Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

poutnikl

LM4 is not in Play store yet.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Menion

Thanks Hank, I've forgotten to change status here on the forum and help desk. I was trying to publish is on Wednesday last week. But Google declined this update because of some changes they request in source code. I wrote to them that I'm unable to identify any problem and ... no response. Just on Sunday, they confirmed and published upload versions ...  ::)

PS and yes, as Libor wrote, this belongs more to "regular versions" topics ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

balloni55

Q:
- why are "grade1" tagged ways light grey marked in "Way types" and "Surface" ?
- are infos about "Way types" and "Surface" only available while planing a route? i canĀ“t find a way to make them visible on a stored route.
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Good question ... this will be more complicated :).

Please, forget on what you may see for example on BRouter web site. Locus Map won't work like this. My idea is to split all available surface & grade values into separate categories, that are clear for basic users, that may be easily described, etc.

If someone will be interested, I may publish lists we created with Petr, for possible feedback and corrections.

balloni55

any answer to my second question?

QuoteIf someone will be interested, I may publish lists we created with Petr, for possible feedback and corrections.
of course, we are all interested ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Ah sorry ... yes, this is correct. Data are stored in saved planned routes, but currently are visible only in the Route planner.

I was quite sure, that the new screen for tracks will be ready before we publish LM4, but maybe I'm older and older because things seem to take me more and more time :). Anyway expect that LM4 will have a new screen for points (it's partially already done) and also new screen for tracks (with a new chart, surfaces etc).

•  

Menion

Let's start wit surfaces. Here is current config. Feedback welcome.
On the left side are osm "surface" tags. On the right side are my internal parameters that have translation, color and maybe later some "description".

asphalt -> ASPHALT
compacted -> COMPACTED
concrete, concrete:plates, concrete:lanes -> CONCRETE
dirt -> DIRT
grass, grass_paver -> GRASS
gravel, fine_gravel -> GRAVEL
ground, earth, clay -> GROUND
mud -> MUD
metal -> METAL
paved -> PAVED
sand, dirt/sand -> SAND
paving_stones, paving_stones:30, paving_stones:20, cobblestone, cobblestone:flattened, pebblestone, sett -> STONES
unpaved -> UNPAVED
wood -> WOOD
else -> UNDEFINED
  •  

poutnikl

Hmm, for bicycles, it would be good if similar surface qualities had the same category/colour. Too  many options is hard to remember and the bar chart could be too much scattered.

E.g.

• cobble stones and pebble stones are much closer to gravel than to sett
  • sett is effectively close to concrete, both make you little jumping up/down.
  • finegravel is quite far from gravel. considering smoothness and convenience.
  • paved almost always means asphalt and should probably have the same colour/category.

poutnikl

About the elevation + way type + surface chart, it may be good if they were somehow, even if not exactly, zoomed together with the map.

E.g.  a route is 120 km long, but the map is zoomed in to show just a 5 km long route section between 20 and 25 km. The charts should not show all 120 km, but just the relevant section, possibly with some padding.

Menion

Thanks for tips regards "surfaces", I'll look at it.

Zooming in "slides": I was thinking more about adding them also to segments. When you tap on the segment, there already is a chart just for this particular segment, so why not to have a way types/surface here as well.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: poutnikl

poutnikl

Quote from: menion on September 02, 2020, 08:29:11Zooming in "slides": I was thinking more about adding them also to segments. When you tap on the segment, there already is a chart just for this particular segment, so why not to have a way types/surface here as well.

I guess segments could be good enough. If a profile fits your preferences really good, ( non round ) routes have often none or rather just few route segments, which may be quite long. OTOH, I can always make an extra segment just for sake of having stats, cannot I ?   :D

Menion

Yes, you can :).

I've made some updates, so
asphalt, paved > asphalt
compacted, fine_gravel > compacted
gravel, pebblestone > gravel

I'm not sure about "cobblestone" - so you think rather "gravel" then "stones"?
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: menion on September 02, 2020, 11:08:38I'm not sure about "cobblestone" - so you think rather "gravel" then "stones"?

Well, current usage of cobblestone in OSM is ambiguous. I have read recently there is recommended using sett or unhewn_cobblestone or cobblestone:flattened
what applies the best.

cobblestone in sense of unhewn one is like gravel, even worse, as gravel slides away.
It could be STONES or GRAVEL, probably former .

flattened one is somewhere between unhewn one and sett. But still probably STONES.

Christian

Nice. Surfaces and way types are really important to know - before you start. (There is already a feature request ;))
I created a Excel sheet some years ago where I can fill in  the Brouter output and get a hugh amount of stats. Very helpful for route planning i.e. for the road bike: are there some gravel / unpaved sections on the way ? So if you put the Cobbelstones into the gravel category this would lead to misinterpretation. Cobbelstones belong to paving.
The other way round for MTB route planning: how much unpaved section can I expect? Cobbelstones as Gravel would be wrong.
So please be careful with the assignment.

@poutnikl: nearly all kind of stones (with the meaning of OSM syntax), even unhewn, are poured in concrete or earth or sand. Not rolling or sliding. Only Pebbelstones are like gravel.

My suggestion:
paving_stones, paving_stones:30, paving_stones:20, cobblestone, cobblestone:flattened, sett -> STONES (I would call it PAVING_STONES instead of STONES to avoid confusion)
pebblestone, gravel, fine_gravel -> GRAVEL

my2ct.
  •  

poutnikl

I an well aware cobblestones are not loose, compared to gravel or pebblestones. But it is often disadvantage.

When you rode across the true cobblestones ( not sett nor flattened cobblestones ), you  immediately realize you would rather prefer near any unpaved surface, including gravel, which is kind of soft due its looseness.

Effectively, assigning cobblestones to paved surfaces is an insult to the term paved.