Best settings fpr gps

Started by Papa, July 04, 2011, 15:07:55

Papa

Hi there,

in every app you have seetings to improve the function of the gps.
In locus there also are many possibilities.
Do you have a manual or sth else with the best settings. Or which settings would you recommend?
My problem is, that after 5 or 10 sec i have a gps fix with up to 10 sats. I know, that is very fast. And I use the app "tracker booster" from the market to avoid, that gps turns off when locus is closed or the sreen is off. But the accuray of my gps signal is normaly only between 20 and 30 mtrs.
Is there any chance to get a better accuracy?

thanks for your help.
Jurgen
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  I think there is no change to improve quality of internal GPS. Best ot achieve better accuracy is to use external Bluetooth modul, which will also increase battery life. (this is my opinion - discussion is welcome of course). About another program that do not allow disabling  GPS - you may also enable any function in Locus that need GPS and that will also keep GPS enabled when you minimize app or turn screen of - guiding, track recording, POI alert, etc. are these functions
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

berkley

Just a short point to external GPS: I always have an accurancy below 2 meters. Most time it is 0,9 or 1,1 meters. So go and get yourself an external GPS and you'll be very happy with it!

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Papa

Interessant - wie geht das?
  •  

berkley

Sorry for off topic...
This is international section in this forum. There is a sub-forum for german discussion: viewforum.php?f=27
Don't take this too hard, it should be just a friendly advice ;)

Quote from: "Papa"Interessant - wie geht das?
This should mean:
QuoteInteresting - How does this work?

So to answer your question finally:
The internal GPS chip of the devices aren't too good when it comes to accurancy. But it is possible to use some external GPS devices over bluetooth connection. There is an uncountable amount of external bluetooth GPS receivers out there. Depending on your needs you can pay between 10 € and 10.000 € for such a device.
If you have one, just use the Locus feature to connect to an external bluetooth GPS (find it in GPS settings). This has two main advantages:
(1) Because your phone doesn't need to use its own GPS chip, your battery will last longer.
(2) The GPS accurancy will be very better.

That's it. For further question you can post here in english forum or create a new topic in german talking forum. ;)

Cheers, berkley

Edit: Found an interesting link: http://www.gpslogbooks.com/gpsaccuracy.html
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Papa

Thanks for your answer and the hint concerning the language ;-)
I will try out your recommended link.
In fact, I need locus for trecking, jogging or cycling. I think that for these needs, an exernal gps shouldn't be very expensive.
Jurgen
  •