[APP] - version 2.20.X+ (updated 27.5.2014)

Started by Menion, March 25, 2014, 16:20:46

Robin99

There is missing geocaching option for field notes: always log offline.
  •  

Menion

@gynta: ah sorry. I sometimes forget :). So after week testing - in second RC version

@Robin: yes, I removed it. It was now hard to implement to changed side panel
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

old style bottom record panel is back.
nice . some guys are happy now :)
where can i choose/change my rec profile?

Menion

I read part of your crazy german discussion, so this panel is there just on test. I'm on no yet decided that this panel will be in final version. From my point of view it's confusing to have there two panel for one feature and I still not see any problem with side panel.

And profiles may be changed in settings.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on May 23, 2014, 21:26:19crazy german discussion
That's not nice.  :'(
It was a constructive discussion with clear argument from Jürgen.
In his case see examples here:
http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3919.msg29392#msg29392
Some user only need start/pause stop - without values panel.
For this user without dashboard skills, the new rec sidepanel was a step backward.
Matthias also told you: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3796.msg28650#msg28650

QuoteAnd profiles may be changed in settings.
yes - but only for the new rec side panel.

eldron

I think the choice between side panel and bottom panel for track recording is a good solution for now.
You can actually have both at the same time now - i activated the bottom panel, changed back to side panel and the bottom panel stayed. By clicking on the track record button in the right bar the side panel opened  ;)
Like Robin i miss the always log offline option, but i can live with the extra click (now that i have my "log cache" button back at the bottom ;-)
What is meant with this:
-added working version of automatic GC Offlinizer (for now enabling in config.cfg)
Would that automatically offlinize (does that word even exist??) the caches after downloading them?
  •  

gynta

Quote from: eldron on May 23, 2014, 22:18:55
You can actually have both at the same time now - i activated the bottom panel, changed back to side panel and the bottom panel stayed. By clicking on the track record button in the right bar the side panel opened  ;)
nice trick!

Menion

"crazy discussion" isn't negative sentence. Maybe imagine it in quotation marks ;)

Anyway post you point on is working only in case, you still see old track record panel on map. If you hide it, then you always need additional taps to make it visible. And for is main question - why you need this panel still visible? When I go on bike or some walk, I just start recording and stop it when came back home. And I believe it's a use case of majority of users.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: eldron on May 23, 2014, 22:18:55
-added working version of automatic GC Offlinizer (for now enabling in config.cfg)
Would that automatically offlinize (does that word even exist??) the caches after downloading them?
It's just testing feature for now, anyway it do only simple thing. If you watch any cache in Locus, all visible images are in that moment automatically downloaded by locus to cache folder (locus/data/geocaching/... ) and in listing, images etc. tags are visible these pre-loaded images.

Currently all images download android itself so they are cached only for a while (cache is limited by around 10 MB).
  •  

jusc

Quote from: menion on May 24, 2014, 08:07:51

Anyway post you point on is working only in case, you still see old track record panel on map. If you hide it, then you always need additional taps to make it visible. And for is main question - why you need this panel still visible? When I go on bike or some walk, I just start recording and stop it when came back home. And I believe it's a use case of majority of users.

Maybe for majority of users... I´dont see the majority, because only very few users are interested in this discussion.
Latest comment  on Google+ is from May 16th (with other topic) and not even only one topic at Google Groups from "testers". So where is the feedback of testers?
And what about one click solutions for OSM mappers using quickpoints "onroad"? Or what about users which use Locus as stopwatch?
I vote for "one" click solutions. Perhaps the majority can convince me otherwise.  ;D
I tried dashboard solutions, they work well, but if you share them to other phones you have to adapt them.
Regards J.
  •  

balloni55

Quote2. while using chart during movement only the last 2 km of the track are displayed and if standing still the whole distance is visible. Is there a possibility to view allways the whole distance?
no answer ???
and the new result in new testversion confused me complete, see video, jumping point and jumping distance.
EDIT: possible reason, on way back i take partly the same way, possibly locus mix both directions?

Quote3. Is it possible, if top or bottom field is not used for a "chart" to display item name and value one behind the other? In my example i see "Speed" in bottomfield, but not the value :( there is enough space ;)
no answer, no improvement
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

balloni55

QuoteIf you watch any cache in Locus, all visible images are in that moment automatically downloaded by locus to cache folder
additional question:
is it possible to fix it only with wifi connection?
Sometimes i use GC4L "Live map" and i have no flatrate
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

@jusc: I don't know where is feedback from testers. I have one major benefits from testing - if Locus seriously crash - "Force close", I receive report with this crash log. So I can try to find where is a problem. If users do not comment or react on this new version, only what I may think is that everything is OK or they don't care. So because except few posts from you, I had no negative reactions on new track record panel, I believe, people don't care or like it.

Other use cases as you wrote - I belive we may togetger find 100 possible activities, where you may use track record in different way. I always try to find optimal solution which will be somewhere between all possibilities.

My first idea was to create completely separate screen just for track record, but it was even slower during field testing because there were no ability to show/hide with slide. So this was something between.

I don't know who except you still have problems with side panel. I personally found it very useful during ride on bike. Bottom panel on map with it's tiny buttons is very hard to touch during ride, almost impossible. So you still always have to stop to tap on any buttons. With this side panel it is not a problem. Hmm anyway, may you describe me what you do with "track record" feature during one day bike ride? Because maybe this may help me understand why you need to have this panel still visible.

@balloni: 2. hmm I wrote it somewhere ... mnt. Ah just partially here http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3796.msg29355#msg29355 , sorry. So on chart, you see only last 100 points, no more. This limit is there to prevent bigger CPU usage due to some computations needed on bigger charts. Anyway I was thinking about it, and in worst case I may create this parameter configurable by config.cfg

3. sorry, not possible now. Track record is created with exactly same method as a dashboard you create. So what isn't possible in dashboard, isn't possible here.

And offlinizer - I wrote it incorrectly. Better description:
Current Locus version (official):
1. you import any cache, display it on map. Till now, nothing happen.
2. You tap on cache, now you see new screen with point details (geocache details).
3. Locus display listing and Android WebView component starts download images to it's own cache.
4. .. then you check few more geocaches and every cache download it's images to WebView cache. This cache is limited to 10 MB, so when it's fill, new images overwrite olders.
5. You display again first cache and Locus needs to download these images again!!

New Locus Test version:
same steps, except
3. Locus display listing and Android WebView component starts loading images - here anyway comes my code which firstly download all images on card (same directory as GC Offlinizer). And then add these images to WebView.
5. Same point, but images are still cached on card.

This feature is anyway in "DEV" part, because I saw some small problem with reloading of webView page after images are downloaded, so I have to be firstly 100% sure, it work as expected.

Better?
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on May 24, 2014, 18:10:48...I personally found it very useful during ride on bike. Bottom panel on map with it's tiny buttons is very hard to touch during ride, almost impossible.
agree. but now we have a tiny button to open the record panel and after that(!!) I see a larger button to pause track record.
thats the point. Same to restart.

edit
new:  and old:   

Menion

it's not exact. Better - you're correct. I had exactly same problem, too tiny button on side. But in this last test version, this side button react also on slide from side, so you do not have to directly touch it. I already tested it on bike and it works perfectly. Just slide from border of device over this button and it opens side panel.
  •