Creating offline maps

Started by ymerejo42, August 23, 2011, 18:05:45

ymerejo42

Hey, I like Locus, love the fact that it integrates with c:geo (well, used to at least. Last time I tried, it didn't), but I'm having an issue.

I'm planning a route, from Charleston, WV to Chillicothe, OH, and I want to download offline maps along my route, plus maybe 5 miles on each side. The problem is, I can't figure out how to do so.

When I create the route, it shows me how we'd need to go. This is no issue, it shows the same as my computer's mapping program, so I know it's the fastest route.

So, I decided to download maps, using the function to trace a route with my finger. The problem is, when I try to do so, it shows me the map to trace the route, but when I touch the screen and start tracing it, all that happens is the map moves.

Would it be possible, instead, to have Locus download the map along a route you've entered? Maybe have an option for how far out to download, then when you enter a navigation route, it auto-downloads the maps, if you have the option for doing so enabled. Seems to me it'd be a lot easier than trying to trace a route with your finger, especially since if you've got a long trip, your finger might be wayyyyyyyyyyyy wider than the route should require.
  •  

Menion

I don't exactly understand what you do, mainly because there is no function "trace route with my finger"

anyway you have two possibility

1. if you're Locus Free user, you have to go to Maps->Download->Select path->Define new path - and here you can define path you want to download manually

2. if you're Locus Pro user, you can use method described above, or you may on same screen select already created (for example computed by some online service or imported to locus from file) path and download area along this path ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ymerejo42

Quote from: "menion"I don't exactly understand what you do, mainly because there is no function "trace route with my finger"

anyway you have two possibility

1. if you're Locus Free user, you have to go to Maps->Download->Select path->Define new path - and here you can define path you want to download manually

2. if you're Locus Pro user, you can use method described above, or you may on same screen select already created (for example computed by some online service or imported to locus from file) path and download area along this path ...

I use Locus Free, when I go to the Maps screen, and click the Download tab, the options are:

This screen
    Select area
    By state
    Select path
    Select POIs
Select path reads "It will download map defined by path and diameter. Drag finger to define basic path. Highlighted points can be dragged." (Emphasis added by me).

So it looks to me as though you're supposed to use your finger, on the map screen, to specify the path you want to download. The problem is, when you select that option, it returns to the map screen, and if I put my finger on the screen and slide it ("drag finger"), it moves the map, not defines a path.

So what I'm asking is, is there any way to have Locus download a path map around a course you've entered in? That way, when you're ready to navigate, you've already got the maps you need. Maybe have options for how much area around it to download? It would be most useful for following a path.
  •  

Menion

ah, there is a very old text I see :) ... when you tap on a "Define new path" under "select path" option, and you return to map, you'll see two new panels on top and bottom of screen. So use these panels to define path area for downloading
  •  

ymerejo42

Quote from: "menion"ah, there is a very old text I see :)

Very old text? It's from the newest version of Locus.
  •  

Menion

newest version doesn't mean that all text are actual!
  •  

ymerejo42

I just decided to download maps of the entire area where I live, even though it means my map is much, MUCH larger than I wanted it to be. I still think it would be a nice feature to auto-download maps along a navigation route, and for maybe 5 miles on each side, just because it would be very convenient when planning trips.
  •  

Menion

we probably do not understand each other!!

1. in free version is possibility to define path by points and diameter along which track will be downloaded!
2. in Pro version is also posibility to download path along already recorded or imported track!!!

so it already there, even with Free version you can download some area along path just with few more clicks!!
  •  

ymerejo42

Yeah, there's a misunderstanding, especially since when I tell it I want to download along a path, it erases any paths I already have, like a trip I'm planning. So that makes it kinda useless in that department.

What would be nice is if there were an option on the route screen to auto-download the map. That way, when you enter the trip, it will ask if you want to go ahead and download it, which would be easier and very convenient for most users.
  •