[APP] - version 3.21.x (21. 12. 2016+)

Started by Menion, December 21, 2016, 15:04:04

ta-ka

Quote from: menion on January 22, 2017, 12:04:02
Hello ta-ka, this is already possible since this new Beta by "Presets" system.

Wow, really! I will check it out. Thanks!
  •  

Menion

Yep :). In "Presets" are full settings dialogs like in "big" Locus Map settings. Anyway system is different so changes in "Presets" are not immediately changed in whole Locus, but only when "Presets" is loaded. Because of this, every option/preference usable in "Presets", needs to be manually prepared by me. In case of this "Map resolution", it was little bit complicated and took me almost half a day, so I'll try to choose carefully which preferences will be added here. Only these that are changed often ...

For this, I've created small poll, that should help me choose

EDIT: anyway, if anyone will have any idea, how to do this feature better or different, please discuss with me. Even that I like this solution (that's why I made it) I'm not 100% convinced that it's best. I'll probably argue why your idea is hard to implement, but at least we will discuss it little bit ;). Thanks and enjoy Sunday
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ta-ka

I've finally understood how to set map resolution in "Presets" and how it works.  Very good improvemant. :)
I'm going to think and vote what "Presets" setting will be useful.
  •  

balloni55

i struggeled a long time to understand how "preset" work and how to return to my basic settings, :-[
in short words, if user activate one "preset" he had to add a "basic preset" to revert all eventually modified settings  to return to his standart settings,
if a available "preset setting" is insert and checked inside a "preset", it must be reverted in each other preset by insert and unchecked "preset setting" if not wanted there :P
see SS

for me it´s too complicated for now, a option inside each "preset" to deactivate it would be the best ?!
what do you think
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

this is correct. It confirms what I wrote before, that these "presets" are only method, how to set more preferences at once.

Problem with your approach is that it sounds like "Now activate 'Test' preset". Oki, Locus mark it as active, load and set all preferences and what now? What if you disable "Bottom panel hiding", which this preset "is active"? Should it change in preset as well? And when you later disable this preset, to which values restore when you meanwhile already change them? And if you restart Locus Map, which preferences should load? And more and more questions ... these all questions I have in mind, has different answers based on user feeling. I'll probably have different answers then you and then others.

Because of this, I choose maybe little more complicated system to setup, on second side for me it looks perfectly clear, "what will happen". You does not need to worry what happen with "Preset" when you change something later (nothing because there is nothing like "active preset", you will know what happen when you restart Locus (nothing, just last set preferences load as normal) and so on ...

So from my point of view, best is to create "Basic preset" where will be all preferences in base, default value + number of presets for certain activities. I'll prepare two or three as predefined presets that appear after first start of final version, that should help to start.

I can also imagine to create something like "Activate preset X when ... " ... start track recording, start navigation, start guidance, ... but this later.

So, is my explanation logical? If you still think that what you wrote me work, please give me your answers on my questions above. Thanks!
  •  

Andrew Heard

If not already obvious to any reader (because my simple question never answered) Presets are found: menu > settings > more functions > Presets.

I like the concept and direction it is heading. Some points I immediately thought:

• allow selection of map theme
  • allow selection of set of top/right buttons
  • allow change existing preset name
  • allow change existing preset icon
  • I like idea of merging with existing track recording profile
  • after new preset is added the keyboard needs to be closed

I found adding the Map Resolution to presets then changing default eventually crashed my phone - maybe endless loop or recursive call? It was evident that CPU was working 100% as no buttons responded in any other app or Android.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

balloni55

Hello menion,
thanks for your detailed answer.
QuoteSo, is my explanation logical?
logical of course, as usual ;)
5 users with 10 opinions and 20 ideas....
so Andrew like the concept and i didn´t,  we´ll wait for official puplish and the feedback of "poll users"
Quoteplease give me your answers on my questions above
- my current settings are "basic"
- each "preset" include some variation and is only active during this locus session (similar dashboard or CS)
QuoteI'll prepare two or three as predefined presets that appear after first start of final version
I'm waiting anxiously

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

michaelbechtold

Looked into presets today a bit. Definitely like the concept. Final judgement depends on which direction this is growing towards.
I am 100% with ta-ka, that e.g. the map resolution cannot just be on/off, but rather needs to specify magnify values.
If you do not want to support vector map - theme - magnify associations (earlier discussion somewhere else), then putting themes into the preset set will allow to emulate the required effect at least to a little extent.
In general, the poll is a nice start (I did it), but it is SO high level, that the usability cannot be derived from the title of the poll item.
But the box pof Pandora is open, the Presets are growing (which means it gets energy and attention), so I hope we will get the elaborated features that make the whole effort worth while ... Just grouping some existing settings and cloning their existing limitations I do not consider worth while.

•  

Menion

Don't understand the poll incorrectly guys. I made it not to help me decide what method should be best, but it is really simple poll that should help me decide into which settings I should invest time and rewrite them into this new system (because I really do not wants to include all 1538 settings into "presets", but just part of them then is often changing/needed).

@michaelbechtold: map resolution IS already with precise settings of scale :). And yes, I believe that with these "presets", many tasks may be solved, not just scale attached to maps. It depends ...

Anyway some of settings are simple on/off. Here it's quite simple and it's work on 1/2 hour, not a big problem. Some are anyway a lot more complex. I'll try to look today on themes, because it looks like as "most wanted".
  •  

michaelbechtold

Ahh, the prcocess of creating a preset needs some more steps (than I expected :-), I just found.
But now it works. TXs
  •  

Andrew Heard

For me these "presets" are really setting "overrides". It seems to more accurately describe the new feature. Would you consider renaming presets to overrides?

Currently there doesn't appear to be a way to disable a selected preset. Could there be a checkbox at the top of the main dialog?

It seems for each available boolean setting there are 3 possibilities: don't override, force true, force false. Similar for more complex settings. Maybe if the overridden value is same as default value it is displayed in normal font, and if  overridden value is different to default value it is displayed in stronger font?

At present there are two steps to creating a new preset - 1) select list of settings from list 2) decide on overridden value (which may be same as default value anyway). To make it more obvious to user what "is going on here" could there be just a single dialog/ list. I think Wolfgang commented this was confusing too? For each setting there is an "override" checkbox, and if override=true then value control is enabled, and can be modified, and will be in strong font if different to default value.

If list is ever opened subsequent time for further editing, the overridden values are sorted to/ displayed at top of list to save user scrolling through whole long list.

Maybe in the "top level" selection list of presets below each icon, there can be a list of overridden abbreviated or acronym setting names in small font for quick glance. I imagine for each preset there will only be short list of settings that user would override. A long list would suggest user has misunderstood the purpose of presets.

Just my 2 cents of thoughts after some further usage and reading other forum comments.

slarti76

Quote from: Andrew Heard on January 24, 2017, 23:51:33
For me these "presets" are really setting "overrides". It seems to more accurately describe the new feature. Would you consider renaming presets to overrides?
But "override" would imply that you could revert these settings - if I understand Menion correctly, that's exactly what is not supposed to be possible.

Quote from: Andrew Heard on January 24, 2017, 23:51:33Currently there doesn't appear to be a way to disable a selected preset. Could there be a checkbox at the top of the main dialog?
Again, I far as I understood Menion, these presets change a collection of settings for good. You can't simply revert - you'd have to create an "inverted" preset. That's why there's no "disable", and that's why "override" is the wrong term, I think.
  •  

Menion

Yep, that is correct. Imagine is as a simple shortcut ... currently you needs to manually set few settings here and there and this tool do this for you. So it is same as you do manually, it simply change some settings .... nothing more.

@Andrew Heard: you probably still understand it wrong .. there is nothing like "Active preset". These "Presets" are just collection of settings that change when you tap on it as I wrote before. Hmm cannot describe it better with my English now :).
  •  

Andrew Heard

OK, thanks for clarifying @menion & @slarti76. Should that therefore mean a "default" preset is initially created with all the relevant/ current settings?
  •  

Menion

To final version, I'll prepare two or three ready-to-use presets, that will simplify start of using of this feature.
  •