Q: Are POI photos not "Geotagged photos"?

Started by Viajero Perdido, March 01, 2023, 20:56:17

Viajero Perdido

Hi.

I've uploaded a handful of photos to POIs using the new feature, not sure of the exact term, and they were accepted.  They show up when I tap a POI icon, as expected.

But when I turn on the "Geotagged photos" layer (and turn off the POI layers), I'd expect to see an indicator of where there are photos such as mine.

Without resorting to the Help, I have a sense "Geotagged photos" refers to something else, an older capability somewhere in Locus that I don't use.  But...  those photos I uploaded are technically geotagged ... no?

I think those photos need to be more discoverable ... somehow.
  •  

Menion

Hi Viajero,
yes, this is a little bit different feature. In the side "Map content" panel, tap on the "Geotagged photos" text, not the icon. Here you get a list of places in the device, where Locus Map search for photos and displays them on the map. By default, it should be only from the DCIM directory so it should be your personal local photos.

Photos you attach to LoPoints (thanks for this!) are stored in the Pictures\Locus Map\LoPoints\ directory so feel free to add this directory to "Geotagged photos" if interested.

The best method to check your own LoPoints photos and their statistics is in your profile (Main menu > top profile button) > My LoPoint photos.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Viajero Perdido

Thanks.  Actually it says, "Custom directories are no longer supported" on my Android 13 tablet, but it's moot because I have no need to use that (old) feature.

I was hinting that (1) for this new feature to be useful, there should be a way to see "Photos" pop up noticeably on the map, and (2) that it takes a trip to Help to realize that "Geotagged photos" isn't the way to do it.

So...  There's no way to see which POIs have new-feature-photos, other than by tapping on them?
  •  

Menion

I'm now not perfectly sure what you try to achieve. Anyway, I'm improved this feature a little bit so in the next version, LoPoints photos (LoMedia) stored in the device/Pictures/Locus Map, will be selectable in the "Geotagged photos" function as well. Is this what you want?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Viajero Perdido

It's not exactly what I was thinking of, but I imagine it'll help, thanks.

I was suggesting some sort of indication on the map, such as a modified POI icon (or maybe a tiny camera icon superimposed) via an online query, to indicate there's a photo available, tap to see it.  Use case: browsing a new area to learn about it, oh - picture!, tap to see.

This wouldn't help me specifically, but should enhance usability of the new POI-photo feature, and encourage people to use it.
  •  

Neoaliphant

This is interesting, I hope this means that POI, PhotoPOI, Lopints will start to merge together
having a photoPOI, that doesnt rely on local media, that can be synced is quite important, 

effectovely a private lopoint.
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Clearly I suck at communicating.  :(

I was trying to suggest an easy way to find public photos ... by having them indicated on the map.

(Tapping every POI is not an easy way.)
  •