Calibration of imported sat imaging maps

Started by c3po, July 28, 2011, 12:06:22

c3po

Hi everyone, now that I've got the maps working :) I ran into a little problem. I download satelite maps via MOBAC from *various* sources and then import them into Locus. Trouble is the maps are "a little" offset, meaning that my real location on Earth differs by ~200m from the location indicated on the map. So either the GPS receiver info is wrong (will investigate...), or (more likely) the map does not have the exact coordinates for the region in question.

Therefore is there a way to calibrate the map (that is to enter the real coordinates for one - or two ? - points on my saved map) so that Locus will then display my correct location on the map whenever I get a GPS reading ?

Thanks for the support... as always :)
  •  

Menion

it depend on map type you downloaded ... manual calibration of SQL files is not possible. Some map sources use a little bit different projection so this have to be specified in SQLite map file (as integer value - which are secret :) ) ... anyway I suggest to tap on Personal tab in Map manager and tap on your map and choose re-initialize map and choose map provider you downloaded
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

c3po

Hi, I was thinking the same thing: that maybe it is the particular map format (projection) that gets scrambled in the process of converting (source > MOBAC > Locus). Maybe there are additional steps in Mobac which could improve this ? Anyway I did initialize the map with the right provider and the error is less than 50m (which is good). Hoping it will get even better once I get out of the house :)

Thanks again for the support and for this wonderful application.
  •  

Menion

if now it's much better, I'm sure that now it's correct.

Anyway I don't know how exactly MObac say what king of map is in SQLite database. In Locus, I add manually some more info into database (that's what this calibration do), so I know, how to handle with this calibrated map (mainly which projection use to display map correctly)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •