[MAPS] - Vector maps

Started by Menion, July 17, 2011, 09:49:21

jones12ax7

Hello People,

I'm trying to create my own vector maps with Srtm2Osm (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Srtm2Osm
It gives me the .osm file and I tryed to create the .map file with: osmosis --rx file="srtm.osm" --mw file="strm.map"
It runs fine, but the maps is empty on Locus. Am I missing something?

By the way, I managed to convert Garmin .img to OpenStreetMap format, if someone is interested. I could open it in JOSM, but the map is empty as above.

Jonathan
  •  

durian

Quote from: "jones12ax7"By the way, I managed to convert Garmin .img to OpenStreetMap format, if someone is interested. I could open it in JOSM, but the map is empty as above.
The Garmin .img format is closed source vector map data, and OSM format is, well, a database with geo-data. I am not sure I understand what you did, could you explain a bit more?

-peter
  •  

jones12ax7

Here in Brazil there is a nice project called Tracksource Brasil, very similar to OpenStreetMap Project, but much more complete to our country. It has many trails and off road tracks. Unfortunately, they use a proprietary software called TrackMaker to develop the maps. Then, they export it to Garmin format to be placed on GPS hardware. Sadly they have no plans to integrate it on OpenStreetMaps project.

My dream is to place that wonderful maps on Locus, so I don't have to carry another gadget on trail. I converted the .img file to .osm, so I can use it on Locus. By the way, TrackMaker doesn't export to .osm directly. I had to do the following workaround:
 Original Garmin .img -> Exported as .dbx with Mapdekode -> Exported as .gtm with TrackMaker -> Converted to .osm with GPSBabel -> Converted to .map with Osmosis Mapwriter plugin

I'm wondering if Locus can only show some special layers os so, because all .osm maps I've tried from sources other than OpenStreetMap site didn't work.
  •  

r2d2

Hi Berkley,

wäre es vielleicht möglich Germany auch in die Länder-Downloads zu integrieren? Vielleicht in Nord und Süd? eine D-A-CH Version wäre sicher auch toll.

VIelen Dank für die bisherigen Karten - funktionieren super!

Lieben Gruß,

r2d2 (René)
  •  

guerini

Hi there and thanx for your work,

I have downloaded several maps (croatia, montenegro and bosnia-herzegovina) found with the second post but when I try to load one, I see only blank background and "not exists" written on it.
  •  

supermaz

Dear jones12ax7,

Maybe you should ask These questions to the mapsforge people as locus uses their library Form displaying vector maps
  •  

laufzeitfehler

Hi folks,

regarding my reported problem with the germany-0.2.4.map, I can provide an update.

It seems that the downloads were broken, although they seemed to have the right file size (~1GB).
The third download of the map - now with a download helper program which checks the MD5 Checksum - was successful and now the Map works fine.

So, if anyone has problems with white spaces in higher zoom levels of vector maps, check if the md5 checksum is correct!

Thanks to all for the support,
Robert
  •  

jusc

I´m not sure. MD5 of germany-0.2.4.map from 2011/08/07 is ok, but problem (white screen) at level 10 near Clologne (Köln) on Motorola Defy.
I would say: "Same as before"
J.
Regards J.
  •  

laufzeitfehler

Hi jusc,

Quote from: "jusc"I´m not sure. MD5 of germany-0.2.4.map from 2011/08/07 is ok, but problem (white screen) at level 10 near Clologne (Köln) on Motorola Defy.
I would say: "Same as before"
J.

You are right! I can confirm that there are problems with white screen at level 10/11 in Cologne. levels >= 12 are shown correctly.
I just tested Nuremberg ;-( Sorry about that.

As far as I understood, these problems are (possibly) caused by the mapsforge library... Shall we forward this issue to their bug tracking system, menion?

Greets, Robert
  •  

Menion

if you're sure it's problem on their side (so some missing lines, white tiles on place where not should be etc.) you can. Please do not report them some issue that will be probably caused by me (so some force close errors, some blinking, etc ). Anyway my subjective opinion ... their rendering system works really nice. Unfortunately it's some "school" project so developing speed isn't much fast. I hope that when I'll close all main features in Locus I want to have, I'll start on improving this library also. Anyway for now, report issues to them :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

supermaz

What might help to track down the issue is to use the mapsforge own viewer for their files. You can download it there or I can upload the apk here. Then this should be compared to the OSM data. If the viewer also displays white areas where OSM has data then it's the converter or the library.
  •  

Menion

very good idea! agree that checking issue on their own app is best things to do before reporting
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

laufzeitfehler

Hi,

with the official Advanced Map Viewer 0.2.4, the white spaces around cologne exist, too - so it seems to be a mapsforge bug.

See the Bug Report on mapsforge bug tracking system :
//http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/issues/detail?id=164

I also added some screenshots there, to get a better understanding of the problem ;-)

Robert
  •  

jusc

Hi Robert,

thank you. It seems that there are already other bug reports for the same issue (one created by me). Look at number 161 up to 164  at http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/issues/list.
J.
Regards J.
  •  

supermaz

Hi Robert,

Could you give me coordinates where this happens because i can't find this on my map which i converted myself.

Matthias
  •