Author Topic: Automatic Display activation  (Read 44498 times)

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.asamm.com
  • Device: SGS7
Re: Automatic Display activation
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2015, 19:33:17 »
hmm interesting .. please tell me also your guidance > "Set next point" parameter. I'm testing it with default value 100 m, and it works quite well for me (simulation behind desk), damn.
Ideas, wishes, problems
Advanced topics, public discussion, sharing of knowledges, testing beta versions: you're here!

Offline Christian

• Premium
  • Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 20:04:39 »
60m.
Was a good value during beta testing.
This value should not activate display, isn't?

Offline 0709

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: THL4000 CM12.1 SM-T235 A5.5.1 MI A2 Lite A9
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2015, 20:24:34 »
In Navigation the auto screen on/off function works perfect. As I do not use, nor test guiding, I now did only a very short first  guiding autoscreen on/off test. I have the impression that there is a screen on trigger on each trackpoint ? On Navpoints  additionaly there is that  notification sound.  No ?
Locus Pro 3.44

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2015, 20:28:17 »
Actually it should. Because this value say a distance when Locus switch to another trackpoint so a moment when Locus also turn on screen. Since that moment till you pass a changed trackpoint, Locus try to keep screen on. Anyway when you have defined 60 metres and when you have some own defined navigation waypoints, only from 60 to 0 metres before these waypoints!, screen should be turn on. Weird.

Looks to me a really similar to this issue: http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/guidance-keeps-screen-on#comment-18249 , so there is definitely some problem I'm unable to simulate. Have to dig in deeper, thanks for now.
Ideas, wishes, problems
Advanced topics, public discussion, sharing of knowledges, testing beta versions: you're here!

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2015, 20:34:43 »
In Navigation the auto screen on/off function works perfect. As I do not use, nor test guiding, I now did only a very short first  guiding autoscreen on/off test. I have the impression that there is a screen on trigger on each trackpoint ? On Navpoints  additionaly there is that  notification sound.  No ?

Hmm this should happen only in case of enabled "Notify on every trackpoint".
Ideas, wishes, problems

Offline Christian

• Premium
  • Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2015, 20:53:05 »
....Looks to me a really similar to this issue: http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/guidance-keeps-screen-on#comment-18249 , so there is definitely some problem I'm unable to simulate. Have to dig in deeper, thanks for now.
Yes. Its similar. So I guess we have a bug :(

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2015, 21:11:05 »
Christian, are you willing to do a field test with special version that will print out extra information to log? Because I see absolutely no reason why this may happen :/
Ideas, wishes, problems

Offline Christian

• Premium
  • Master of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2015, 21:48:00 »
Yes, next week I can test something.
Be aware I am using Android 4.1.1...

Offline 0709

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:58 »
Difference in Navigation and Guiding. See test circuit in picture. See Trackpoints and Navpoints.

A simulated drive at 36 kmh. Auto screen off setting 15 seconds.
Navigation: "config.cfg" setting, is single screen on 13 seconds before Navpoints.
See the you tube videos: Screen on/off  and audio records.
Locus Guiding TTS: https://youtu.be/LBKK85ptIHQ
Locus Navigation TTS: https://youtu.be/tWra8IUpPr4
(Black screen in video = auto screen off action ! = not a broken movie  !).
Guiding is very (too) dependent on available trackpoints.
Results in randomly and unreliable guiding and no-good screen on/off sequences.
Locus Pro 3.44

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 10:05:08 »
Hmm nice videos, thanks. It works for you exactly as I should expect to work it. Unfortunately even you do not get any permanent "turn-onning" like Christian.

It me more and more force to really completely removing "guidance" from Locus (as was suggested few times on different places) and just improve navigation to allow some tuning like "remove big left navigation arrow from map screen" and "keep style of track". And well ... it's maybe only main difference why not to use "navigation" and use only "guidance", right?
Ideas, wishes, problems

Offline Andrew Heard

• Master of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy A5 Oreo/8, Lenovo Note 4 Nougat/7.1
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 11:01:24 »
+1 to remove guidance & integrate those special settings with navigation, I've always found the difference a little confusing and unnecessary

I remember @Michal's comment in 3.8.0 news and had a laugh:

"The difference between route navigation and guiding is hopefully not necessary to be explained in detail."

hmmm

Offline 0709

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 11:25:30 »
I think (hope) we all agree Navigation result is technically more performant. I also prefer the Navigation system presentation. The (ticker) track line with the  white arrowed section at navpoints deliver a fine "where to go to"  visual prealert . The bigger arrow-button has the right size for me to touch, and call the bigger sized function panel.  I prefer this above the very small guiding touchpanel during real operation. So the different opinion between navigation and guiding users only concerns the presentation and "cosmetics".
Locus Pro 3.44

Offline Bucky Kid

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 11:58:32 »
I have passed last trip using half a way guiding and half way heuristic navigation and for me the guiding (in terrain) is more convenient (including the audio notifications system). Only navigation feature I would welcome in guiding mode is auto display activation in some advance (~100m) before expected sharp turn, staying on up to the turn passed. However if there's enough pass through waypoints the screen is anyway on most of time. The screen on and audio alerts on next waypoint worked quite reliably. One question remaining is how auto display OFF should work together display always ON. I personaly vote for autodisplay ON overriding auto OFF option.

Offline 0709

• Padavan of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 14:04:21 »
@ Bucky Kid.

Source file ? Generated tcx file by Website as RWGPS or BRT or generated from Garmin program ? See picture reply 114.
Instructions by the Locus Generator: The original "hidden" track has 8 trackpoints, the helper track by internal generator has 22 trackpoints. Navpoints on helper track generated by the internal generator. (high).
See picture, same traject,

More trackpoints and trackpathrun position near turns changed. Not a lossless operation = lowfidelety ! Better guiding or unexpected feature when using internal generator ? As guiding is very dependent on available trackpoints.

Display always on. Works perfect. 
Condition: Screen on by Gesture control action. And in config.cfg:
# Disable "Turn off if idle" when screen was turn on by gesture (default: false)
turn_on_screen_by_gesture_disable_auto_screen_off=1

If screen is in on by a Gesture wave on, arriving at a Navpoint there is new screen on activation. But as screen was already on, no change.  After (15 sec, my setting) "screen off" a return to the previous screen state, from before arriving at the Navpoint, resulting in: screen stays on.

If screen on by Gesture on wave, you can drive all next Navpoints without a screen off ever. (until battery dies).

If screen was off by Gesture off wave, arriving at Navpoint there is screen on action and after (15 sec, my setting) a return to previous screen state or a screen off.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 20:35:30 by 0709 »
Locus Pro 3.44

Offline menion

• Administrator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2015, 22:35:59 »
I was looking carefully on 0709 videos and as i wrote - it works as I expect it should work. Anyway it works quite weird :). Anyway because Christian also reported some issue which I do not know, why precisely it happen, in new version 3.9.3.3 is system for "turn on screen" changed a little bit. Now the key parameter is "set next trackpoint". When Locus gets closer then on this value (below this value), TTS + screen on happen. Till now, this was when Locus changed from previous point to new next point. As visible on video, if distance was too long, notification happen too soon and when you get to point, screen was already turned off. So useless ... I hope this will work a lot better.
Ideas, wishes, problems