank for "double check". I'll have to play with it little bit, because for me it works correctly. Anyway one more user confirmed same issue, so there have to be something ...
@menion - happy to provide a log or further details if I can help you track it down; it's not possible to alter theme settings at present
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

@michaelbechtold
350% is possible if you have some really XXXDPI device. Is this a problem? On devices I tested it, text sizes on vector maps and on raster maps are very similar now. This is thanks to the fact, that all raster maps now scale based on DPI, vector maps do this automatically since begin. And this is the point.
Forget on a while on world maps you created and try some basic online maps and you should see the same picture as I posted before. The useless online map in the Pro version and correctly scaled map in this alpha version.

@Andrew Heard
@LocusUser#1 already found reason here, so consider shading fixed.

And my today topic ... problematic spaces in shading, so let's go on it ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

I got that, Menion (maybe a bit late :-) - see my 2nd post.
Still, as a consequence there should be map scaling not from 100% up, but starting with 25% e.g. User have different tastes - and eyes ...
The world maps I can adapt. I have to check other apps behaviour, too. Worst case make two versions.
No big deal.
  •  

Menion

Oki fine.
When I started work on this, I was at first thinking about an option, where you should set custom scale modifier for every single map separately. But in the end, it does not make to much sense. Ideal solution from my point of view is to unite scale of all! maps to the single same level ... so all maps should look same (we talk mainly about the width of lines and size of texts of course).

Then, everyone may use good old settings in app, to change the scale of all maps globally in case, he has worst eyes or any other reason.
So I generally hope, this system will work, which should really simplify settings in app (no need to specify scale per map) and also highly improve usage of raster maps, that were quite useless these days on high DPI devices.
Hope my explanation is clear :).
  •