Slower on a newer phone?

Started by rt, May 08, 2016, 07:42:47

rt

Hi, after 2 years of using Locus Pro on a Samsung Galaxy S5 I dropped the phone killing the screen. Had to replace it, chose Galaxy S7.

Exported Locus backup on the old phone, imported on new one.
My old phone had main Locus folder on internal flash, this is also where I kept the more frequently used maps; some extra maps were on external sdcard (internal flash was faster but smaller).
My new phone only has internal flash (big enough for now).

This is where the trouble begins. Locus is slower on the new phone. The UI and map redraws feel more sluggish, there are visible delays.

This comes completely unexpected, if anything I'd have hoped the newer phone would be faster:
- faster CPU,
- faster flash,
- twice the RAM, more caching opportunities,
- the only thing that I think could have a negative impact would be higher resolution, more screen estate to redraw.

And the phone certainly feels faster overall, just not in Locus where it is slower.

Just to make sure I haven't gone crazy I also checked against my wife's phone who still has an S5 and yeah, it's faster.

Can anything be done with this situation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

•  

jusc

I didn´t see this with my tests with S7 edge, It wasn´t slower, because of it´s very high display density you had at least to zoom in one level more to compare the view range.
With other words zoom level 16 wasn´t the same as on the older Note 2. You got nearly the double range on S7 compared to Note 2 with same display size of 5,5".

If you use it p. e. outdoors, you could take zoom level 16 with Note 2, but have to choice level 17 or 18 with high density phones.
You are right, Locus or better its usability doesn´t really benefit from highest performance phones.
Regards J.
  •  

Michal

Hi,
it's strange as we do use Locus Pro on a S7 and without problems, without lagging. There are a few aspects associated with Locus that can influence the device performance but they are valid generally, not just for your particular make: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:locus_performance
PR/support & UXW & copy, Locus team, Asamm Software, Prague
  •  

ilya.anderson

I have the same problem. Just upgraded to a galaxy S7 from an S5.
The S7 now lags terribly and the side panel hangs when opening and closing. Have re installed with no sucess.
Also running locus pro on galaxy 2S 8inch tab with no problems

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

•  

rt

Quote from: ilya.anderson on May 22, 2016, 12:01:31
I have the same problem. Just upgraded to a galaxy S7 from an S5.
The S7 now lags terribly and the side panel hangs when opening and closing. Have re installed with no sucess.
Also running locus pro on galaxy 2S 8inch tab with no problems

Yep, still irritatingly slow for me :(

What's worse, I tried disabling all animations in phone options, all UI is lightning fast, just Locus UI is sadly unaffected by this option.

@Menion, any chance to disable animations in Locus UI or - better - follow the system setting?

•  

Menion

Hi, this is not mainly a problem of animation. It is a problem how Locus draw a maps. New devices SGS7 draw a lot more map tiles then older devices and this cause a problems. I have one ace in hands so we will see with next version.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ilya.anderson

With the new update this morning im happy to report things are much better. Side by side with my s5 they are pretty much equal now.
Good work dev

•  

Menion

Good day ilya,

interesting ... how to say it ... by "we will see in next version", I though in version 3.18.0. I've worked on this task yesterday and I believe there will be significant change. But! In current version from Google Play, there were absolutely no serious change that should affect speed of maps! So I think, it will be more some change on your side - like lower number of points/tracks on a map, disabled overlay, disabled WMS, or something like this. Anyway if it's faster now, then it's fine :).
  •  

rt

Quote from: ilya.anderson on May 28, 2016, 01:56:40
With the new update this morning im happy to report things are much better. Side by side with my s5 they are pretty much equal now.
Good work dev

Hi, what version are you on? Mine is still 3.17.2 from May 22nd, the problem is still there.

•  

ilya.anderson

Sorry. My mistake. If i move the map on an area with high detail it is still slow.

•  

Menion

Guys, if anyone of you use Locus Map Beta versions, please try latest and let me know. It should be a lot better now. I hope :).
  •  

rt

Quote from: menion on June 03, 2016, 13:03:13
Guys, if anyone of you use Locus Map Beta versions, please try latest and let me know. It should be a lot better now. I hope :).
That's great news, much appreciated!

As my SGS7 is not rooted yet I lack reliable means of backup & restore so I'll rather wait for the release version (which I hope will follow soon ).

r.

•  

jusc

You don't need to root your phone. Just become a member of Locus beta testers.
Regards J.
  •  

rt

Quote from: jusc on June 05, 2016, 12:18:24
You don't need to root your phone. Just become a member of Locus beta testers.
Sorry, I was unclear. If I want to reliably backup/ restore (which I do), I prefer to rely on Titanium Backup rather than in-app or Google.

•  

jusc

I don´t understand...
Backup/Restore has nothing to do with Locus beta tests.
For beta testing you have only to install Locus Free (parallel to Locus Pro version). You can use both versions at the sam time if you want
The free version becomes from time to time a full version for users who are participating in beta member group.
(http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3879.0)
Regards J.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion