OpenOutdoorMap - Make your own mapsforge maps for Locus

Started by bm.ffb, February 07, 2022, 21:22:52

bm.ffb

In many weeks of testing I have developed a Windwos batch script to generate maps for Locus which are very close to maps probided by OpenAndroMaps. This script enables you to generate a topographic map for any area of the world.

The script and all necessary software will run on a "normal" Windows 10 PC. All details will be found on my website. Although the website is in German, you can translate the most parts easily and the script inself is mostly in English. You will find download links for the map-generation-script, all necessary other scripts and download links for all software packages.

The maps generated with this script will be named OpenOutdoorMap (OOM) . There is also a test-map for download.

https://www.maiwolf.de/openoutdoormap

I am happy to get any feedback und suggestions.

Regards
Bernard

jonny.blue

Wow 😎 ... that looks like a lot of work and testing. 😏

•  

bm.ffb

Just to mention. I have generated a few maps for the northern alps region. You will find download links here:

https://www.maiwolf.de/openoutdoormap/index.html#karten

There are maps for:
TEST (part of upper Bavaria)
Bayern (Bavaria)
Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Wuerttemberg)
Österreich (Austria)
Schweiz (Switzerland)

Tapio

So now that looks like a lot of work and time investment and probably not doable for a mere mortal. Can you describe, what can be the advantage of creating an own map? Or maybe you have examples why you do it? Something you maybe don't like about oam maps? Thx! I'm just not yet seeing the advantage... 😐
I'm used to fiddling with themes in order to make improvements.
Meanwhile, downloading and testing your map...
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

bm.ffb

I have used OpenAndroMaps for years and I got so excited about the maps that I wanted to understand more details. Yes, my OpenOutdoorMaps are nearly the same but

• I was interested to understand the making of mapsforge maps. Since I did not find a comprehensive and detailed information on the flow of making these kinds of maps I tried to document the process in quite some detail.
  • Nobody has to use the maps. This is a free offer as many other maps. Everyone can decide.
  • You can choose any map area you want and generate a map.
  • If you need an immediate update of your map you can do it.
  • When one understands the map making process you can adjust/add/remove/consolidate tags for your purposes. Therefore, the current OpenOutdoorMaps have differences compared to other maps. I. e. there is more detail information on parking areas, road access and so on.
  • Since I am using a rather old device I was interested in maps with smaller file sizes. This is the reason why I omitted tags which are not interesting for me. In this way the OpenOutdoorMaps are considerable smaller in file (storage) size.

Choose any map you like and be happy.

Tapio

Thanks for your reply. Options are always good and I hope you didn't misunderstand... I just had no idea, due to my lack of knowledge, about the benefits.
"I. e. there is more detail information on parking areas, road access and so on."
Now that's interesting for me. Will compare...
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

Thanks from me too, it is always interesting to see a different approach.

I just want to mention, that LoMaps generator is also available as a public source here: https://github.com/asamm/lomaps-generator. LoMaps are currently based on an older V3 systems, but this should be easily modified by a parameter during generation.

I mention this mainly because it should be really interesting to create a single united extendable system working for all ... hmm, quite a hard task I believe.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

T-mo

honestly, being able to understand and manage the complete toolchain and generate individual maps is great.
but putting efforts being others able to do so and sharing tools and description
is absolutely master class!
Let me say thanks though I am not able to dive in the very near future (time and projects)!!
  •