Update of map core (2019)

Started by Menion, February 16, 2019, 13:05:25

lor74cas

Quote from: john_percy on April 06, 2019, 20:00:35
It may be resolution-related. For me, items including contour lines only appear in MF V4 maps at (apparently) higher zoom levels than expected. I think that this is supposed to be to do with making the display resolution-independent but I don't understand it or like it.
Also, I get each map appearing twice in Smart Choice Maps.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
In my case Italy appears one time but Slovenia twice

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: lor74cas on April 07, 2019, 07:57:15
Quote from: Tobias on April 06, 2019, 19:32:00
Are you using an OpenAndroMap V4?
http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/v4/
Italy.map
And
Slovenja.map
Those maps don't contain contour lines. Only OpenAndroMaps contain all the data Elevate needs to work properly.
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion, as you might expect, I had a look at the world map feature. Here are some findings - I suppose (and understand) the topic could not have priority so far:
- The raster maps (ZL 1 to 10 in selected map) are only used up to ZL 8, which gives a terrible performance for ZL 9 and 10.
- The ZL indicator at the top stays at "9", regardless of any zooming out.
- The raster maps are displayed too big, in absolute terms, and in relation to the higher ZL vector maps.
- Switching between LoMpas and OAM (V4, Elevate), the ZL indicator shows a difference of 2.
My 2c findings so far.
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

john_percy

The reason maps are showing twice is that locus is recognising folders by two aliases. See screenshot. The location sdcard is the same as storage/emulated/0 in my system.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jonny.blue

When I switch my theme to OutdoorHD  with LoMap an error occurs.
  •  

jonny.blue

When I turn my tablet in this dialog from landscape to portrait Locus crashes complet.
  •  

Menion

Quite a lot of feedbacks, thanks!

Thanks @Tobias for explanation regards themes.

Oki, so in the next version
For V3 maps, the app will offer all possible themes.
For V4+ maps, the app will offer all themes except V3 with "locus-extended". Such themes are optimized for modifier V3 renderer, that is not used for V4+ maps. Oki?

I've also added support for V5 and generally any future themes.

@michaelbechtold
please watch problems with selecting & crash and in case there will be any, screenshot or steps to simulate will be useful. And yes, the new system completely adapts all raster and vector maps to device DPI. There is still settings in the app to rescale maps, but it should not be generally needed now.

Master of the world map :). I'll look on mentioned two problems with the world map, thanks. You wrote about too big raster maps: hard to say if there is or isn't a problem. Important is to check if raster map has a scale for zoom level you try to display or if the app just had to rescale this raster map. The indicator at the top should display real used map zoom together with scale for this zoom.

The difference in the displayed scale for LoMaps & OAM maps is probably correct. As I wrote, these numbers no longer display some computed zoom & scale value as before, but now it displays real zoom and scale of the selected map used to draw a map. LoMaps use V3 renderer that rescales content different than new V4 renderer, so LoMaps will draw more details sooner, but it needs specially prepared themes. V4 does not need so special themes to correctly draw on various DPI phones. Uff, long topic ... I may write about it later a little more if there will be interest.

@Tobias
"apply theme when click on map", fixed
"zoom level/magnificaction can't be switched on when touching the map scale" - may you describe it little?
"scale of V4 maps" - not same, hmm it's possible, but the difference should be really small

@john_percy
interesting with "double folders". Do you have default map directory in settings > misc > Default directories left on default values?

Anyway, I've wrapped function that search for possible directories into one more function that may guarantee that found directories and unique. So in next version, let me know if it works, thanks.

@Andrew Heard
- shading is not working? Please, double check it's settings because I see no problem here.
- interesting with the side panel, I'll check it thanks

@jonny.blue
problem with Germany Mid ML & Outdoor HD ... wrong theme & map combination. I may check and display some better message for this, anyway because I enabled almost unlimited combinations of maps & themes, this is result when not used correctly.
I'll look at mentioned crash, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

SwissPoPo

Quote from: menion on April 06, 2019, 15:27:28
2. V4 theme for V3 maps? I'm no expert, but does it make sense?
Yes. Tobias has already explained that theme and map version do not relate to each other. So, nothing to add.

Quote from: menion on April 06, 2019, 15:27:28
I did not notice some artifacts on the maps during theme switching. Between which themes you switched so I may simulate it?
I have used a Freizeitkarte v1 and v4 theme (they have a different symbol set). But they are both outdated and no longer available (v5 is). So, I've  searched another way to test it.

Any v4 map (e.g. mapsforge). Themes Internal and Elevate. Search a graveyard with name tag.
The internal theme is using a blue sans serif font.
The elevate theme is using a brown italic serif font.
The font style is not coming from the selected theme in every zoom level.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on April 07, 2019, 15:00:18
"zoom level/magnificaction can't be switched on when touching the map scale" - may you describe it little?
In the map view the map scale (e.g. 200 m) in the lower left corner can't be switched to show the zoom level/magnification in brackets by touching it (V4 OAM) any more.
Quote"scale of V4 maps" - not same, hmm it's possible, but the difference should be really small
My mistake, as I didn't have the magnification in the map scale, I didn't realize that the map was slightly zoomed. Now I switched the top bar to show map info, and with 100% in all apps the view is the same - perfect!
  •  

john_percy

I don't fully agree with Tobias and really don't understand the zooming idea.
For example, when I change from LoMap (or OAM V3) ZL 20 @ 75% to OAM Mapsforge V4 the zoom changes to ZL 18 @ 100% with the map showing the same area. That obviously seriously affects what items are displayed at what map size. Will I need to change all the zoom-min settings in the V4 theme or what?

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org

Tobias

Quote from: john_percy on April 07, 2019, 19:18:48
I don't fully agree with Tobias and really don't understand the zooming idea.
For example, when I change from LoMap (or OAM V3) ZL 20 @ 75% to OAM Mapsforge V4 the zoom changes to ZL 18 @ 100% with the map showing the same area.
I meant that the rendering is finally how it's meant to be for mapsforge maps, so no rendering differences anymore for the major apps. I think it depends on user preferences if switching maps should show the same area or the same zoom level (although most without deeper understanding will prefer probably the former).
Quote from: john_percy on April 07, 2019, 19:18:48
That obviously seriously affects what items are displayed at what map size. Will I need to change all the zoom-min settings in the V4 theme or what?
Until now with fixed tile size in order to have the map look the same on any device one would need a different theme for every major ppi step. You adjusted your theme to look fine with the ppi of your device, but it looked different on one with a different ppi screen.
You may have to adjust the V4 theme now, but it will look alright and show the same things in the same area no matter if you use it on a 160ppi tablet or 480ppi smartphone.

PS - @John: I also had my issues with this when it was introduced in standard mapsforge, but after a while I realized this is a pretty genius idea. Once set it works flawless.
  •  

jonny.blue

Just wanted to try some geocaching functions with staging server ... but I always receive an error:
Hoppla ... Unauthorisized. Code 401.

But I found no way to authorisize ....
Geocaching addon is working.
  •  

Menion

@SwissPoPo
weird, I'll try it, thanks.

@Tobias
ah, understand. This was removed. There is no longer scale as was before. Locus Map rendering system now use own "camera view" that define what displays on the screen. And all visible maps try it's best to adapt to this camera. If you are interested in which zoom level and rescale is used for the currently visible map, change top toolbar to "map" view.

And exactly same maps in Locus and Orux etc, hmm .. I use own method for the compute of the scale, not the one provided by MapsForge so there might really be a small difference, but nothing serious.

@john_percy
as I wrote above to Tobias, imagine "camera" that display something on the screen. When you change the map, the camera remains exactly the same! This has an effect, that all maps you change to, should display exactly the same area with the best available zoom level.

Difference: V4 maps scale automatically by DPI, but its content is not scaling, it's always the same (maybe a little? Not sure if "dpi" units are supported officially by MapsForge). Compare to this, V3 maps does not scale map tiles by DPI, but scale its content!
This means, that on high DPI devices, V3 maps need to display higher zoom then V4 maps, to display the same area.

I believe that the current system makes absolute sense. Users don't care about some zoom X and zoom Y value. They see some area, switch map and now they see exactly the same area : perfect!

So as Tobias later wrote, there should be no need to modify V4 themes for DPI.

@jonny.blue
hmm I see this error as well but call the same function for the second time, I get an offer to login. What function did you tried? When I personally need login, I open geocaching tools and tap on "Load Pocket queries" :).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion,
did some test and compiled the result and explanation in this zip file.
To reproduce, the OAM files I used are at hand where you'd expect them in OAM.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v6pulm0mmjj5l8/LocusAlpha-Analysis-1.zip?dl=0

Re. the different views for different MF versions, others are more competent than I to discuss the backgrounds.
From a user point of view, a change of scope when switching maps is disturbing, though.

Maybe some configurable scale factors would help here.

Same with the relation between raster maps and vector maps (tehre was discussion about that weeks ago, I think I remember).

I feel there is quite some trails ahead ...

TXs and cheers
Michael

•  

jonny.blue

@jonny.blue
hmm I see this error as well but call the same function for the second time, I get an offer to login. What function did you tried?

I tried to log a visit, log a TB, upload a note ... and can repeat this without a positive result.
Loading a PQ doesn't work either.
  •