Track editor

Started by wvmarle, October 09, 2014, 16:37:53

wvmarle

Hi,

Recently I got the automatic upgrade, now I can't edit my recorded tracks any more.
The ones that I'm missing now (amongst many more lost functions):
- the left-hand menu with buttons for Next/Previous point, Delete All After, etc.
- bottom menu that can give information about individual points

Where can I find this now? It used to come automaticlaly when activating the track - now only some rather useless thing appears, that doesn't have the functions that I'm looking for.

Wouter.
  •  

Menion

In screen with a track detail, tap in bottom menu on "Edit on map" button.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

wvmarle

Yes, just found it myself... strongly prefer the old way where those edit buttons simply appeared. Also missing the time stamp in the small popup when selecting a point.
  •  

Menion

time's changed, sorry.

Anyway I agree that current solution takes a lot more time. It's planned improvements. Just not yet know how to do it better, so it will take some time.
  •  

Bucky Kid

Quote from: wvmarle on October 09, 2014, 16:42:37
Yes, just found it myself... strongly prefer the old way where those edit buttons simply appeared.

I'd prefer this too, that are already two votes so hopefully a solution to get faster into track editing will find.
  •  

Christian

If this thread not exits I would have created it...
Was the first time out in the wild with v3.3.0  and was not happy with the new track detail screen apperaring when tapping on the track. I expect info about way to go / went and the direction of the track (I use arrows as track line for round trips or figure eight...).
If I want to change the position of a couple of points I have to go a long way :(
So this new track detail is totally useless to me and forces a lot of cpu time additionally.
Sorry menion for these harsh words. But please change this.
  •  

Menion

@Christian: a long way? lot of CPU? useless? It's just two taps more at start. Then, no matter how much points you edit, it's same as before.

Whole change comes from a very simple think - what you do more often with track
1) check values, stats, charts, edit style, edit parameters > new system is better
2) start guide, navigation, calculate area > new system is same as old
3) edit points on map, check specific points > new system is worst

So I decided, that 1) if more often used then 3). That's all.
  •  

jusc

@menion,
Perhaps you can make a choice in settings, how tapping on track works?
Some people like the old way. :)
After looking at the stored track on map I want to remove some useless points at first, before looking at the statistics.
Regards J.
  •  

Bucky Kid

Already three people prefer old style, I made a idea request at Getsatisfaction so vote please here: http://help.locusmap.eu/responses/enable-handling-the-track-on-tap-the-old-way-pre-330
  •  

Christian

Thank you menion for sharing your thoughts.

The "old" system with the bars automatically hidden when not used (nice!), keeps the screen clear and structured. We had option for "info", "Settings" and "tools" when track was highlighted. So all were absolutely useful without hiding the map or restraining your thoughts of how to process. This system was very clever and nearly perfect from the point of view of a user and one reason to switch from my old apps to Locus.

It worked like a mechanic used to work: he has a workpiece on his workbench and depending on what he want to do he has the option to get information about it immediately or he opens the toolbox and get the tools onsight and at once.
The new system shows in all cases a overwiew of the workbench, a mini map and different further options of the possible process. This is not what the mechanic expects. So it needs a further action to continue.

If you are in hurry or on bike you need a safe "one tap solution" without thinking about or searching for anything.
If you are on a long trip and have to save battery this behavior rises the load and discharge the battery.
The mini-map ist useless for me because even on my big screen of the Note i can not get enough information of the names of small villages around the track. The minimap is not updated if the track has been changed.
The problem with "snap to track" to get immediately information about way to go, heightmeter to go and the direction of the track is back again. So i have to fiddle with the fingers to push the cursor ofver one trackpoint. This problem was already solved and forces me now to stand, pulling out the gloves ...

I had a look on help site looking for the user requests to change this system with overview and mini map but could not find anything.

For me the new system is a clear regress in handling Locus and i would like to ask you to change it back or to give users an option to change the behavior in settings or in config-file. Thats why i voted for the request on help-site.

Nornally i'm avaricious for all new features in Locus. This time not :(

Regards,
Christian

•  

Menion

Thanks for a feedbacks ...

1) I' surprised that you don't complain sooner. This feature was already in BETA versions at least 14 days before release, maybe a longer.

2) seems that it's problem only for a "hardcore" Locus users, because we still don't have any emails because of this. To be true, I expected a lot worst feedback :).

Anyway as I wrote, I'll try to do something about it, so don't worry.

What is currently most simply solution is to add choice if display track screen or directly "Edit on a map" mode. Is little bit different bottom panel enough for you? Because there is missing few buttons from old bottom panel / left panel solution (like start of navigation/guiding, some tools).
  •  

Christian

Sorry menion, I am not a beta tester. I tested to often in my life and now i am enjoying to use tested software.
The core of my complaining is that the old system was nearly perfect. So no needs to discuss about one or two buttons or other details to change.

More users will come up and claiming for the old one ;) see next thread.

Christian

•  

Menion

Understand :).

Anyway there is not so much users. As I wrote before - what you and others wants, is feature for 10% of active users, not more. I know this also from usage statistics.

Anyway even that I still understand "increased battery usage" (it has no effect here I believe), I'm also aware that current solution complicate some quite basic work. I really do not want to go back to old solution, when screen was full of buttons. So here is some "middle" solution, that I believe should be perfect for all sides ... http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4195.msg32685#msg32685
  •  

Masterijn

In my house people use the hallway to go to the toilet in 90% of the time. So what I did was I put the toilet in the hallway. And now we climb out of the window to go outside :)The problem here is that the statistics screen is somewhat obstructive, it is an extra UI to visit to come BACK in the UI where one needs to be, but in a different state. I don't like it either. Optimizing software to do someting faster on average isn't always good. User don't count seconds, but irritations. :)
  •  

Menion

Quote from: Masterijn on October 14, 2014, 12:47:47
In my house people use the hallway to go to the toilet in 90% of the time. So what I did was I put the toilet in the hallway. And now we climb out of the window to go outside :)
Good idea, I`ll discuss it at home also ;)

Anyway as I wrote before. I absolutely agree, there is space for improvements. Did you check link in my previous post? This is currently my best solution.
  •