Temperature sensor

Started by Wole, August 04, 2022, 14:19:22

Menion

Hmm interesting. I'm using this sensor only at home, so I'll try to test it outside during recording as well and let you know.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Will C

So I've looked at some of my tracks in the planner which shows what and when were being recorded by my MI Band 6 and ThermoBeacon. Interesting to see some gaps in the HR monitoring but clearly big gaps in the temperature and I think that after the drop-out after the first few hundred meters, any other temperatures recorded are in periods after I've woken the phone up. Hope it gives some insight.
  •  

Wole

Hello Menion,
I come back to the topic "Thermometer WS07".

Two questions or requests for this.

For me, the Bluetooth connection is regularly interrupted after about 40 to 50 minutes.
When I then look at the sensor manager, the connection still exists, but the message "no connection data available" appears.

Do you also have this problem?

I can calibrate the thermometer using the thermometer app. The corrected temperature is then displayed via the app, but Locus continues to display the temperature that is too high or too low. Can this be changed?

Last question, can the sensor also be installed in Locus Classic? I use both apps.
  •  

Will C

I'm interested to know if any updates have been made to improve connection stability too. I've given up on this function at the moment
  •  

Wole

The problem is apparently not with LM4, but with the sensor itself. I have now run the app Sensor blue on my cell phone. This app also breaks off after about 30 minutes despite the Bluetooth connection still existing. This means that the sensor itself no longer sends any data after a certain period of time. Unfortunately, it is not possible to contact the company's support via Amazon to find out the reason for the data transmission being aborted.
  •  

Will C

That's a useful bit if info. TBH I've just about given up on it and I'm going down the garmin tempe route. The sensor blue device isn't even water resistant.
  •  

Wole

Hello Menion, hello Will C,
I have already said that after about 30 minutes no more data is sent despite an existing Bluetooth connection.

By chance I found yesterday that the data is sent continuously if I switch off the display just before the 30 minutes are up and then switch it on again immediately.

Then the data transfer runs for hours.

I have no idea what turning the display off and on does though.

Perhaps my observation is an approach to a permanent solution.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Will C

Wole

Hi Will C,
another little tip for you:

I did some more experimenting. I have now installed the "Display off" function in the lower menu bar and set the bar's visibility to "always". Now I can tap the "Display" off button while driving without any problems and then switch the display on again by double-clicking it. In my opinion, that's the fastest and works great today on a two-hour drive.
  •  

svartbjorn

Good news: I bought both the temperature/humidity sensors SensorBlue WS07 and WS08 from AliExpress. They both connected to LocusMap using the entry "Thermometer WS07" with no issues. I used the Locus Dashboard editor and created a map overlay showing temperature/humidity directly on the map. I tested both sensors with two other sensors I have, and both WS07 and WS08 are accurate and within spec (temp +/-0.5degC, humidity +/-5RH). Both are excellent devices. The WS08 has a display and runs on standard 2xAAA batteries, while WS07 has no display and requires the coin cell battery CR2477. On AliExpress WS07 and WS08 appear under the names Oria and Oria Upgrade respectively. The user manual that comes with the package actually uses the name "SensorBlue" on both devices, confirming they are SensorBlue devices.

Menion

Ah, thanks @svartbjorn , so WS08 is fully compatible, perfect!!!

Even after 3 months, I was not able to purchase a stupid CR2477T battery, no easily available here, so sorry, I owe you all here some tests. Anyway, Locus Map still confirms that Bluetooth connection to other sensors is very stable and working so here it should be no exception. So it really looks more like some problem with the sensors themselves.

EDIT: hmm but on the official site write also about 2477 batteries for WS08. So are you sure with 2xAAA?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

It is true that SensorBlue on their home page specifies the CR2477 battery. By checking more on AliExpress this morning, I just found out that Oria has two versions of this WS08, one with the original case size of 50x50mm, sensor opening in the front and CR2477 battery, and one with increased case size 58x58mm, sensor opening in the back and 2xAAA batteries. Both versions are sold on AliExpress AMIR & ORIA Store.
But both obviously uses the WS08 hardware design inside, since the paper user guide that came with the 2xAAA version I received yesterday, has the text "SensorBlue WS08" on it. ALso on the back of the device the label shows "WS08D".

Today I will be on a 4 hour skiing trip and will bring both the WS07 and WS08 with me connected to LM4 to test connectivity. I will post an update on the connectivity when I am back this evening.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

baegas

https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/1005005104787887.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2kor

The model that uses 2xAAA batteries seems to be this model

I've been using the WS07 for a year, and it's not bad, but it's not waterproof, and the lowest temperature measurement is -20 degrees below zero, so I want a lower temperature measurement in winter where I live.

https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/1005002007413266.html

https://inkbird.com/products/hygrometer-ibs-th2

So, could you possibly make this model (INKBIRD IBS-TH2) available in LocusMap?
  •  

svartbjorn

This is the promised update on connectivity testing:
Phone is Samsung S22 Ultra with A13. I had 3 sensors connected to LM4: WS07, WS08 and a heart rate chest strap TICKR 7106. The TICKR stayed connected all the time and data was received with no interruption (checked the graph after the trip). I have used the TICKR several times and connectivity is always rock solid.

However WS07 and WS08 have connectivity issues. First I did several tests with screen on for >30 minutes, LM4 in the foreground and locked, and didn't touch the screen. When I checked the phone after >30 minutes, the LM4 sensor menu said the WS07/WS08 were connected, but no data received. I had to either turn the screen off and then on again (as experienced by another user in this thread) or tap Disconnect followed by Connect to reestablish data transfer.

Then I did several tests with screen off. Same issues. Each time I turned the screen on, LM4 showed no temperature data initially. Some times after 3-5 seconds, temperature was shown again, but some times I had to tap Disconnect/Connect to reestablish data transfer.

At home I tested WS07/WS08 with the SensorBlue app with screen on all the time. After exactly 30 minutes the app stopped showing data. By putting the app into background and then back into foreground, data transfer was reestablished. If I did this operation every 25 minutes while data transfer was still ok, another 30 minutes of operation was achieved.

Conclusion: It seems to be a 30 minutes timeout in the sensors themselves. Confirming what another user experienced and posted earlier. With LM4 turning the screen off and on before the 30 minute timeout is a workaround. This gives you another 30 minutes each time. Must be some sort of background communication with the sensor when the screen is turned on again. If LM4 could send some sort of command to the sensor every 25 minutes or more often, connection should be stable. 

Will C

Just to mention that i had the audio coach set to announce the temperature plus other metrics every 1000m. Depending on the activity, that's every 5 to 10 minutes. I assume that locus pings the sensor for temperature at that point. This is not enough to keep the sensor communication "awake". As a work around I wouldn't mind the audio coach bringing the phone screen on if that's all it takes. Currently I've given up on this in LM4, and record all my activity metrics in a different app now.
  •  

lor74cas

Hello,
since these external devices almost all have the possibility of downloading the data in txt or csv format where there is a time stamp and the monitored data, perhaps the data could simply be combined at the end of the respective recordings.
Unless it is essential for the user to see everything immediately on Locus as is the case for cyclists who want heart rate and power always visible.
@Menion do you think it is possible to combine a csv with a data and timestamp to a gpx track in locus, a bit like this site should allow https://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php ?
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •