Author Topic: mapsforge v4 themes for Openandromaps  (Read 376 times)

Offline zossebart

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Sony Z1 Compact
mapsforge v4 themes for Openandromaps
« on: December 14, 2018, 13:41:56 »
According to this blogpost on openandromaps.org (https://www.openandromaps.org/locus-direct-install-link-fuer-mehrsprachige-v4-karten), OAM plans to stop producing v3 vector maps as of mid 2019.

Fortunately, Locus is able to deal with v4 maps (provided as "ML" - maps from OAM) using the standard mapsforge v4 library (without the Locus-specific enhancements like automatic map loading). Btw.: what other enhancements does the Locus v3 implementation offer compared to the default v4 implementation? I remember something like rendering speed optimizations...what else?

The other thing is themes...currently I use some really nice Locus-specific themes I don't want to miss. I'd like to start a list of OAM-compatible themes and the availability of v4-versions. I try to update the list when I or others find out more details...

themev4 version
Elevateyes
Elementsyes
Voluntaryyes
HiLocurrently unknown
Tiramisuyes
Totmcurrently unknown
outdoorX (outdoor/desert/navigation)currently unknown

The following users thanked this post: menion, michaelbechtold, Viajero Perdido, freischneider

Online john_percy

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: MotoG
Re: mapsforge v4 themes for Openandromaps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:11:40 »
Link to OAM post in English: https://www.openandromaps.org/en/locus-direct-install-link-for-multilanguage-v4-maps

Locus enhancement for v3 includes
- controllable intelligent scaling (resolution-aware) of text, symbols on zooming
- proper treatment of dotted or dashed lines on zooming, so visual spacing stays constant
- fancy labels for roads etc
- ability to display contour lines as smoothed curves
- ability to render elevation text of contour lines "looking up the hill" (switch off rotation of pathtext for "normal" viewing)
- uppercase transformation of text
- dx shift of path text
- dy shift of pathtext understands if text has been rotated for "normal" viewing
- speed enhancements

Someone can probably add to this list which I've just done from the top of my head

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:06:50 by john_percy »

Offline michaelbechtold

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 15:37:26 »
Well, some of that lies in Locus and can be replicated by Menion once he gets serious to move ahead with V4 (incl. MF POI DBs - address DB would stay Locus "private" in any case, I suppose).
Some other useful stuff from your list Menion should contribute to Mapsforge base, which has been a kickstart for Asamm initially ...

The following users thanked this post: tapio, freischneider

Offline zossebart

• Apprentice of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Sony Z1 Compact
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:44 »
Thanks @john_percy for your feedback on the special Locus enhancements!
There is a main thread for mapsforge v4+ development now...but I'd like to keep this thread open because it's about themes and I think not all v3 themes (especially the themes which use locus-specific enhancements) will work with v4 library.

I guess we have to wait for menions actions in the next months and try themes again when there are new (beta) versions available...