Auto screen on and voice stopped working

Started by GusGF, September 02, 2024, 01:43:24

GusGF

A friend gave me a gpx file exported from Komoot. Almost from the word go I had problems. The auto screen on before a turn and voice completely failed to work unless I manually turned on the screen when I would then see my position and hear nav prompts. The auto display off worked fine after a manual turn on. I spent the first hour of the bike ride messing about trying to get it to work. I've not changed any of the settings since I successfully used the app last.

Device admin I believe is still on!
Battery optimisation is off for Locus.
Location position set to "While using the app"
Controlling > Display > Sreeen on/off Control enabled and ticked for all 3 options

This is really disappointing and frustrating when I should have been enjoying the bike ride. Thinking it might have been an issue with the gpx file I downloaded Osmand+, the required maps and imported the route. Within an hour I was up and running with voice prompts for the rest of the ride. Strangely I couldn't get the screen to auto turn on but at least I now knew it wasn't a problem with the gpx file.
The other strange thing was even though I've got the maps downloaded the screen was having problems rendering and I was seeing black grid lines as if it was trying to download them.

I've just paid for a Gold subscription this week and now to have this problem I'm beginning to question if I made the right choice.
Using Locus 4
  •  

Menion

Hello GusGF,
hmm ... are you willing to first try navigation with a route computed internally by the app? Because more people tried to use GPX from Komoot in the Locus Map, but can't imagine how this should correctly work for navigation to be true ...

Anyway please give a try to app route planner, or just simply "Re-route" the imported GPX route and use the result for the navigation. Thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Graf Geo

Sorry if I'm interfering here, I'm probably misunderstanding the problem.

If I plan a tour with Komoot and export it as gmx, I can navigate it in Locus without any problems. "Locus Map automatically generates navigation commands along the route in places of the most remarkable direction changes". Works perfectly.
SG S10, Android 12, LM 4 Gold (last Release version or Beta)
  •  

Menion

Right, with auto-generated navigation commands, it should work.

I thought that Komoot GPX contains some commands that Locus Map ignores, but as I see, GPX contains only trackpoints.
  •  

freischneider

I see it the same way. Import GPX and navigate directly. Locus navigates by changing the angle of the line. From time to time there are too few but usually too many announcements.
Open alternative GPX in the route planner and recalculate. But this almost always produces a completely different route. Locus generates too few shaping points here. I think you should be able to set here: Many shaping points, few shaping points. I would always choose a lot. Even if it takes a little longer to calculate.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Poco F5, Android 13 / Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version or Beta)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: Menion on September 02, 2024, 09:04:29Hello GusGF,
hmm ... are you willing to first try navigation with a route computed internally by the app? Because more people tried to use GPX from Komoot in the Locus Map, but can't imagine how this should correctly work for navigation to be true ...

Anyway please give a try to app route planner, or just simply "Re-route" the imported GPX route and use the result for the navigation. Thanks.

Okay so for routes imported from Komoot I should reroute. I won't get a chance to try this for a while but will certainly give it a try. Thank you
Using Locus 4
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: Graf Geo on September 02, 2024, 11:16:05Sorry if I'm interfering here, I'm probably misunderstanding the problem.

If I plan a tour with Komoot and export it as gmx, I can navigate it in Locus without any problems. "Locus Map automatically generates navigation commands along the route in places of the most remarkable direction changes". Works perfectly.

I wasn't even aware of gmx files but will test this out. Guess I'll have to setup a komoot account. Thank you
Using Locus 4
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: freischneider on September 02, 2024, 12:31:29I see it the same way. Import GPX and navigate directly. Locus navigates by changing the angle of the line. From time to time there are too few but usually too many announcements.
Open alternative GPX in the route planner and recalculate. But this almost always produces a completely different route. Locus generates too few shaping points here. I think you should be able to set here: Many shaping points, few shaping points. I would always choose a lot. Even if it takes a little longer to calculate.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Okay this is what I'm worried about with the reroute option (too few shaping points) I have to risk the route being changed and this hasn't been made clear in the answers so far. So how do I avoid this? Is this a real risk? Afterall it is hard to evaluate when you are on the side of the road trying to sort out a problem.

Using Locus 4
  •  

GusGF

What seems to be missing here in the answers is why when I turned on the screen manually I was getting routing (voice commands). But when the screen auto turned off nothing came thru! Clearly routing from the Komoot GPX file was working!!
Using Locus 4
  •  

Menion

This is also not clear to me, but the fact you missed voice commands looks more like the Locus Map was sleeping and not navigating at all (usually > battery optimization). You may open the side track recording panel and see if there isn't any warning about existing battery optimization ...
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: Menion on September 02, 2024, 15:19:39This is also not clear to me, but the fact you missed voice commands looks more like the Locus Map was sleeping and not navigating at all (usually > battery optimization). You may open the side track recording panel and see if there isn't any warning about existing battery optimization ...

As regards battery optimisation Locus was set to unrestricted and was one of the first things I checked on the day. For battery usage in settings there is a screen called 'Background Usage Limits' which has
Sleeping Apps = 0
Deep Sleeping Apps = 50
Never auto sleeping apps (Locus doesn't even appear on this list, probably because the app was set to 'unrestricted')

I have 'Location permission' set to 'Allow only while using the app' which has worked but there is an option 'Allow all the time' but as I've setup the app up to not be put to sleep, this shouldn't be a problem.

If I use online maps as opposed to offline maps could this have a bearing?
Using Locus 4
  •  

Andrew Heard

A little off topic, but this battery optimisation issue is really complicated. I think I have it sorted with Android 14 & LM4, but Tasker still complains of some issue but doesn't tell me more so I can solve. Tasker & LM have a extensive webpage of settings to check, which I have. If & when LM thinks it is being optimized can it provide additional info to help the user rather than just the single line?
LM4.25.1.9.1142 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Check please also this page for some tips: https://dontkillmyapp.com

The app itself usually has only info "optimized" yes/no, but how, when to change it etc, is sometimes not known.

Anyway
- app excluded from battery optimization (confirmed that no warning info is visible in the side track recording panel)
- permission for Locus Map to use battery all the time
- the device itself not battery-optimized

=> it simply has to work!
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: Menion on September 02, 2024, 15:19:39This is also not clear to me, but the fact you missed voice commands looks more like the Locus Map was sleeping and not navigating at all (usually > battery optimization). You may open the side track recording panel and see if there isn't any warning about existing battery optimization ...

Apologies for the late reply. When I changed the location permission from only when using to all the time that seems to have fixed it. So fingers crossed that continues to be the case. I could have sworn that it had worked faultlessly with the former setting which is why I didn't suspect this might be the issue this time round. Thanks for your help :)
Using Locus 4
  •  

GusGF

Incidentally when I was doing a bike ride on the road which I'd planned on Locus Web and I had a few blips with the navigation. One I'll mention here and it was when there was an upcoming turn and the voice command was telling me to go the opposite way the map was showing!! I raised this here years before and if I'm correct someone suggested to put a waymarker after or before the turn (I can't remember) for each turn, which can be a bit painstaking. Is this something that can be fixed?
Using Locus 4
  •