Downloaded maps vs cached maps

Started by kbfifi, August 07, 2011, 12:40:26

kbfifi

Hi,

I'm about to go on a holiday to Norway tomorrow and I just want to make sure I have all maps I want. I'm only using cahed maps at the moment but I read somewhere there some kind of cache expired setting (can't find it.)

In short what are the benefits of donwloaded caches vs cached (online) maps?

Thnx,
KbFifi
  •  

berkley

Hi KbFifi,

I can't answer your question correctly. But maybe, I have some advice... Why don't you have a look at http://www.bit.ly/vectormaps ?
I'm pretty sure, you'll find some maps from Norway ;)

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

kbfifi

Thanks for tip. Looks interesting! Since I'm already on my way with limited internet access I cannot download the 500mb right now. I started downloading the offline maps anyway but that also took quite some time. Also the result shows some gaps in the map at certain zoom levels. I tried with a wider path, but that didn't work out. So the vector map is certainly somethjng I will have look at. Anyway it still is a great app.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "kbfifi"Hi,

I'm about to go on a holiday to Norway tomorrow and I just want to make sure I have all maps I want. I'm only using cahed maps at the moment but I read somewhere there some kind of cache expired setting (can't find it.)

In short what are the benefits of donwloaded caches vs cached (online) maps?

Thnx,
KbFifi

Cache expiration settings is when you in list of online maps click on one of this online map, you'll see popup window with some more information and also possibility to set expiration value. Benefit of downloaded map is simple. After successful download, you can be sure, that you have all needed map tiles with you. When you use only cache, you have to see every place manually to store map tiles in cache
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •