maximum number of geocaches to be handled

Started by bongo, November 24, 2011, 16:47:52

bongo

what is the maximum number of geocaches, locus is able to handle?
import seems to abort after a few thousands...
  •  

Menion

hmm import or direct display? Import should have not be limited ...

direct display is limited  by memory. In case of geocache I do not suggest to directly display more then 500 caches. About displaying points from database ... limit also depend on device, but should be at least around 20k points on low-end devices I think ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bongo

i tried to do it with the poi import function. is this direct display or import?
what are the 2 ways to show geocaches on the map? (is there a manual that describes how to do this?)
is there only a limit of the number of geocaches, or does it also depend on the file size, i.e. the number of logs included within the gpx?
  •  

Menion

when you press "import data" on data manager screen, there is checkbox on bottom "Only display". This is what I mean when i say only display :). Anyway uncheck this button and import data you want to display into some category. With this system there isn't any limit. Locus should handle really a lot of points. When you keep "Only display" checked, I suggest to limit number of displayed points. Here is problem that all data needs to be keep in memory and in case you want to display geocaches, there is really a lot of data.

anyway bongo I really suggest to test by your own. If you have any problem with importing few thousands of pois into category (not "Only display"), send me your problematic file and I'll look at it.
  •  

bongo

i tried to import (not only display) a gpx file with 16000 caches for several times, but it always failed.
so now i try to get rid of the caches it already imported, but i can't manage to do so.
i try to open the pois to select them to delete, but while opening the poi manager (takes several minutes), locus crashes.
how can i get rid of these pois? is there a way to delete the whole category?
thanx for your help!
  •  

Menion

I just tried to import 10k caches and it works quite good. Anyway I have SGS2 and it's not just more powerful, but mainly it allow to apps to use more memory then your phone. So I really suggest to separate your data to more categories. You'll also find working with more categories more comfortable then current with one big.

About deleting ... go to Categories screen and here you may tap on category and choose delete
  •  

bongo

so you think that the 512mb ram are not enough to run this?
how much should i have?
  •  

Menion

this is not about ram, it's about memory that system allow to application use. Hi-end devices allow around 24MB, low-end usually around 16. Locus itself take around 10MB, so there usually do not remain a lot of space for huge operations ... I really suggest separate import to few categories. I unfortunately cannot help here
  •  

bongo

hm. how can i find out how much memory a device allows an application to use?
if i buy a new one, how can i know?
  •  

Menion

maybe something like this? http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/zte-blade/

max memory that can applications use is called "Heap limit"
  •  

bongo

thanx!
in the mean time, i was able to import 16000 caches, but without logs. looks like importing without logs is less a problem.
now i installed this blade buddy application. it showed a heap limit of 32m. i increased to 64m. hoped this will help...
but when going to the category folder to tick all the waypoints, the work indication turns for a few minutes and then i get the message:
die anwendung locus free wurde beendet
looks like there's still a problem ;-(
  •  

berkley

Hey bongo,

looks like you got a real serious problem... ;)
If you have 10.000 geocaches to solve... let's say you solve on an averedge day about 3 geocaches... this still means you have work for about a year... damn :D
how much time you got :P

Cheers
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

stebu

Actually 10 000 caches / (3 caches/day) ~ 10 years  :o

I have split mine into several categories, each around 1000...2000 caches. I have no problems with these.
  •  

Menion

finally few reasonable posts, thanks guys :)

bongo, I really cannot serve ... separate data, it's my only advice. Otherwise you're using wrong software ...
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "stebu"Actually 10 000 caches / (3 caches/day) ~ 10 years  :o

I have split mine into several categories, each around 1000...2000 caches. I have no problems with these.

Ehm yes... Thanks Stebu for correction :D
So it'll be 30 caches a day  :mrgreen: to have work for around a year. But you'd never get the new ones...

Well I heard of chachers finding 50+ caches a day. But I guess they don't do this every day... So... don't know, what to say  :roll:
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •