- list of news of public versions
- Public versions
- Beta versions

Versions
8. 3. 2023 - Locus 4.15.0
10. 3. 2023 - Locus 4.15.1
16. 3. 2023 - Locus 4.15.2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

Hi guys.
Again big help with work on this new version. Not everything is probably final. Field test may reveal some remaining problems in the new compute of elevation values + prepared support for new V4 LoMaps...

The last few weeks were not too productive in the "Locus for Android" world. I've promised to prepare support for DXF to Locus GIS for Petr and in the end, I've spent almost three weeks on preparing the GDAL library, uff. Most work is finally done so time to spend more time with Locus Map, finally :).

We have of course some plans and things that need to be done, but still ... simple question (that may influence my personal preferences). What is the biggest pain/requirement you mostly have with the app, I should solve during the next cca 3-9 months? I have in mind a few main categories:

- backup system (united small and full backup & allow to set personal preferences what to backup)
- improve dashboard (missing items, simplify edit, improve charts, ...)
- management of the track waypoints (old topic)
- missing geocaching features (long list of missing features starting by live-map, mass edit & upload of notes etc)

Anything else serious?
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Quote from: Menion on March 08, 2023, 13:38:21Anything else serious?
The Lopoints system of temporary points. Awkward handling, allow predefine sets of categories etc.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

freischneider

Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Is some form simple of voting system for suggested areas worthwhile for deciding priorities? It's been used in the past. Take top 10 (say) most voted unstarted help topic suggestions as a starting point? Ask via Locus news that people can shape the next LM version 5. 15 minor releases sounds like nothing major has happened for too long. It's not my opinion but maybe a perception.

Personally, better point management (already underway) & dashboard with own buttons.

I know very unlikely but a 3D map view would be awesome;-)
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

CabrioTourer

If I must choose it's clearly dashboard.

But I can even live with 6 month of nothing. Locus Map is in a good state.

Menion

Thanks guys.
@Andrew Heard , I'm not boring at home with no idea what to do :). Anyway, I have a few categories where priorities are not perfectly clear and because most of you had a huge influence on the app during all these years, I would like to read some of your priorities. So thanks for sharing, appreciate it!!
  •  

baegas

I don't think a 3D map is absolutely necessary, but sometimes I want to know the topography of where I am while hiking.
The Locus team will take care of whether or not to apply the 3D map, but looking at the way Orux Maps uses it these days, it looks okay.
I think there are people who know

Orux seems to use Mapbox, but how about Locus also supporting Mapbox 3D maps?

If you need a 3D map, you should subscribe to the Gold subscription, and if you want to use the Mapbox 3D map in Silver, it would be better to pay a separate amount.

Andrew Heard

Quote from: baegas on March 09, 2023, 04:06:21I don't think a 3D map is absolutely necessary
@baegas - of course not, was just personal opinion

Like the successful Locus/ BRouter collaboration, LM could collaborate with similar 3D developer (mapbox?) instead of writing from scratch. But I have no idea. Thanks for the info.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

My priorities:
- User Settings Backup - now for me to send a file to the cloud for more than half an hour
- Working with Lopoints - adding new Lopoint including photos, editing text and names Lopoint.
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 08, 2023, 20:46:43I know very unlikely but a 3D map view would be awesome
a can of worms. SCNR.

Have you tried 3D apps for terrain on a smartphone already? I did, after all wasn't fun to use. I doubt it's worth putting it into Locus.

Andrew raises a good point, being able to better judge the terrains elevation could be improved. The simple grey hill shading isn't helpful enough.

Currently the best way IMO is using colored elevation.

But.

a) This is too hidden in Locus
b) People won't have the necessary cpt files for data/interpolators. Too complicated.
c) It is in need of a better overlay algorithm. We discussed it. See screenshot.

Really useful for planning. I've attached files for 300-900m elevation, if anyone is interested.

I think, Locus could do much more here. The information that is in the cpt files is easy, can be algorithmically generated. It could all be done by Locus internally on the fly, so that on UI side it just offers an easy way to set the currently needed elevation. Like with a slider.
Or what if Locus had a quick toggle for 2-finger pinching? In one mode, zoom map, in the other mode, change base elevation in the colored elevation... Just ideas. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but if colored elevation is made easy and well promoted it could be a killer feature and all of you @ Asamm millionaires. Almost.

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on March 08, 2023, 13:38:21We have of course some plans and things that need to be done, but still ... simple question (that may influence my personal preferences). What is the biggest pain/requirement you mostly have with the app, I should solve during the next cca 3-9 months? I have in mind a few main categories:

1) management of the track waypoints (not surprisingly my favorite ;)
2) improve dashboard (missing items, simplify edit, improve charts, ...)
I would add
3) rotating labels in vector maps (or, rather, make labels non-rotating in relation to the (rotating) map. That's the main area where Locus just looks so much worse than other concurrent map apps - and of course it's not just looks when actually navigating...
4) better overlay handling, e.g. with overlay presets. For example, I have overlays with hike routes, skiing routes, public transportation stops, all are best at different alpha values, changing between them is such a pain that I usually don't use the feature, even though it's quite good in principle.

Tapio

Another big wish: Try to integrate Falcos Tasker addon into Asamm or at least ask him, my impression is he has abandoned it, but idk.
  •  

John Moulson

Quote from: Menion on March 08, 2023, 13:38:21)
- missing geocaching features (long list of missing features starting by live-map, mass edit & upload of notes etc)

I would like to see features from the field notes add on incorporated into the app. Also, Adventure Lab Caches.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55

jonny.blue

Quotemissing geocaching features (long list of missing features starting by live-map, mass edit & upload of notes etc)

This is my favorite point too.
 - Please continue the started process to substitute the addon G4L. (Import of one named cache, live chart ...)
- define multiple different filters
  I often use special filters for different situations and it's a struggle to define and change all filterelements case by case (without a mistake 😚)
- include LabCaches
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55