Brouter route quality

Started by Forsberg, September 11, 2024, 12:25:58

Forsberg

Hello,

I use LM Classic thus version 3. I use BRouter as well however either its route logic is terrible or the route profile.

I am trying to achieve:

- biking profile, mostly a normal bike not some mountain type to jump over the rocks
- to have some logic in it

So far I tried in-built profiles and some custom on BRouter-online but their results are quite bad.

1. Why does it lead some cumbersome way? How to avoid such stupid route calculation like here on the picture? How does it think that it is better to drive like this?

2. Locus/Broute - reroute calculation in case of detour is a mess. It can break like showing some wrong recalculation or it insist going back instead of recalculate it from the point I am now at the moment.

3. I used "trekking" calc for a route from Zlate Hory to Biskupska kopa.

I trusted it and it lead me by complete rocks and steep like 15 degree which obviously is hardly for any bike.
Why didn't it follow the most logic way - road and maybe in the last moment some walk in harder terrain?

I am tired how navigation in Locus/Brouter works, is there any good biking profile which could be smart, logic enough that it could make routes in a better way and make Locus recalculate a route from the actual point than saying I need to back?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
this is quite a complicated question that depends not just on the profile, but also on your preferences in certain situations.

In the case of BRouter available in the Locus Classic, you have to experiment or ask on the BRouter forum.

I may suggest trying some online routers, like the official BRouter web planner or our own planner that uses identical profiles as Locus Map 4. It may help to easier find ideal routing profiles for your tours.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Forsberg

Quote from: Menion on September 12, 2024, 08:13:40Hi,
this is quite a complicated question that depends not just on the profile, but also on your preferences in certain situations.

In the case of BRouter available in the Locus Classic, you have to experiment or ask on the BRouter forum.

I may suggest trying some online routers, like the official BRouter web planner or our own planner that uses identical profiles as Locus Map 4. It may help to easier find ideal routing profiles for your tours.

Thanks, is it limitation of LM Classic or Brouter that it shows only 1 route and no alternative ones? I've read some Brouter docs and it says there should be alternative ones as well.

I will use Brouter online again for test purposes, wish there was some GUI instead of writing the code of which not everything is covered by docs anyway afaik :)
  •  

Menion

This is the limitation of the Locus Map implementation, not the BRouter. In the next Locus Map 4, alternative routes will be possible in testing mode for internal offline LoRouter only. The problem here is that alternative routes have a pretty bad performance and it's computation takes a lot of time. Unfortunately. That's why I hesitate to make this feature widely available ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

freischneider

I don't need alternative routes. But I think that those who want it don't mind if it takes longer to calculate. So I would turn it off by default. And when I turn it on, a Small warning that the calculation may take longer. I would activate and deactivate the alternative routes directly in the route planner. Ideally in the advanced options. That way you can switch quickly.
Poco F5, Android 13 / Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version or Beta)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Andrew Heard

for my "alternate" routes I simply "save as" a new track for each different routing profile - sometimes road bike/ touring/ small roads/ velo
LM4.25.1.9.1142 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •