Rotate map - doesn't rotate map

Started by Mek, February 27, 2022, 14:56:29

Mek

Hello,
I have a problem that the "Rotate map" function doesn't work. When I guide to a geocache and turn the "Rotate map" function on, the map doesn't rotate (but the function looks like turned on).
Locus version: 3.57.1, Android 11 with latest updates from Samsung. Phone is Samsung Galaxy A51.
It has worked previously, maybe last year, but can't remember since when it broke, so it looks like a regression bug.
If there is anything I can do to investigate on my side, I will be happy to :)
Do you like Scrabble? You can play on SKREBL.EU (my personal project) - free, various language versions available!
  •  

Mek

Nothing I could try to resolve this?
This problem is super annoying when trying to find a geocache...
Do you like Scrabble? You can play on SKREBL.EU (my personal project) - free, various language versions available!
  •  

balloni55

what are your setting/GPS&sensors/Orientation > Map rotation mode ?
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Mek

Map rotation mode: Auto-change, 3,6 km/h
Use true bearing: ON
Compatibility mode: OFF

I didn't change these settings, it stopped working by itself a few months ago but can't remember when.
  •  

balloni55

Quote from: Mek on March 24, 2022, 12:51:07
Map rotation mode: Auto-change, 3,6 km/h
Use true bearing: ON
Compatibility mode: OFF

I didn't change these settings, it stopped working by itself a few months ago but can't remember when.
Is the compass working generally and if you guide to a geocache ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G398FN mit Tapatalk

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Mek

Yes, also when guiding, the arrow changes orientation while on foot. The compass (on the location screen) also rotates when rotating the phone.
  •  

Menion

Hmm and if you change rotation mode to the "Hardware compass" and enable map centering, does rotation works even when you're standing still?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Mek

A-ha! When I enabled map centering, map rotation suddenly started working. This was the same with "hardware compass" as you suggested, and also with my current setting ("auto").
When I disabled map centering, map rotation stopped working, and map stayed in last rotated position, no matter how I positioned the phone.
I can live with this workaround, but hope this helps if it is some kind of bug.
  •  

Menion

Nope, it is intent. Rotation is by default active only when the map is centered. Otherwise map jumps under fingers and movement is not so friendly as with current system.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Mek

Mek

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.
But how come that it worked before, without activating map centering manually first? I can't remember, but maybe map centering was also activated automatically when turning Rotate map on?
  •  

Menion

Before, centering was not necessary if I remember correctly.
You can enable very similar behavior to what it was before with Expert settings > Dual centering button option.
  •  

Saturo

I did not find this setting. Is it a LM4 pro bonus feature?

•  

Menion

Not a bonus but yes, it is available only in the Locus Map 4.
  •  

john_percy

I'm afraid that though I understand the reasons for it, I find this new behaviour considerably less than intuitive. It caught me out only yesterday, and I ended up thinking the compass wasn't connecting to Locus.
So, if map is centred then centring button is blue. If the rotate button is tapped, map rotates and rotate button goes blue. All fine so far.  If map is dragged, centred button changes colour back, rotation is locked, but rotate button remains unchanged and blue. My suggestion is rotate button remains blue but with a small lock on it? Or, not my preference, a toaster message to say "map rotation locked"?
Also - and this is a bug, not a UX preference - if map is not centred and the rotate button is tapped, the rotate button turns blue, and the map rotates to what seems to be the last direction recalled from when the map was centred. It certainly does not rotate to the correct direction in any case. That also caught me out a few weeks ago and it only now that I've decided what was wrong. Does that need a toast, "live map rotation disabled if map is not centred" and the rotation turning off?
All this above was tested on Locus Pro, not Gold.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Thanks John for the feedback. "Bug" fixed.

Usability: I'll have to think about it a little more. But at least I fully agree, that the current solution is not ideal for 99% of users (that is my goal).
  •