NEW release of OS Map theme v20231013 out now!

Started by karlchick, December 01, 2023, 19:05:33

karlchick

Hi Everyone,

Finally the wait is over. After 2.75 years to I have finally completed the update to the OS Map theme.

Please check the main OS Map theme sticky post for more details.
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload

Andrew Heard

Quote from: karlchick on December 01, 2023, 19:05:33Please check the main OS Map theme sticky post for more details.
@karlchick - excellent. BTW @tapio has a nice feature - including the theme download link in his profile signature.

release notes.txt although dated 30/11/2023, only contains latest notes for v20210103?

The theme of my local suburban residential roads doesn't appear correct to me, or (more likely) at least has changed from the previous version. According to OS Map Day Legend.pdf, in my screen capture example below is Feature:Residential Name:Clare St Surface:Paved "Other Road" https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=17/-42.86223/147.30436 (emphasise road surface left:off right:on)
You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. 
whereas a very similar road close by has been tagged as Surface:Asphalt, and the rendering doesn't have extra dashed gray overlay.
You cannot view this attachment.
Comparing to the previous version (approx. 25-10-2021) didn't emphasize sealed roads, so technically I guess the new version is better, just not as readable compared to other themes, with the emphasis obscuring the road names. ~rant
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

karlchick

Thanks Andrew, I made a mistake with the release notes, fixed it now.

I'll take a look at the surface highlights and see what's going on.

I noticed Tapio's signature earlier, will do something similar too I think.
DiscussDownload

karlchick

Andrew,

Strange, the previous version v20210216 and the new version v20231013 seem to behave the same regarding surface highlighting. Attached is a comparison of v20210216, v2023101, and v2023101 modded to highlight all roads with asphalt.

Currently only tracks, raceway and cycleways highlight asphalt. Looking at the modded version I can see why I might have avoided other highways which are usually sealed anyway. With the dash unsealed roads option enabled it would be obvious when main roads are not sealed.

I agree with your ~rant about the highlights being too intrusive, they are drawn over the highways (like a real highlighter pen). I changed the way the hike/cycle routes are highlighted in this release and the new PROW highlights are drawn below the highway... I should do this for these highlights too.
DiscussDownload

karlchick

Quote from: karlchick on December 02, 2023, 00:59:51... the new PROW highlights are drawn below the highway... I should do this for these highlights too.

Attached is a quick test of doing this, think I like it...
DiscussDownload

Andrew Heard

All good Karl. Let me know when available to give it a try. Was your choice of Newtown (Wales?) to match my New Town (Tasmania)? nice ;-)
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •