Difference between Lomaps/OAM v4+?

Started by Tapio, May 23, 2023, 07:55:38

Tapio

Hi theme authors,

I noticed my theme doesn't work perfect with Lomaps. Well, I only test against OAM Mapsforge V5.

Can you tell, what and if there are general differences and what they are about?

Very general: are different assets included into lomaps? Maybe even renamed ones?

thx
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
I'm sorry but could I ask you for more info? What does exactly mean "doesn't work perfect with Lomaps."?
Anyway, some info about conversion can be found in topic https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=8427.0

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I can understand the sentence. Could I ask you to describe it more detailed?
>Very general: are different assets included into lomaps? Maybe even renamed ones?

•  

Tapio

I noticed few display differences, same theme displayed on Lomaps vs. display on OAM.

E. g. Screenshot with grey town area is OAM map, without grey is Lomaps.

Or in the last screenshot, only with Lomaps, it displays "Youth Welfare Office" at such a low ZL.

Will find and analyze the xml tags/osm objects when I have some time.
  •  

voldapet

The used tags in OAM and LoMaps are different. LoMaps use almost the same key|value as original OSM tags but as I know OAM uses lots of custom keys|values.

Anyway, the mentioned residential areas are available in LoMaps as `lm_landuse=residential_city` https://github.com/asamm/lomaps-mapsforge/blob/main/various/tag-mapping-xml/tag-mapping-tourist.xml#L946

The original `landuse=residential` will be available in the map in the next version of LoMaps
  •  

settler

Quote from: Tapio on May 23, 2023, 07:55:38Can you tell, what and if there are general differences and what they are about?

Contour data is very different, OAM is much more accurate. Lomaps needs to be zoomed in closer to see "meadows" etc. The same with buildings. Some tags are missing. OAM has tricks so that the name on one large object (for example - lakes, islands) is drawn once, there is no such thing in Lomaps. There are no island names if this name is specified not directly ("place=island"), but through "Relations" (type=multipolygon).

If you are using my theme, then you do not currently have the names of lakes (all).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Quote from: settler on May 23, 2023, 17:26:07If you are using my theme, then you do not currently have the names of lakes (all).
Thx Sergey, kind of, I have forked it (told you in your thread), too many own ideas how it should look  :D
  •  

Andrew Heard

Hi Tapio. As mentioned I really like your new theme. Thanks for all the hard work involved. One suggestion is to distinguish the road/ track surface eg. between sealed & unsealed. Surely something always of interest to the touring cyclist that try to avoid a rough section of road? I have a test POI at S 42° 30.771', E 147° 38.647' (Australia > Tasmania) that I use for comparing new & changed themes. Desert & OS Map themes are the best at showing a difference. I have even modified Desert to make it even more evident, even at lower zoom levels. Surprisingly given LM is targeted to cyclists, it's Hike & Bike theme (mislabeled "LM road" below) shows no difference for the road surface. Maybe something to consider?

BTW I couldn't find another topic specifically on the Tapiola theme.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

karlchick

Off the top of my head here are some of the key differences, I'll list things that are unique to oam/lomap v4 when using my new OS Map theme (not yet released):

OAM
OS crag data (GB map only)
10m contours (LoMap is 20m)
Peak Dist
to prioritise biggest peaks appear first.
natural=mud (mapped to wetland)
Embankments on highways (roads, paths etc)
Cuttings on highways (roads, paths etc)
Covered reservoirs
Wastewater_plants
Water_works
Underground parking
Preserved railways
Disused railways
Water wells
Location=Overground for pipelines

LoMap v4
Public Rights Of Way (UK, Designation tag)
Tree
Cathedrals
Separated ways for hike/bike routes
Full hike/bike route names
location=Underground for pipelines
Historic battlefield
Additional bridge categories

If only we could gave a map that combined a these items, it would be the best map ever, for me.

Items in bold are essential items for me and the OS map theme. I really really miss not having PROW (designation) on OAM and I really really would like to see OS crags and 10m contours on LoMaps.

It is possible to overlay both maps together to almost get the perfect map, but this is a bit slow and duplicates contours and some of the names in different positions.
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

Tapio

Thx Karlchick, very helpful. @Andrew Heard, sorry, totally missed your posting #6, will have a closer look at some point. Currently I just use 3 stages of markers (none, 1 or 2) for the GRADE1-5 path attribute, which is quite interesting for me in hiking.
And some "asphalt/concrete/etc" attribute.

I am a bit hesitant in that fields because surface and quality attributes are inconsistent and numerous.
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: Andrew Heard on June 26, 2023, 09:22:07Desert & OS Map themes are the best at showing a difference. I have even modified Desert to make it even more evident, even at lower zoom levels.

Andrew, did you also modify the OS map theme, the colour of the unsealed Road in your screenshot looks strange to me. Attached is a UK example of an classified road that transitions to unsealed, the casings become dashed, but the core remains the same colour...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  

Andrew Heard

hi Karl, yes I did, sorry for any confusion.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •