Cycle lanes on one-way highways

Started by karlchick, December 16, 2023, 12:02:50

karlchick

Not many themes support cycle lanes, my os maps theme and John's Voluntary themes do.

But I've noticed some differences between OAM/LoMap maps and also mine/John's theme when it comes to rendering cycle lanes on one ways highways.

Here is what OSM define for cycle ways:

Dedicated cycle lanes
cycleway=lane is used to tag two-way streets where there are cycle lanes on both sides of the road, or one-way streets where there is a lane operating in the direction of main traffic flow.

In my theme I have options to let the user indicate if they are in a country that drives on the left or right, since the logic of which side a cycle lane should exist on a one-way highway depends on in this.

Wondering @john if you decided not to differentiate for one way highways?

Also wondering if OAM tag transforms cycle lanes differently to LoMap, as there are differences in the results using the same rules...

I guess I'll, have to go through the theme rules with a fine toothed comb to figure out what's going on...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

Tapio

Can you give me a position, would also like to look. Just to be safe: you're aware there's tag transform documentation on the OAM homepage?
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick

karlchick

I'll try a Locus map weblink for position:

https://web.locusmap.app/loc/51.86898:-2.22724:Cycle%20lanes%20on%20one%20way

Here's the osm link to the way too:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4225982

I wasn't aware of the tag transform documentation, will find and read, thanks.
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

john_percy

@karlchick
Embedded within my code for Voluntary, there is an option for drive on the left or drive on the right for cycle lanes.
It seemed a good idea at the time but I left it as a hidden option (read the beginning of the theme XML file) as the mapping was not reliable enough to make it worthwhile. I decided in the end to treat the marking as symbolic, rather like the pylon markings on a power line don't indicate where the individual pylons actually are.
I also don't like the fact that the lack of radio buttons for either/or choices means you have to rely on the user to turn off one option and turn on another.
Cycle lane mapping is complex and has too many different ways of mapping the same thing to be able to achieve a truly satisfactory solution.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: john_percy on December 17, 2023, 09:37:20I also don't like the fact that the lack of radio buttons for either/or choices means you have to rely on the user to turn off one option and turn on another.
Sigh. Oh yes, that would be a revolution and much needed, if in the xml we had possibilities like

!cat="category1"

or

cat="cat1|cat2*"
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: john_percy on December 17, 2023, 09:37:20@karlchick
I left it as a hidden option as the mapping was not reliable enough to make it worthwhile.

I tried your change from both to left and it works the same as my theme now.

I'm wondering what aspects of the mapping you found unreliable?

Is it that left/right tagged lanes are relative to the direction the way is drawn in OSM, hence it's dependent on the mapper ensuring the arrow on the way's center is correct? Or something else?

If the direction, I think it makes sense to make this visible in the map rendering so someone can update the OSM definition...

I also agree having not having radio buttons on the stylemenu is a major deficiency in the interface.
DiscussDownload
  •  

john_percy

@karlchick
To be honest, I can't quite recall exactly what was unreliable. It's not the direction of drawing the way because that would make the one-way incorrect. The theme allows for "reverse one ways".
I think the "unreliability" was simply that there are quite a few different ways of mapping this situation and OAM maps can't pick then all up.
I do recall there was one particular junction in Cambridge with bike lanes and turning filter lanes that looked like a dogs dinner and left me unsatisfied with the result in Voluntary.
But also, l purposely keep the number of options to a minimum and thought that "drive on left/right" choice for just one particular scenario was too much.
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: john_percy on December 17, 2023, 15:42:20But also, l purposely keep the number of options to a minimum and thought that "drive on left/right" choice for just one particular scenario was too much.

Yes, especially as it's two options that should be mutually exclusive.

I have got the two options for cycle lanes. But also use them for placing OS style road numbers alongsode dual carriage ways on the correct side depending on whether left/right hand traffic direction. Otherwise the road numbers appear in the central reservation for one of the conventions.

Also I tweak the symbol for post boxes, left hand drive uses red circles (like a plan view of our red pillar post box) and right hand drive uses square yellow box (like continental post boxes).

But, my OP was concerned with why LoMap and OAM render differently. Not checked the rules with a fine toothed comb yet... maybe over Christmas break I'll find time...
DiscussDownload
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: karlchick on December 18, 2023, 01:12:59But, my OP was concerned with why LoMap and OAM render differently.
OAM does a lot of preprocessing on cycle tracks and lanes to attempt to make sense of the various ways of mapping them. Lomaps does minimal preprocessing.
  •