[APP] - version 4.15.+ ( 3/2023 )

Started by Menion, March 08, 2023, 13:25:43

balloni55

confirm #13 + #14
besides adding the missing functions of GC4L and Fieldnotes, the accumulated improvements of your geocaching task list ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Tapio on March 09, 2023, 08:57:31Have you tried 3D apps for terrain on a smartphone already? I did, after all wasn't fun to use.
@tapio - thanks - no I haven't tried 3D apps but have planned & ridden bad routes (according to my riding partner) because I didn't avoid the steep hills. It is far more reliable with track slope coloring & hill shading than 6 years ago. Remember route planning can be done on a larger tablet or even virual PC screen... maybe ;-) Just from a promotional point of view LM5 needs more than just minor incremental changes & a point of difference to competitors.

@tapio reminds me... Here's another small idea: long tap any place on map to display own custom context menu: at present long tap may display address @ tap position, but all sorts of other actions would also be possible, and efficiently handled via users menu.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

@Andrew,yes...I have turned off "Address on longtap". Would instantly bind it to a quick action (and then Tasker task) if it was available. And probably let it spit out nicely formatted address, with gmaps URL and Pluscode, all the good stuff.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

Andrew Heard

@menion nicely formatted advanced computed sync plan! thanks
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

T-mo

my ideas, personal preferences:

• LoPoints UI
    optimize layout and appearance, intents + contrast / cards-style, eye-symbols (like points and tracks), sorting (allow manual repositioning and maybe some half-smart-approach based on number of usage, maybe switchable and/or combined), categories (e.g. I potentially only need the 5 ski-sport-POI-groups during winter), the whole UI-experience
    • expert setting: theme-panel (layers)
    available with 1-click at symbol > Map-screen content > theme. Current Map-themes (list, overview) then by using long-press at symbol.
    • Backup
    like you noted sure, as being basic and essential
    • combined search through settings + features
    like search triggers both current searches and combines the results, different symbols and maybe collapsible groups

Optimizations. Honestly I am very happy Locus is already super evolved and powerful. Really like the new and upcoming changes towards MapsForge and themes.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

You will also need to improve search. It should work simultaneously in addresses and points.
  •  

lor74cas

I remember this
https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=8235.msg69978#msg69978
2 months and 2 versions ago and still not solved.

I tried the openstreetmap planner and all the possible profiles (Valhalla, OSRM, GraphHopper) they allow passage on the military road while locus does not.

@Radim V
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: Menion on March 08, 2023, 13:38:21Anything else serious?
Buddy tracking... sharing points & tracks with buddy... basically anything that's needed when you travel with a friend. These things pretty much remain in the same sad state since multiple years now, no fixes, no enhancements, no nothing. I've kind of given up on the topic, but since you asked... that's one point where Locus is seriously lacking.
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on March 10, 2023, 10:16:41You will also need to improve search. It should work simultaneously in addresses and points.
I completely agree. Locus search is pure usability horror from last century. A proper search is ONE SINGLE TEXT FIELD that simply searches EVERYTHING at once and shows results as they come in.

Making me decide in advance on where I want to search is just wrong on every level imaginable.
  •  

joeloc

Regarding hiding of UI elements to prevent Burnin: Latest beta makes everything disappear nicely, except the red track recording button. I configured it to hide as well, but it doesn't.

The copyright button also cannot be be hidden. 50% will only delay the damage, not fix it.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Fully agree - one text input field only.
However, sometimes there is a reason to restrict scope (latest when you are swamped by the all-in results.
Hence, there should be a expando below the text field, that has all buttons ticked by default, so people CAN restrict at will, in case of need. The buttons may mimick the current list of search sources.
Just my 2c :-)

Quote from: joeloc on March 11, 2023, 15:32:02
Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on March 10, 2023, 10:16:41You will also need to improve search. It should work simultaneously in addresses and points.
I completely agree. Locus search is pure usability horror from last century. A proper search is ONE SINGLE TEXT FIELD that simply searches EVERYTHING at once and shows results as they come in.

Making me decide in advance on where I want to search is just wrong on every level imaginable.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: T-mo, luce

slarti76

Even worse is when I start typing, realize I got the wrong "place" to search in, change it, and the input field is cleared - why's that? Makes no sense and would be easy to fix...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

Menion

Hi guys, nice bunch of ideas, thanks. So when I noted and analyzed all, seems that we have here four major categories
  • better work with online/offline LoPoints
  • robust search system
  • dashboard improvements
  • geocaching features

Where
2. search system is currently (already for a few months) in massive rework. During the next week or two will be in Beta a completely new online search. More about it later ...

LoPoints & Dashboard are very high on my priority list, so definitely something I would like to work on this year.

And geocaching ... good question. Will have to think a little more.

---

Other smaller tasks
- backup system: agree, I'll look at it soon
- 3D maps: huge amount of work that still does not worth it I believe
- recording statistics: I would love to see them too, but we are not the majority :)
- live tracking: I know, sorry @joeloc. This has to start with a rework of our old server and uniting it to a new web.locusmap.app site. I'll try to push it a little more.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

luce

Thank you Menion.

I would like to add Management of Track Waypoints as No. 5.

As for now, when I plan my hiking trips, I use embedded waypoints, so that the track file is able to be sent to my trekking partner as a complete KML file. These embedded waypoints can't be managed properly. I would like to be able to search for them, display them in a certain radius around the cursor etc.

So my workaround is saving every embedded waypoint twice – within the track and as a "standalone" version in my points folder. This is more work for me, but also raises problems, like when I edit a point in the points folder, it doesn't change in the corresponding track and vice versa.

A second thing would be the improvement of data sharing (e.g. via shared folder).

Best, Lucas

Radim V

As I agree on "One text field" completely, deciding what is important enough to deserve user attention may be just guesswork. Even if we keep track of history by users, it may be easier if you just tell us e.g. "don't want to search my personal content now".
Quote from: michaelbechtold on March 11, 2023, 15:53:21Fully agree - one text input field only.
However, sometimes there is a reason to restrict scope (latest when you are swamped by the all-in results.
Hence, there should be a expando below the text field, that has all buttons ticked by default, so people CAN restrict at will, in case of need. The buttons may mimick the current list of search sources.
Just my 2c :-)

Quote from: slarti76 on March 13, 2023, 09:41:18

Even worse is when I start typing, realize I got the wrong "place" to search in, change it, and the input field is cleared - why's that? Makes no sense and would be easy to fix...