Lock screeninput and hardware buttons

Started by florisq, July 08, 2011, 11:31:29

florisq

Hi, I love Locus and I hope it can get one more feature, the ability to lock the screen and hardware buttons, but with the screen on. The unlock procedure can be the same as the one for the default lock screen, so swipe from left to right or some other pattern, or maybe assign one hardware button for lock and unlock (after holding it x seconds, configurable).
When hiking and motor cycling I look at the screen often to check if I'm still on route etc, but the rest of the time I store my phone in one of my pockets. If I don't lock the screen and hardware buttons there is a risk the phone starts making calls or other things, and the only way to lock it currently ootb is turning off the screen. After some searching I found the app 'Screen Tools 2' which does the trick for me now (it locks the screen and most hardware buttons, to unlock I need to press the back button), but if Locus provides its own locking mechanism it would be even better.

To summarize, I would like functionality to lock the screen (input) and hardware buttons, enabling the functionality with pressing a button in the app or a hardware button, and unlocking / stopping the functionality by a long press on the software or hardware button, or a swipe or other pattern comparable with the current Android lockscreen unlock mechanisms.

Thanks!
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  hey this is really weird request. When I see after day trip on battery consumption, then almost 50% is display, rest is GPS and only a small part is Locus and then rest. So why should you want to keep your screen ON when you do not use your phone? Second thing is that 'Screen Tools 2' program have to use any hack to do this because I'm sure, there is no simple way how to make 'inactive all buttons and screen' with some method
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

florisq

I did buy a new battery with twice the normal juice, so I can keep my screen on all day. When I walk I use GPS routes, so I need to look at the route every few minutes; normal procedure then is to push power, unlock phone, and check where I am. As this always takes some time and is bad for my power button I just keep the screen on all the time, currently using screen tool 2; screen tools is started as seperate app that only shows a small sign at the bottom of the screen and is transparent for the rest, so I can see Locus.
  •  

r2d2

Hi Menion,

I also would like to have such an option. I was on a 2 week tour over Austria ans Slovenia and used Locus the whole time on my bicycle :-)
That was the very best way to cycle exact on the right track (see attached picture). To let the screen on at any time, of course I need electric power. That was easy with the e-werk (http://www.bumm.de/produkte/e-werk/e-werk.html) - a genious part!
The last day of our tour we had rain, so the rain drops causes chaos on the phone by tabbing on buttons, lines, other apps..... The Phone I use is a Motorola Defy, so rain is no problem (it's water proof  :D ).

To add a feature to protect the screen makes sense for me. Please think about this option. Thanks a lot for the Locus-app - in my opinion the best gps-app!

Cheers,

René
  •  

femto

Quote from: "menion"e... I'm sure, there is no simple way how to make 'inactive all buttons and screen' with some method

Hi menion,

that's not correct! ;)

NoLED for example does exactly that: disabling the touch screen while the display is still enabled. And you can decide which hardware button leaves this mode.
  •  

Menion

pretty nice r2d2 :) I had to send to public :)) (by twitter) ... OK, I'll look at it ...

EDIT: screen lock added - check in next version and let me know if this solution is OK
  •  

florisq

Cool Menion, thnx! (And try it, its really nice to always have the screen on during hiking :-))
EDIT: Just checked it in the latest release, looks great! I'll check if the unlock mechanism isn't triggered when I store the phone for a few minutes.
  •  

Menion

fine, test and let me know ...
  •  

florisq

Hi Menion, the current unlock mechanism is also triggered when the phone is stored, is it possible to change the unlock mechanism? thanks.
  •  

Menion

really? how's this possible? It need a long click to unlock?

Any suggestion?
  •  

florisq

Maybe its possible to use a slide to unlock, or assign unlock to one of the hardware buttons (fi the back button).
  •  

florisq

Hi Menion, is it possible to change the unlock mechanism?
  •  

Menion

everything is possible ;) ... I'll do something with this
  •  

florisq

Looks great (even with animation :-)), thanks!!
  •  

florisq

Can you also lock the home and other buttons?
  •